New England Patriots Spygate 2.0?

RuskieTitan

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If it ended right now, and they concluded that 8 minutes is the only thing, I'd slap a huge 500K fine and maybe a 4th Round Pick.

However, this absolutely demands a complete and very lengthy investigation (which I think will happen). If it is discovered they have been doing this all season, or even multiple seasons, then it should be two 1sts, max fine for Pats, Kraft, Bellichick, and Bellichick suspended two full seasons.

I think it'll end soon, and I think that punishment is more than what they will actually get. I doubt it is anything more than a fine - and that's mostly because they admitted they broke the rule. 

3 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

So this was nothing, as most reasonable people assumed when the story broke. Those that keep trying to make something out of nothing are obviously not fond of the Pats, not surprised. The jealousy in this thread is ugly. 

If by "most reasonable people", you mean Pats fans.

ELX9TrrXYAEYDQi?format=png&name=small 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well the issue is the Pats already admitted they violated the rule.  So proof isn’t in doubt  here.  If it was a question by all means let the investigation play itself out. But their admission kind of moves it to the next stage.  Which is why their past matters so much.  

Would actually have to read the rule to see if their unintentional breaking of it actually matters in determining punishment. 

It really depends on what is written and if/what exceptions are made to it. 

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

The fact you can't think of any other "cheating scandals" in football pretty much proves his point.

How does the absence of something prove another?

Payton got suspended for Bounty Gate, Tomlin fined for over stepping the sideline, that one Jets coach who tripped the player was fired, and all of these were big news when they broke --- but tell me who's out here getting caught taping signals? Pats have been caught twice. Stop acting like 31 other teams are colluding against the Pats. Any team that cheats will get caught because all 32 teams have a vested interested in outing any and all cheaters.

It’s funny that some people say 'there’s nothing to see here' yet accuse others of being the biased ones. The facts are clear:

• The Patriots asked the Browns for permission to record from the press box for a video series. The Bengals were not informed.
  • The 'Patriots' Film Crew was recording the Bengals' sideline for the 'entire first quarter.' 
  • Bengals' security confronted the Film Crew, who turned the footage over.
  • The Patriots acknowledged that "the production crew [...] inappropriately filmed the field from the press box."
  • The production team included a full-time Patriots employee (per Jeff Howe). The Patriots had stated that the team "included independent contractors who shot the video."

Here are a few quotes from Belichick:

"evidently this is our production people on the TV show that were there. I have absolutely nothing to do — we have absolutely nothing to do with anything that they produce, direct, shoot or anything."

"So this is something that we 100 percent have zero involvement with."

"we have absolutely nothing to do with the production people and what they do for the TV show and everything else, other than I tape a TV show with them."

The article notes:

Belichick said the advance scout was “absolutely not” recording Cincinnati’s sideline, which is illegal under NFL rules.

Yet the Patriots' statement read:

We understand and acknowledge that our video crew, which included independent contractors who shot the video, unknowingly violated a league policy by filming the field and sideline from the press box.

Note: I'm not accusing the Patriots of lying here. It is plausible that the advance scout had nothing to do with the recording. But it's not a great look.

One last quote:

“A scout can’t film the opponents as an advance scout, and our video people aren’t even allowed to point a camera at our opponents in pregame warmup or their side of the field or anything else to test out their equipment. They 100 percent know — all of our scouts, all of our video people and everything — they absolutely know what that is."

Take all of this in and try to say honestly "there's nothing here" or "nothing happened." I'm not quite ready to put on a tin-foil hat just yet, but there was absolutely wrongdoing. In a vacuum, it's very possible Belichick didn't know until afterward, but this ain't their first rodeo. It's also possible he didn't want to know, so he wouldn't be blamed for anything. Suffice it to say there will be a punishment (perhaps severe, perhaps not), but without something more, without a "smoking gun," as they say, any talk of voiding championships or playoff disqualification is premature.

• Like 1