New England Patriots Spygate 2.0?

RuskieTitan

30 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So this is a big deal, right? I feel like this statement was kind of glossed over in this thread, but this seems huge. Because this is them admitting that people working for the Patriots violated NFL rules. And okay, maybe, if this were the Browns or the Lions or the Rams, okay, whatever, stupid thing happened, slap on the wrist, move on. But this is the Patriots. Violating NFL rules on filming what they shouldn't where they shouldn't. There's no way the penalty isn't going to be massive, right? Even if it is just some stupid accident they knew nothing about.

This is like Vontaze Burfict coming out and tweeting "Yeah, I hit that guy in the head." Just the repeat offender escalation on this penalty is going to be nuts.

I disagree. Very clearly they are pointing out that the filmers were independent contractors and not part of the organization. They go so far as to say no one in football operations even had access to the film or project parameters. This is some insulation statement admitting nothing. Next statement will be that the camera people were actually Jets fans and this is all an elaborate plan by the Jets to gain ground on the Patriots. 

Regardless the NFL deserves no trust to perform this investigation. Time and time again they’ve shown they can not investigate their own. I don’t even care if the Patriots did cheat at this point we all know the NFL will only punish them if the public finds out about it. 

46 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

I disagree. Very clearly they are pointing out that the filmers were independent contractors and not part of the organization. They go so far as to say no one in football operations even had access to the film or project parameters. This is some insulation statement admitting nothing. Next statement will be that the camera people were actually Jets fans and this is all an elaborate plan by the Jets to gain ground on the Patriots. 

Regardless the NFL deserves no trust to perform this investigation. Time and time again they’ve shown they can not investigate their own. I don’t even care if the Patriots did cheat at this point we all know the NFL will only punish them if the public finds out about it. 

So why say 'we accept responsibility' if this is a non-issue. 

That was the best denial confession I've ever seen. 

"We are innocent but rules, that we didnt know about, were broken by people we pay money to, even if they dont technically work for us, and we accept whatever punishment happens" I mean, they admit that rules were broken and try to claim that they didnt know about it. 

And all of these people saying "hurr durr its Cincinnati and they dont need to cheat to beat them" have you seen the patriots offense recently?

Also, this is Tom Brady's last year. There is massive incentive for them to do whatever they can to ensure that old man brady gets a bye week. They are very very close to being a wildcard team or even #3 seed. They arent making it out of the AFC this year and are not the same team they were. not getting a bye is a death blow for them imo. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The Pats spygate system was literally the Astros on steroids. Juiced to the gills, Arnold, type of steroids. It was so advanced and blatant cheating that it completely ruined the integrity of the sport. But the NFL tried to save face and save their brand. 

Like, you do not that every team films the opposing sideline, right? That you’re allowed to within the rules?

The only thing the Patriots did wrong was filming f.rom the press box, not their own sideline. And that had only been outlawed that offseason by a league memo.

Try and live in the real world.

24 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Like, you do not that every team films the opposing sideline, right? That you’re allowed to within the rules?

The only thing the Patriots did wrong was filming f.rom the press box, not their own sideline. And that had only been outlawed that offseason by a league memo.

Try and live in the real world.

Ahh the famous “everyone does it” that 98% of Pats fans use and 98% of the real world doesn’t. 

I hope for your sake the Pats are found innocent. Otherwise bye bye Bill 1-2 seasons and Brady high tailing to a new team. Plus one or two first round picks gone. 

34 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Ahh the famous “everyone does it” that 98% of Pats fans use and 98% of the real world doesn’t. 

I hope for your sake the Pats are found innocent. Otherwise bye bye Bill 1-2 seasons and Brady high tailing to a new team. Plus one or two first round picks gone. 

Good thing there's you who can feed us all the info from one side while ignoring any other information like actual coaches saying it's common practice. Thank you for keeping it real at all times 

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

So this is a big deal, right? I feel like this statement was kind of glossed over in this thread, but this seems huge. Because this is them admitting that people working for the Patriots violated NFL rules. And okay, maybe, if this were the Browns or the Lions or the Rams, okay, whatever, stupid thing happened, slap on the wrist, move on. But this is the Patriots. Violating NFL rules on filming what they shouldn't where they shouldn't. There's no way the penalty isn't going to be massive, right? Even if it is just some stupid accident they knew nothing about.

This is like Vontaze Burfict coming out and tweeting "Yeah, I hit that guy in the head." Just the repeat offender escalation on this penalty is going to be nuts.

ban belichick, ban them from the playoffs!

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

No it wasn't. It was in the NFL Constitution and Bylaws BEFORE the 2006 memo. That's why it was issued in the first place: because they had been caught ILLEGALLY filming teams in the past. And whadd'ya know? They got caught violating it again. And again.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 1

I honestly think this is a big nothing burger but the statement by the Pats makes me wonder

The team said it acknowledges that the production crew "unknowingly violated a league policy by filming the field and sideline from the press box."
"The sole purpose of the filming was to provide an illustration of an advance scout at work on the road," the statement read. "There was no intention of using the footage for any other purpose."

If there is one team that should know this rule backward and forward, so there is no mistake, it should be the Pats.  Being accused of abusing it before.
Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Green Bay Packers security officials caught Matt Estrella shooting unauthorized footage at Lambeau Field. When asked what he was doing, according to notes from the Senate investigation of Spygate that had not previously been disclosed, Estrella said he was with Kraft Productions and was taping panoramic shots of the stadium. He was removed by Packers security.

This sounds familiar...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I really don't think the NFL has any reason to care about those two things though. Independent contractors or not, the Pats were paying them. Whether anyone in football ops had access to the film, it was still filmed.

Like, I don't think there's any actual cheating here, realistically. It would be an incredibly stupid way to do it and thing to try. I'm just not sure it matters. I feel like the Pats, employing someone (contractor or not), who filmed what they shouldn't film, is all that's going to matter. Because the rules are about filming. Not who does it or whether or not they use it. The excuses or details the Pats list in the statement don't change the breaking of the rule that they do admit to. It's like when a player fails a drug test, and they say their doctor prescribed it and they didn't use it for performance enhancement. The NFL doesn't really care about those details. Just that the rules weren't followed.

• Like 1

Pats hater checking in here. 

I don't think Pats are cheating any more than other teams. I think all teams cheat. My take is that Pats have been the best mixed with a little luck at the right times hence 6 sbs and 9 appearances. I just want the luck to fall another way now and again. 

But reading this story I do remember the one time this year I watched the Pat Macafee show he had an interview with Kyle Van Noy. , 
At one point Van Noy was asked to say what's special about Bellichik. He told a story about an unidentified person on an unidentified opponent at some point in the past.
And that  Bellichick told them based on hand movements, he knew what play the opponent was gonna have. 

Very possibly it was a player and he caught it on regular film. I've heard other players talk about studying their opponents like this in the past.
Or perhaps it was something from these alleged illegal films. Story is vague enough that it could be either. 
Just something that came to mind.