Tom Brady is Not the Problem

BayRaider

The OL and playcalling are the two main problems, in my opinion. The OL has no push in the run game and Brady often has a rusher in his face as soon as he finishes his drop. Brady is pretty mobile in the pocket but there's no way he can evade the rush like Lamar or Mahomes can. Injuries on the line haven't helped.

Meanwhile, the playcalling has little motion to confuse the defense, and few bunch sets to get people more open. It's like 4-5 option routes every snap.

To a lesser extent, Brady has historically been too slow to trust young receivers. Meyers and Harry are just starting to get significant targets now.

2 hours ago, drew39k said:

Tom is currently more talented than his box scores would dictate, but his statistical struggles are not without his own fault.

He isn't as good as he used to be. I'm not debating that. He is still talented to be an upper echelon Qb thanks to some of his, still elite talents.

His work ethic has deteriorated. In years past when he hasnt had the best weapons around them he would work with those players in the off season and preseason to make sure everyone was game ready. Edleman doesnt becomes Edleman without Bradys tireless work ethic. The past two years, he has simply refused to put in that level of work and that has impact his play and the play of the people around him.

Hes a goat, and he is still a great qb, but he is not the qb of 3 or 4 years ago.

Source on this claim?

Not doubting. Just asking for your source.

28 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

Source on this claim?

Not doubting. Just asking for your source.

You need direct sources on his absence at OTA's? I mean, does Tom Brady himself count? His own mouth? His social media accounts. Patriots beat writers, Robert Kraft.  Take your pick.

44 minutes ago, drew39k said:

You need direct sources on his absence at OTA's? I mean, does Tom Brady himself count? His own mouth? His social media accounts. Patriots beat writers, Robert Kraft.  Take your pick.

Direct sources on anything that remotely says what you were suggesting? And no, absence from OTAs isn’t a direct source.

It doesn’t even have to be direct, I’d take any source or insider quote that says Brady’s work ethic has fallen off.

Edited by Yin-Yang

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Not literally, no.

However, Quarterbacks, more than any other position in the game, can mask issues at other positions. That isn't to say Tom Brady could take a team of peewees to the Super Bowl. But he's certainly masked mediocre talent surrounding him during his career. Other than Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski, I don't believe he's ever had any elite receivers and the OL  has been up and down in his time there. Despite this, he managed to remain productive at a consistent level.

But didn't NE have a good defense in the years they won it all?  That was what I was thinking of.   It is hard to tell if their defense this year is as good as their ranking when they played a lot of poor offensive teams this year and struggled against teams with better offenses.

I wouldn’t say Brady is the same. His numbers have fallen three straight seasons. Winning the SB last year makes people tend to forget that Brady wasn’t dominant in the regular season last year. Brady this year has a rating+ of 92 when his previous worse was 101. Meaning he’s statistically 10% worse than he has ever been in 18 years. 

Brady isn’t bad yet, but he isn’t the same as in the past.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

But didn't NE have a good defense in the years they won it all?  That was what I was thinking of.   It is hard to tell if their defense this year is as good as their ranking when they played a lot of poor offensive teams this year and struggled against teams with better offenses.

NE has always had solid defenses, sure.

I fail to see how defensive ranking has to do with being a consistently productive QB, though.

Perhaps you misinterpreted my initial post. When I said "he isn't good enough to do it himself anymore", I was, of course, referring to him leading an effective offense.

41 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Sony was a terrible pick. I know he put up numbers during the 2018 playoffs but that was more about the line looking like the 91 skins then him. He can’t catch either so when he’s on the field you know they are running.

If only we picked Chubb instead.

• Like 1