Week 15 GDT - Atlanta Falcons at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

5 hours ago, N4L said:

No, the missed extra point was huge imo 

If we were up 3, you could make a strong case to go for it on 4th and 1 rather than kick a FG. Since we were up 2, we had no choice but to kick the ball in that spot. 

If we went for it on 4th and got it, the game is over. If we didn't get it, then Atlanta might have kicked a FG at the end to force OT, or it might have turned out exactly the same way it did, but we would have had the added benefit of a fourth day play to win 

No, sorry I don't see that. When asked if he thought about going for it, he said yes, but saw it was closer to being 4th and 2 than 4th and 1. He wanted to see the Falcons go the entire field to win. That applies if it is a five point lead or six point lead. 

Back to back games we have had 9 point leads in the 4th quarter and have allowed teams to score two consecutive TDs. Embarrassingly bad. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Oh, this team was just craptastic from start to finish, from coaching all the way down to STs. We get a bit of slack and just give it away the very next week. It’s a cycle. 😩

We need to break that cycle and go 2-0 to grab the #1 seed and bye week. 

Kyle looked like he was calling plays to not lose. I'm about sick and tired of seeing Coleman out on the field. 

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Kyle looked like he was calling plays to not lose. I'm about sick and tired of seeing Coleman out on the field. 

Man, you guys are fickled bunch. Coleman had a huge run yesterday. No reason Coleman shouldn't still see snaps. Morstert got the most work, as he's the hot hand right now. Before that, it was Coleman who was doing work. Kyle called a good game. Give the Falcons credit, they came with a gameplan that we weren't ready for and we had to adjust.

I mean the other team is comprised of professionals too. Everybody thinks we are just supposed to steamroll over every opponent. Its the NFL...any given Sunday. **** happens. We're not immune to a bad outing or a bad effort.

Its human nature to not be as emotionally 'up' for every team, every week. Sometimes talent can overcome that. Ours almost did. But we couldn't overcome our lack of execution. Football is week to week...I've been saying this forever.

Too much bitching and moaning in here for my taste after a tough loss. This team has WELL exceeded most of our expectations this year. Sure, I was highly upset after the game. But I had to sit back and gain some perspective. We STILL can accomplish what most want, even with the loss yesterday. Its still all there for us to achieve. We're hurting right now and not excuting to the level we were accustomed to earlier in the year. Its part of the grind of a long season. We'll bounce back. And if we don't, we're still playoff bound, which is all I was really hoping for before the season. Can't really complain personally. 

• Like 1

So week 16 games that matter to us

-DET over DEN (we have the Broncos 5th round pick)

-TEN over NO

-ARI over SEA

-GB over MIN? We have the tiebreaker over GB. So if SF & GB are wildcard teams, we win the tiebreaker if same record. If SF & MIN are wildcard, idk who has the tiebreaker, so it would be better to have at least 1 more win than MIN.

-DAL vs PHI (if we're the 5 seed, we play one of these teams)

Really though, we win out and we're the #1 seed. LA, @ SEA. Will be tough, but doable. 

30 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Man, you guys are fickled bunch. Coleman had a huge run yesterday. No reason Coleman shouldn't still see snaps. Morstert got the most work, as he's the hot hand right now. Before that, it was Coleman who was doing work. Kyle called a good game. Give the Falcons credit, they came with a gameplan that we weren't ready for and we had to adjust.

I mean the other team is comprised of professionals too. Everybody thinks we are just supposed to steamroll over every opponent. Its the NFL...any given Sunday. **** happens. We're not immune to a bad outing or a bad effort.

Its human nature to not be as emotionally 'up' for every team, every week. Sometimes talent can overcome that. Ours almost did. But we couldn't overcome our lack of execution. Football is week to week...I've been saying this forever.

Too much bitching and moaning in here for my taste after a tough loss. This team has WELL exceeded most of our expectations this year. Sure, I was highly upset after the game. But I had to sit back and gain some perspective. We STILL can accomplish what most want, even with the loss yesterday. Its still all there for us to achieve. We're hurting right now and not excuting to the level we were accustomed to earlier in the year. Its part of the grind of a long season. We'll bounce back. And if we don't, we're still playoff bound, which is all I was really hoping for before the season. Can't really complain personally. 

You say doing work? Are you talking about just yesterday or the past month or so? Grant we needed that big run from him, outside of that he ran the ball 3 times for 3 yards. Yes, give credit to Atlanta but I've never been a big Coleman so maybe that's my reasoning(even when he was with Kyle in Atlanta). 

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

So week 16 games that matter to us

-DET over DEN (we have the Broncos 5th round pick)

-TEN over NO

-ARI over SEA

-GB over MIN? We have the tiebreaker over GB. So if SF & GB are wildcard teams, we win the tiebreaker if same record. If SF & MIN are wildcard, idk who has the tiebreaker, so it would be better to have at least 1 more win than MIN.

