New England Patriots Spygate 2.0?

RuskieTitan

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Vic Ketchman is a writer who worked for the Packers and Jaguars with responsibility for running their team websites:

"I was the editor of two team websites. In addition to content, I was responsible for management of the site, which included living within a budget. There's no chance I would've spent the money required to send assets to Cleveland, or hire a video production team from Cleveland, to video a pro personnel advance scout sitting in the press box. That kind of video content could've been accomplished in my team's press box at no charge to my division." 

This suggests there was a budget that needed to be approved and that approval suggests Bill was aware and involved in the decision to spend the money
Why would you spend all that money if you're not getting any value from it ? Football operations is suddenly going to allocate a big bag of money for a fluffy website shoot ? That does not pass the sniff test.

Why would Bill need to sign off on that? It has nothing to do with the football team.

Its a documentary on the advanced scout scouting the Bengals in preparation for next weeks game. This is such a non-issue its hilarious. I thoroughly enjoy watching people scramble to try and make it seem bigger than it is though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Why would Bill need to sign off on that? It has nothing to do with the football team.

Its a documentary on the advanced scout scouting the Bengals in preparation for next weeks game. This is such a non-issue its hilarious. I thoroughly enjoy watching people scramble to try and make it seem bigger than it is though.

The part that, at least to me, makes it a big deal is that they filmed the sidelines, which is a huge no-no. You can film the advance scout doing his/her job without filming the sidelines for 8 minutes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The part that, at least to me, makes it a big deal is that they filmed the sidelines, which is a huge no-no. You can film the advance scout doing his/her job without filming the sidelines for 8 minutes.

Agreed, but again...They aren't employees of the Patriots. Its some independent production company. Also, again, that gives us nothing. What would we get?  A video of a coach talking into a head set and covering his mouth? Good stuff. Should come in handy.

Agreed, but again...They aren't employees of the Patriots. Its some independent production company. Also, again, that gives us nothing. What would we get?  A video of a coach talking into a head set and covering his mouth? Good stuff. Should come in handy.

I guess it depends which angle they're filming the sidelines from. You can get hand signals and various other things. I mean, there's a reason it's considered cheating to do that. It's not like it's just a rule because it's a rule.

And tbh it doesn't matter if they're independent or not - they were wearing Patriots gear and said they were Robert Kraft employees - do you really think that footage wouldn't make it to Belichick?

• Like 1

I don't see how they didn't alert the NFL or the Bengals. Just financially speaking, you're using the NFL's and the Bengal's product for your own gain - they're going to want to approve someone filming their product for commercial purposes and possibly review the tape before it leaves the building so nothing is accidentally released that they don't approve. I feel like that's common sense for anyone who's a media professional.

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

@3rivers Goodell could care less about cheating, his main goal is to protect the brand. That’s all he cares about. If he knew this whole time Pats were cheating but the media didn’t know, he would of just looked the other way. But if this story starts getting a ton of media traction, expect a pretty big investigation. 

I agree Goodell has to go. He is only there to lace the owners pockets with money. They love him. 

The integrity of the sport must be kept at all times. Without integrity there is nothing. 

agree on all this.  The word investigation is a mockery though, a total waste on all accounts. Fire goodell first, then move forward. As for the integrity, how many more times can things like this happen in a given timeframe before the fans decide to quit the nfl?

This whole situation is borderline ridiculous.

It's nearly impossible to not go into copyright infringement against the NFL, while shooting in a football stadium.... let alone shoot a whole documentary....

It really baffles me how billion dollar organizations fail to lawyer up  and clear things with them, before doing the most basic of actions.

It's pretty obvious you'd need the NFL's permission for that kind of stuff.

As to the illegal videotaping of the Bengals' sideline, the timing certainly doesn't help, considering they're gonna play them next week. But is this a pattern or some random event?

Unless proven otherwise the big deal here is the copyright infringement.

• Like 1

Let me get this straight... And feel free to add or correct me but...

It was a video shoot, of a patriots scout at the Bengals practice, being filmed about his job role in the system?

The footage included 8 minutes of sideline footage, capturing some hand signals that are very seldom used these days outside of adjusting plays?

