49ers C Weston Richburg tears Patellar Tendon; out for season

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Ben Garland, step right up. This O line has done a great job of filling in when called upon. However, Richburg is a very important piece. From making the checks at the line to the blocking that is asked of from a C in the Shanahan offense.

Yea it will interesting to see if Garland is capable of making those much needed reach blocks for our inside-zone runs. Richburg was sooooooo good at those. Biggest difference to run game this year, versus last year was a healthy Richburg. Hope Garland can step-in and be at the least decent in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea it will interesting to see if Garland is capable of making those much needed reach blocks for our inside-zone runs. Richburg was sooooooo good at those. Biggest difference to run game this year, versus last year was a healthy Richburg. Hope Garland can step-in and be at the least decent in that regard. 

Good news is that he knows that system and Shanahan has had him before.

Ben Garland is a UDFA in 2020 making $800,000. This is his opportunity to turn that into a multi-year deal with the Niners by showing he can hold down the center position. If he can't, then Center/Guard becomes a priority in the draft as this is the second straight season Richburg has dealt with significant injuries. 

I really hope the team is properly preparing for this. I feel like they should be dancing around giving others reps just in case Garland bombs. He looked okay against the saints and really bad against the seahwaks, so I'm not sure which we are getting. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is that the report? 

No, but everything i've read about Patellar tendons is bad. My FIL is podiatric surgeon, asked him and he says it could take a very long time to rehab it properly. 

Patellar (I think) is largely considered the worst one to tear. 

Edit: 6 months to a year to heal. Not including rehab.  Worth noting, athletes tend to get over this stuff faster due to resources and body. 

Edited by John232