-DAL vs PHI (if we're the 5 seed, we play one of these teams)

Really though, we win out and we're the #1 seed. LA, @ SEA. Will be tough, but doable. 

AZ over SEA doesn't really even matter to be honest since week 17 is what the division comes down to regardless.

So our defense definitely was not clutch yesterday and allowed those two late scoring drives, but overall played fine. Ryan had a YPA of under 5.5 and while Jones got his, we did a solid job on everyone else. This is where not traveling our corners on certain WRs hurts us. It was clear Moseley was no match for Jones and we should have either bracketed him over or try Spoon on him. The DPI was weak on Ward and a bad call but they could have got Moseley for the hold call a possession or two earlier. Definitely missed Sherman there.

I do wonder now if Sherman pushes to play on Saturday and if the team lets him? Clearly their plan was for him to sit out until week 17, or preferably until the playoffs, but he was ready to play this week. 

We were all hard on Harris for his performance last week, but have to give it up to the youngster, he was much better yesterday and played a fairly sound game. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

AZ over SEA doesn't really even matter to be honest since week 17 is what the division comes down to regardless.

My reasoning was, lets say we're 12-3 and SEA is 11-4. If we tie week 17, we're 12-3-1 and they're 11-4-1, we win the division. If we're both 12-3 and tie, then we're both 12-3-1 and they win the tiebreaker. 

Normally a remote scenario, but we did almost tie last time...

Just now, 49ersfan said:

My reasoning was, lets say we're 12-3 and SEA is 11-4. If we tie week 17, we're 12-3-1 and they're 11-4-1, we win the division. If we're both 12-3 and tie, then we're both 12-3-1 and they win the tiebreaker. 

Normally a remote scenario, but we did almost tie last time...

Okay okay, fair enough! 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

GB over MIN? We have the tiebreaker over GB. So if SF & GB are wildcard teams, we win the tiebreaker if same record. If SF & MIN are wildcard, idk who has the tiebreaker, so it would be better to have at least 1 more win than MIN.

We have the tiebreaker over both of them. 

This one's a double-edged sword of sorts. If we lose to the Rams, we could still get the second seed if the Packers or Saints lose a game or the first seed if they both lose a game. We have to beat the Seahawks either way to win the West.

The problem is that the first tiebreaker over the Seahawks would be contingent on the record of opponents we defeated, and the Packers and Saints losing would be bad for that.

I'm still not really sure the type of coverage we were running on the final play and if Moseley should have gone with Jones across the middle or not. Seemed like on the opposite side we were definitely playing man coverage, but why did Moseley just pass Jones with really no one in sight? Like if Ward was responsible for Jones, he was far too deep and if you watch the play, he was originally helping on the opposite side taking away the slant route. Something wasn't right about that coverage. Moseley followed him across the formation and then Greenlaw took on Hooper, but Moseley just let Jones go? Huh? There was literally no help in the middle of the field. So did he think we were in some type of zone or was he trying to pass Jones over to someone else but didn't communicate properly? 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm still not really sure the type of coverage we were running on the final play and if Moseley should have gone with Jones across the middle or not. Seemed like on the opposite side we were definitely playing man coverage, but why did Moseley just pass Jones with really no one in sight? Like if Ward was responsible for Jones, he was far too deep and if you watch the play, he was originally helping on the opposite side taking away the slant route. Something wasn't right about that coverage. Moseley followed him across the formation and then Greenlaw took on Hooper, but Moseley just let Jones go? Huh? There was literally no help in the middle of the field. So did he think we were in some type of zone or was he trying to pass Jones over to someone else but didn't communicate properly? 

I was looking at that as well. I think Moseley blew his coverage assignment. It wasn't a great call either way. That whole last drive was soft on the Defensive play calling. 

6 minutes ago, xXFlyteXx said:

I was looking at that as well. I think Moseley blew his coverage assignment. It wasn't a great call either way. That whole last drive was soft on the Defensive play calling. 

Absolutely. I asked during the drive why we were giving such big cushions. Makes no sense

5 minutes ago, xXFlyteXx said:

Looks like he is communicating something with Harris before the play, but I can't imagine he played that correctly. Like he just stopped when Jones went across the middle and he let him free with no one to pick him up. Honestly, this is where not having Williams/Sherman/Tartt REALLY hurt us. Those are veteran players that don't blow these coverages. The communication just sucked on that play and if you recall the prior game, remember when Reed came into the game and then we left Ginn wide open for a 25 yard gain? Playing too many young players on the back end is BRUTAL when it comes to playing disciplined ball. 

• Like 1