2017-18 Offseason Talk

Glen

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So the Rockets owner is selling the team?  I wonder why?

It's likely at its highest value that it's ever been. Harden coming off a MVP year as well as brining in cp3 means there is going to be a lot of revenue coming in. Financially it makes sense. But I'm not sure I could ever sell my team unless I didn't care about basketball at all.

I wonder if current players can be part/full owners in the NBA.  If so I could see LeBron and his buddies getting money together to buy the Rockets and all head there on discounted deals since they'll get their money back from being owners.

There would be a whole slew of problems if current players ended up joining together to buy a team for themselves. The only situation I've ever heard of something along those lines is Jagr buying a polish(I believe) team, and speculation says that if the NHL ever kicks him out for being too old he'll just play over there.

Yeah, I started looking into it and the closest you can do is to buy controlling stocks in what owns a team, like MSG.  But how awesome would it be to see a team controlled by the players so their performance is directly tied to their income.  It would be interesting though to see players have a real investment into the team that they play for, it might actually bring back some of the rivalry of Basketball.  I mean the movement of players is great, especially for the lesser players that can only get bigger contracts normally by going to other teams to get a bigger role or to be more of a final piece in the machine.  For example if a team is able to draft a player like LeBron, Wade, Durant, MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe, etc that they could get a % ownership into the team that drafted them rather than salary that would affect the cap, which would in turn allow those teams to bring in better talent to support those players.  If a player leaves on his own volition to join another team, then he would be have to sell his share back to the owner at the average of the value from when the share was given compared to when he left.  If a team trades the player, then the team would have to compensate him at the higher value of the share between when he first got them and when they are moving him.  I would say teams would also only be allowed to have 1 player that could have a stake in the team at any given time as well and to qualify to be given that option, they would have to qualify for the Super Max.  So it would literally be the players that would be taking up the 30-40 mil/yr contracts.

tl;dr

Give owners an option to offer players a % share of the team that wouldn't count against the salary cap.

To get the offer player must be drafted by that team and be able to qualify for a Super Max contract.

Only 1 player per team could be have such a contract.

If the player leaves by his own choice, must sell shares back at the average of the value of when the shares were first given and their value at leaving.

If a player is traded, owner must buyout the player at the higher of value of when they were given or their current value.

Allows teams to keep big stars like LeBrons/Durant/Curry/KAT/Davis etc without having to gut the team to pay for them and they still get value for their play.  I mean the fact that LeBron increases the value of the Cavs for example by something ungodly like $500 million to just be on the team.  So him getting the % ownership in the team means he's getting his pay while also making it so teams can put better players around them.

On 7/18/2017 at 11:19 AM, MKnight82 said:

So the Rockets owner is selling the team?  I wonder why?

Without knowing the inner workings of his mind, my best guess is that he's making a smart financial decision. From what I read, he's ONLY worth 1.9 billion. He bought the team back in 1993 for $85 million. If he were to sell it today, it could go for anywhere between 2-3 billion dollars, essentially doubling his net worth. Dude is 70+, you have to figure he wants to see a full return on his investment before he leaves this earth. But the funny thing about these sales is that the owner never truly goes away. They usually retain some small minority stake in the team, partly for the financial benefit and also because it gives them some semblance of being connected to the team in case they win something. Long story short, can't say it is a stupid decision.

1 hour ago, coors said:

I have a bad feeling that my Hawks are going to struggle to get to 20 wins this year. 

As long as Budenholzer is in town y'all will be competitive. I see no chance that you fall under 40 wins.

1 minute ago, Gmen4ev said:

As long as Budenholzer is in town y'all will be competitive. I see no chance that you fall under 40 wins.

At best, maybe I will meet you in the middle at 30. I do have a lot of trust in Bud but having a roster so bereft of talent is going to be hard even for him. 

When Schröder is your best player, you're in some trouble. I think this could be finally a year where we can get a high pick so we can bring in some more desperately needed talent. As long as we don't take Marvin Williams, Sheldon Williams, or Acie Law we should be fine. 

Just now, coors said:

At best, maybe I will meet you in the middle at 30. I do have a lot of trust in Bud but having a roster so bereft of talent is going to be hard even for him. 

When Schröder is your best player, you're in some trouble. I think this could be finally a year where we can get a high pick so we can bring in some more desperately needed talent. As long as we don't take Marvin Williams, Sheldon Williams, or Acie Law we should be fine. 

The East is growing, but for the most part is still horrid. The Hawks are a system team first that have never thrived on star talent. Granted the talent they do have is lackluster. But they play team ball better than almost everyone else and win games easily because of it. I'm not saying the team is going to drop 48-50 wins. But I could easily see them hitting 40-44/41-43 on the year. Especially if these "still growing" teams take time to adjust.

32 minutes ago, Gmen4ev said:

The East is growing, but for the most part is still horrid. The Hawks are a system team first that have never thrived on star talent. Granted the talent they do have is lackluster. But they play team ball better than almost everyone else and win games easily because of it. I'm not saying the team is going to drop 48-50 wins. But I could easily see them hitting 40-44/41-43 on the year. Especially if these "still growing" teams take time to adjust.

The Hawks are a team full of nothing but role players. I mean, it wouldn't shock me if John Collins was their best offensive player from the get go. I highly doubt they even come close to 40 wins. That's not a 40-42 team, at all. 

Archived