They got permission from one of the two teams there?

The made a mistake, admitted their mistake and accept fault for not taking all of the proper necessary steps?

...And so now everyone is saying that the Patriots for 20 years have been doing this, all of their superbowls and victories are a sham, Bill isn't a good coach he's a cheater, and the Patriots have been doing this to cover up their scheme that they've been running all of this year as well?

wow.

Edited by lolsurebro

3 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

Let me get this straight... And feel free to add or correct me but...

Well, you asked for it:

It was a video shoot, of a patriots scout at the Bengals practice, being filmed about his job role in the system?

Incorrect. It was a shoot at a GAME vs. the Browns and Bengals, for a documentary.

The footage included 8 minutes of sideline footage, capturing some hand signals that are very seldom used these days outside of adjusting plays?

I like how you feel the need to put things like "very seldom used these days" to justify your team's behavior.

They got permission from one of the two teams there?

That's a fancy way of spinning it from "they were caught filming their upcoming opponent that they DID NOT get permission from".

The made a mistake, admitted their mistake and accept fault for not taking all of the proper necessary steps?

When you're caught red handed and turned in, what else do you do? They're also distancing themselves from the crew, using the word INDEPENDENT regularly. They're still Robert Kraft employees.

...And so now everyone is saying that the Patriots for 20 years have been doing this,

People are saying that they MAY have been doing it for 20 years. They DEFINITELY DID from 2000-2007.

all of their superbowls and victories are a sham,

Just "maybe". The first 3 certainly were.

Bill isn't a good coach

No one's saying this.

he's a cheater,

Yes

and the Patriots have been doing this to cover up their scheme that they've been running all of this year as well?

The thought it that PERHAPS this has been done before. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I guess it depends which angle they're filming the sidelines from. You can get hand signals and various other things. I mean, there's a reason it's considered cheating to do that. It's not like it's just a rule because it's a rule.

And tbh it doesn't matter if they're independent or not - they were wearing Patriots gear and said they were Robert Kraft employees - do you really think that footage wouldn't make it to Belichick?

Hand signals? What teams still use hand signals? I'm sure they were just parading around in Patriots gear illegally taping stuff. Seems reasonable.

Hand signals? What teams still use hand signals? I'm sure they were just parading around in Patriots gear illegally taping stuff. Seems reasonable.

No, it seems arrogant, but that's exactly what is being alleged here. They were wearing Patriots shirts, they told the Bengals staff they were Robert Kraft employees, and they are alleged to have been illegally filming the sidelines for 8 minutes.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

No, it seems arrogant, but that's exactly what is being alleged here. They were wearing Patriots shirts, they told the Bengals staff they were Robert Kraft employees, and they are alleged to have been illegally filming the sidelines for 8 minutes.

I am seeing a trend. Its obvious that these hand signals are critical to the Patriots success.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Well, you asked for it:

Incorrect. It was a shoot at a GAME vs. the Browns and Bengals, for a documentary.

I like how you feel the need to put things like "very seldom used these days" to justify your team's behavior.

That's a fancy way of spinning it from "they were caught filming their upcoming opponent that they DID NOT get permission from".

When you're caught red handed and turned in, what else do you do? They're also distancing themselves from the crew, using the word INDEPENDENT regularly. They're still Robert Kraft employees.

People are saying that they MAY have been doing it for 20 years. They DEFINITELY DID from 2000-2007.

Just "maybe". The first 3 certainly were.

No one's saying this.

Yes

The thought it that PERHAPS this has been done before. 

-Game, practice, whatever. Potato, potahto.

-As mentioned, I now realize the impact that recognizing hand signals has on a teams success. My apologies.

-Their terrifying 1-11 opponent was in the background, and now we have 8 minutes of hand signals.

-Zoinks. If only we had gotten away with it! Perhaps next time we won't notify another NFL team that we are there doing it.

-What they did 2000-07 was illegal because of where it was filmed from, not the filming itself.

-That's the beauty of having an opinion. Nobody has to agree with it.

-You're right. Im a liar, just like my awful hand-signal-thieving team and Im pushing a fake narrative to cover up my real intentions!

-Thanks for the input

-Because bias and hunches are grounded in fact.