Guice-Best news Possible

RSkinGM

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Dalvin Cook did pretty much the same thing. Good thing the Vikings cut bait...

Dalvin Cook 

2014: 170 carries

2015: 229 carries

2016: 228 carries

2017: 74 carries (season ended week 4)

2018: 133 carries (started 10 of 11 games, and started Week 1) 

2019: 223 carries

Derrius Guice 

2015: 51 carries

2016: 183 carries

2017: 237 carries

2018: Injured (handful of pre-season snaps) 

2019: 42 carries between three games.  

There is no comparison between Cook and Guice.  if Guice starts next year, he will only have 42 carries for the past two seasons.  It will be nearly two full years since he's had meaningful carries as a starter in the NFL.  It's hard to justify those 42 carries split between three games as meaningful.  

Personally, they needed to continue to bring him out here and gradually give him more carries, because the same thing is going to happen.  You can't treat him with kid gloves, but at the same time, you can't give him 20-plus carries a game.  We have to gradually up the workload.  

I can’t believe a lot for you want to just kick off a what will he third year runningback with loads of talent to the side after an actual fair shot due to some questionable hits. Is the intelligence of Bruce Allen seeping into this forum? He shouldn’t have gotten back as soon as he did but the medical staffed pushed and cleared him early this season, and now this.

My god.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

I can’t believe a lot for you want to just kick off a what will he third year runningback with loads of talent to the side after an actual fair shot due to some questionable hits. Is the intelligence of Bruce Allen seeping into this forum? He shouldn’t have gotten back as soon as he did but the medical staffed pushed and cleared him early this season, and now this.

My god.

The issue isn't that Guice doesn't look good. He looks great (of course, when he's out there). But then again he plays RB, which has a very short professional span. And then the fact the team has a shortage of draft picks this year. And the fact that we aren't gonna be competitive the time Guice is under contract (2 more years). I'm not saying to get rid of him for peanuts. But if we could get a Round 2 or Round 3 draft pick for him then I'm listening.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

My god.

If there is a history of injury, you always need to take a look at that, no matter where it's coming from.  The knee problems are a huge concern, especially since he just can't get the carries under his belt.  There is an adjustment in how your body takes tackles and big hits from the college to the pros, and he's barely been out there to be hit. 

As others have said, the shelf life on RBs is short, and he has two years left on his contract.  Other 2nd round picks have been released going into their third year for similar things.  And at this point, Guice really hasn't proven anything at this level except his knees not holding up.  At some point you have to consider what's going on with his knees. 

On 12/11/2019 at 11:30 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Dalvin Cook 

2014: 170 carries

2015: 229 carries

2016: 228 carries

2017: 74 carries (season ended week 4)

2018: 133 carries (started 10 of 11 games, and started Week 1) 

2019: 223 carries

Derrius Guice 

2015: 51 carries

2016: 183 carries

2017: 237 carries

2018: Injured (handful of pre-season snaps) 

2019: 42 carries between three games.  

There is no comparison between Cook and Guice.  if Guice starts next year, he will only have 42 carries for the past two seasons.  It will be nearly two full years since he's had meaningful carries as a starter in the NFL.  It's hard to justify those 42 carries split between three games as meaningful.  

Personally, they needed to continue to bring him out here and gradually give him more carries, because the same thing is going to happen.  You can't treat him with kid gloves, but at the same time, you can't give him 20-plus carries a game.  We have to gradually up the workload.  

There's kind of a comparison but Cook did have more carries. Guide can not help that he tore his ACL in preseason anymore then Cook can't help that he tore his ACL in week 4.

Next year will be two years removed from Guice’s torn ACL, just like this year was Cook’s second year removed from his torn ACL in his rookie season.

So, I guess we’ll see if the comparison continues and Guice breaks out next year - two years after his ACL year - like Cook did this year - two years after his ACL tear.

Sometimes I get frustrated at hearing how many people want to get rid of someone due to injury. Guice has shown that he can be electric and he has such good burst through holes. Football is a collision sport. Injuries are going to happen. But I cant write off this kid just yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

Sometimes I get frustrated at hearing how many people want to get rid of someone due to injury. Guice has shown that he can be electric and he has such good burst through holes. Football is a collision sport. Injuries are going to happen. But I cant write off this kid just yet. 

Yep, me too man. It always frustrates me or bc a young player was drafted behind a good vet - even a pro bowler - and they want to get rid of that young player bc they aren't producing... Well hello! They're playing behind a Good vet who never gets injured, how are they supposed to produce? They barely get snaps on offense or defense! It’s incredibly frustrating when people want to get rid of young players for those reasons.

Edited by turtle28

On 12/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

If there is a history of injury, you always need to take a look at that, no matter where it's coming from.  The knee problems are a huge concern, especially since he just can't get the carries under his belt.  There is an adjustment in how your body takes tackles and big hits from the college to the pros, and he's barely been out there to be hit. 

If he was under a free agent contract, then it might make some sense to cut him. However, he's on a rookie deal that will take up about 0.5% of the overall cap space. Unless he gets severely outplayed in training camp by some combination of Peterson, Love, or random rookie RB, why would you cut bait on him now? Sure, he looks like he won't pan out, but he's cheap and, when he plays, dynamite. That tells me to wait until the last possible moment to make the cut decision (especially just to recoup less than $550K in cap space in 2020).