MoL First All Decade Thread (Top-10 Athletes 25-21 pg 7)

mission27

24 minutes ago, Nazgul said:

This thread sucks, tbh.

TLO will be back at a functioning laptop tomorrow night as opposed to being on my phone. 

rest assured, we will be getting a top 10 taylor swift songs of the decade by tomorrow night. 

we are still narrowing down what all we want to do lists for. We have quite a list compiled of smuggest athletes. We have a top 25 with honorable mentions ordered. Should start that countdown within the next few days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dwight_Schrute said:

I have the opposite problem. Finding ten T-Swift songs actually worth including on a list of "good songs"

This thread just makes me jealous tbh. Maybe I need to be more provocative to get official warnings.

Do not recommend.

• Like 3

We will begin with two lists, Top-10 athletes and Top-10 Taylor Swift songs of the decade. 

Starting with some honorable mentions on the athletes list: 

Russell Westbrook and Russel Wilson

Hard to separate these two tbh.  Both had stellar college careers but were relatively less heralded in the draft process early this decade, due to perceived physical limitations.  Both are extremely smug and smugly self centered, evidenced by Westbrook never winning a title with KD and Wilson throwing on the 1 yard line to get all the glory and blowing a Super Bowl.  Barely missed out on the top-10. 

Rafael Nadal 

The only thing keeping Rafa from a spot on the list is that Roger Federer is much smugger than him.  Rafa has smugly won the head to head matchup, although Roger has had the advantage of late, and his heatedness is legendary.  However, he will never have the natural born smugness or accomplishments all around that Fed has, even if Fed’s peak was a little earlier than the 2010s.  As a side note, we have excluded Djokovic from this list because mission hates him.

Serena Williams

Again, basically misses the list because Fed has monopolized smugness in tennis for the past 20 years.  Her accomplishments are undeniable and deserve an HM.

Hockey Players 

There are undeniably some smug hockey players but we are excluding them out of personal animus towards @JBURGE and his people.

@TLO care to take it away?

• Like 2

Well, @TLO has asked me to take care of the honorable mentions for Taylor as well.  So without further adieu, below are the honorable mentions that did not quite crack the list for the woman who owned the decade in popular music:

HHM - Any song that doesn’t make this or TLOs list, they are all phenomenal.

Shake it Off 

Tbh I would have fought TLO harder to have this included in the top-10, but couldn’t pass up the ****ting opp to **** on him.  How did this not make the top-10, seriously?  I remember exactly where I was when this song came out.  It was generation defining and announced to the world that Taylor Swift was the force in pop music for the 2010s.  

We are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together 

If Shake it Off was a coming out for Taylor 2.0, then We are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together (or w/e the real title is) was the culmination of Taylor 1.0.  The ultimate break-up song.  The drama when she called out Harry Styles at the VMAs or whatever was the height of early 2010s pop culture.  

——————

As a side note, there have arguably been 5 Taylors to date

Taylor 0.0 - the original Taylor beta version sang about a romanticized version of love and relationships with no real basis in reality, because she was like 14 and never had had a boyfriend.  This arguably overlapped quite a bit with...

Taylor 1.0 - the Taylor that we saw from the mid 00s through the early 10s, and the one that gave her her reputation as a heartbreaker, the master of the breakup song and teenage girl diss track. 

Taylor 2.0 - the pop Queen, we started to see this version of Taylor in Red and she really took over with 1989.  This is Taylor at the top of her powers and took her from one of the top performers of her generation to THE top. 

Taylor 3.0 - i’m Sorry the old Taylor cant come to the phone right now.  Why?  Because she’s dead.  While that was a great line, Taylor 3.0... the mean girl on a revenge tour over being wronged despite the fact it was her own doing...was probably the worst version. 

Taylor 4.0 - who we are currently living through, sort of a combination of Taylors 2.0 and 3.0, the music has returned to a place we can all get behind but some of the antics are a little over the top.  Add the impact of Taylor’s most stable relationship to date and you have a generally happier Taylor, but one who is clearly going through some self reflection and change as she approaches 30 and the next decade.   

——————

Dear John

Sticking with that theme, Dear John is post-breakup morose Taylor 1.0 at her absolute best.  Tremendous re-listanability. 

I Know Places

There is a beat and a life behind this one.  One of the most underrated tracks on 1989.  At the start it sounds almost like something you’d hear on Reputation, but blossoms into a real thrilling and uplifting tune. 

All Too Well

Similar to We are Never Ever... this one makes the list in large part due to one very strong live performance at the Grammys.  We’ve arguably never seen Taylor get as into it as she did that night.  

Daylight 

One of mine and TLO’s favorite tracks on Lover.  It doesn’t get the attention of some of the other big name, heavy hitters but is nonetheless imbued with the spirit of this album and really ties the entire album together.  Mission spent a lot of time listening to this song contemplating what it would mean to have a child.  Fortunately, nothing has come of that yet (that he is aware of) but it really made an impact. 

Delicate 

In the MoL’s opinion, Reputation was easily Taylor’s weakest all around effort of the decade.  It unfortunately emphasized all her negative traits (like the fact that she’s an all around POS human being) without the up beat pop aesthetic of her other albums.  If there’s one song on the album that shines through, and got a lot of deserved radio play, its Delicate.  

The Man 

On my first few listens through, this was my personal #1 on Lover.  The line about Leo in St Tropez is one of Taylor’s best one liners in any of her tunes.  It may not have the staying power of some of the other tracks, but it definitely deserves an honorable mention. 

Wildest Dreams 

Just an all around sexy track, great music video.  Some people thought it was bad because I guess it paints an unrealistic and exploitative picture of Africa?  Idk, sounds dumb.  Really good all around song.  Gotta love it.

I Dont Want to Live Forever

One of the few off album hits to make our list so far.  This helped fill the long waiting period between 1989 and her post-1989 work.  A little dark, but the moodiness really works here.  The music video is another classic.  

Today Was a Fairytale 

This makes the list solely because it was played at TLOs prom and he got round the plate if you know what I mean.  No, his date was not mission.  

The Lucky One, Everything Has Changed, and Starlight 

The 13th, 14th, and 15th tracks on Red dont get the attention they deserve but certainly have played a prominent place in mission and TLO’s personal playlists since 2012.  The Lucky One in particular is probably mission’s favorite Taylor Swift song.  Yeah its fairly simplistic, and nobody really knows what the **** she is talking about, but the sound is one of the best sounds there is.  Everything Has Changed is a real good collaboration.  And Starlight, which I guess is about the Kennedy’s, is about as uplifting as they get.  

• Like 2