Coach Of The Year Predictions

TXsteeler

After everything that has happened this year I expect that Tomlin has it in the bag if the Steelers make the playoffs, and perhaps could even win it if they just miss them. 

I will admit however that I haven't been able to keep up with much football outside of the Steelers this year and so I'm not sure who the other competitors are and if they have a better case than Tomlin.

Maybe Payton for keeping things going after Brees went down for nearly a third of the season?

Shanahan for turning the 49ers around so hard?

4 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think it's (the good) Harbaugh. He beat Shanahan head to head and his QB is the frontrunner for MVP.

But what Tomlin has pulled off deserves a ton of praise.

Yea Tomlin has done some amazing things with that team and terrible QB play. 

Only reason I saw Shanahan over Harbaugh is because Harbaugh had his team in the playoffs last year.  Shanahan, on the other hand, took a 4-12 team to be one of the best in the NFL.

• Like 2

Just now, sryan66611 said:

Only reason I saw Shanahan over Harbaugh is because Harbaugh had his team in the playoffs last year.  Shanahan, on the other hand, took a 4-12 team to be one of the best in the NFL.

Also, I might make a small argument that a lot of the Ravens success this year has come off the back of Lamar.

I'd say probably Shanahan, but deservedly Tomlin imo.

3 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

He had a good start but has like like 4 straight or something

I know, that is why I said he is on the outside and even winning the division likely isn't enough.

But when your franchise QB up and retires so close to the start of the season keeping things moving is pretty impressive

17 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

but how many coaches win with a RB playing QB tho? Heh

• Like 1

I’d vote for Shanahan, especially if he can keep the #1 seed in the next few weeks losing Sherman/Sanders. Not a slam dunk though, I think you can make good arguments for a sizable handful of coaches this season. 

Tomlin, Vrabel, Payton, Harbaugh, LaFleur (somehow), all have good arguments. Tomlin and Vrabel more so if they can make it to the playoffs. 

And while not in contention for the award IMO, I’ve been really impressed with McVay, Reich, and Kliff.

The way people talked about McVay is like he’s been figured out and has already peaked. He’s operating with zero run game and a bad OL, yet the team sits at 8-5 in the most competitive division. 

Losing Luck should’ve been a death sentence for the Colts, but they’ve shown some real fight despite Brissett showing some of his truer colors. The team has been built smart and Reich is getting a lot of players to overachieve. 

Kliff’s team has a bad record but given how little talent that team has...I don’t blame him, especially as a first time NFL HC. He’s gotten Kyler to look very good (not to say Murray isn’t talented on his own) and the Cardinals are right there in a lot of the games they play in. They say there are no moral victories in the NFL, and that’s true, but despite the poor record I think the Cardinals are looking up come 2020. Side note, Zombie David Johnson isn’t helping...

• Like 2

Kyle Shanahan and it’s not even close IMO. Don’t get me wrong, other coaches have done a marvelous job this year as well. But one of the main ingredients to the COTY award is improving from record and success the previous season. 

John Harbaugh certainly deserves a ton of praise as well and is my #2. 

Vrabel has done a great job as well but took wayyy too long to bench Mariota. 

• Like 1