doug pederson

ninjapirate

45 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I don't know if Howie gets demoted, will he be told to bring someone in to assist with personnel decisions perhaps? Could be some changes in the pro/college scouting department. 

Usually Howie has thrived on the numbers side of things, he needs to see something has to change in the way he evaluates talent.  

Joe Douglas was hugely overrated on this front frankly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

No disagreement from me, but Howie can't be the sole guy going forward. 

I know they think highly of the guys they promoted, Andrew Berry having a more analytics mindset than Joe.

Which I’m wondering if we’ll see that show up as a leaning towards more data driven moves like going with higher graded athletes overall. Getting more team speed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Assuming he had a hand in what we drafted (which sounds like it was his job description) yeah he was pretty bad.

We won a super bowl with coaching and good pro scouting really.

That and building up the lines years before he came. Who was a drafted player outside the lines that did much, really just Ertz.

Kinda crazy how coveted Joe was yeah.

2018 draft though is looking solid at the very least. Goedert, Maddox (who I think we all overrate a tad), Sweat (who’s looked good)? Pryor looked pretty good when he got a shot, Mailata a promising 7th round flyer

We would be pretty stupid to fire Doug... He is still one of the best play callers in the NFL, just doesn't have the personal or talent to work with. All he has is Wentz, and he asks him to throw 50 times a game.

We need talent in this team, that's the bottom line. We have the slowest offense in the league. We also need to fire Schwartz and get some CBs.

2 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

We would be pretty stupid to fire Doug... He is still one of the best play callers in the NFL, just doesn't have the personal or talent to work with. All he has is Wentz, and he asks him to throw 50 times a game.

We need talent in this team, that's the bottom line. We have the slowest offense in the league. We also need to fire Schwartz and get some CBs.

To be fair Pederson is also to blame for the talent on the roster. He like a lot of OC's fell in love with the Big Bodied WR. The Basketball,  high point the ball, RZ threat WR's offenses were going to 5 years ago.

Alshon, Ertz, Goedert, JJ all 6"3 or bigger.

It's only recently the NFL is starting to go back to the Faster Shiftier WR because of KC, Rams, Ect having success. The  NFL runs in cycles. Eagles 10 years ago had those types of WR's. Doug Won a SB in large part to these very players Alshon and Ertz high pointing the ball. Using leverage, their size, not speed.

Problem is Defenses adapted, Doug didn't. Players have aged, players are injured. So look for Doug to adapt his Philosophy and TRY to incorporate more Speed throughout  the X, Y and Z positions the next two seasons.

Let's just hope they dont continue piss poor drafting taking the Hollins, Gibsons, Agholors and Huffs of the Worlds! They've tried , just failed miserably. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately DP doesn't have the background to push Howie to make changes in the scouting dept. That's going to have to come from the top. As others have suggested Howie is probably loyal to a fault retaining/promoting guys that haven't shown they can consistently find prospects that pan out. 

6 minutes ago, Elky said:

Doug Pederson didn't win a SB; his assistants won it. Without an all-star casts of assistants, Pederson actually kind of sucks as a head coach.

Sucks is many bridges too far I’d say. He certainly was helped a lot by Reich and I think Defilippo was big for Carson. He pushed him really hard. But most good teams are the same way.

Doug is a solid coach and leads the team fairly well. I think unfortunately he needs to start caring more about personnel. Howie keeps giving him scraps at certain positions when we just need to invest in a quality piece (WR, CB, LB,) He can’t just go with the flow anymore, he needs to demand upgrades.