Coach Of The Year Predictions

TXsteeler

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Steelers fans are upset because their only argument for Tomlin being COTY was that he's been winning with backups, and John Harbaugh ruined that one, too!

Stupid logic is stupid. First of all, every single 'backup' that played in a significant role for Baltimore has starter experience.

But more importantly I've been among people making an arguement for Tomlin however I actually think Kyle Shanahan is the right choice. He brought that team from a top 5 draftee to a 1st round bye in the playoffs. 

Secondly to address J A.D.s question. Harbaugh deserves a credit for this season to an extent. But with every opinion there should be some context and the context with Baltimore is that the thing that significantly changed was the OC. The entire offensive gameplan was designed, by Greg Roman, to lead to this success. It's a large part of why I'd be surprised if Roman didnt land a HC job.

In SF a lot of things changed, health of their QB for one. I genuinely look at what Shanahan did and feel it gets the edge. Having said that if Harbaugh wins it, congrats to him. More than likely he will. But Steeler fans are not jealous of Baltimore get out of here with that. 

Edited by wwhickok

13 hours ago, wwhickok said:

You're right I edited it.

I made that prediction prior to the Pat's game.

I didnt say Roman MADE the Ravens I said he is what changed with them. He is the added piece. Harbaufh didnt win 14 games. The Team did.

Well yeah. But we’re talking about COTY. At this point the race is really Kyle Shanahan vs John Harbaugh. And the same can be said for Shanahan, he didn’t win 13 games... his team did. He’s got probably the top up and coming coaching candidate on the defensive side of the ball coaching up that defense to tops of the league in their respective strength... his GM traded for Sanders at the deadline and that made a huge difference to that team similar to the Ravens trading for Marcus Peters.

So sure, neither coach won x amount of games as the TEAM did it. But that’s a blanket statement that applies to EVERY concept. It’s not as if this team was winning games in spite of Harbaugh.

You've also used Harbaugh’s past failings to look to disqualify his COTY take, whereas Shanahan had the 49ers picking within the top 5 picks last season because his franchise QB was hurt. Flacco has been hurt/playing hurt/indifferent (look at what Flacco was leading the Broncos towards this season and how much better they’ve looked after moving on) the past few seasons and yet Harbaugh still had the Ravens in playoff contention in almost every season, where the final play of the season meant playoffs or the couch.

So if you’re looking to falter Harbaugh due to his past transgressions and how he was “on the hotseat a year ago” than Shanahan would also not be apt for this award.

That said if we look at which unit is the better team, the Ravens have the highest strength of victory in the league and both teams finished with the 8th highest strength of schedule in their respective conferences. You look at the DVOA of both squads and the Ravens are definitely the better unit, in fact it’s one of the top DVOA seasons for a team in NFL history. You look at the fact that there was a head to head matchup that the Ravens won. You look at the fact that the Ravens offense set the single season rushing record that had stood for 41 years. You look at the fact that he’s accomplished this all with just a second year QB that many thought was a RB and couldn’t play. The catalyst for the offensive success came when Harbaugh stuck with Lamar in those playoffs and Lamar felt like his coach had his back when everyone else doubted him... THAT was the catalyst moment for creating an MVP. You also look at the success of the offense, defense, and special teams... each with a claim to being the best unit in football (keyword is claim, I did not say best in all phases). Then you look at the 3rd down success, the advanced use of analytics.

In what area can Shanahan be considered having done a SUPERIOR job to what Harbaugh has done? He’s called his teams plays, but has been inferior in game management scenarios to Harbaugh. He doesn’t have a component of his team that set an all time NFL record. He doesn’t have the better team record. He doesn’t have the superior DVOA. He doesn’t have the superior offense. The offense isn’t more efficient.

He didn’t turn around a team that he wasn’t coaching to these heights that they’re at, he turned a team that he coached into a better team the following season, only since his coaching job last year was non inspired, the 9ers improved 9 wins to Harbaugh’s 4 win differential.

Edited by diamondbull424
Spelling
  • Like 2

@diamondbull424 I'm not intending to use Harbaughs past failing to disqualify him nor should he be disqualified at all. My point is that the biggest change from 1 season to the next was the OC.

I'm also NOT saying Harbaugh didnt do a superb job but I also think Shanahan did. I expect JH to win it and it wont be undeserved. Where I think Shanahan has been more impactful is that he IS the guy calling the offensive plays and his team is still a strong playoff team with a first round bye. Now that's a singular item, I'd agree with that. It's going to be a heated to debate which guy is more deserving. But again in the end regardless of my opinion I expect JH to win the award.

And for the record, for those of you that attacked me saying I'm some sort of ticked off about the Ravens, take the time to go back through the years on my consistent thoughts of the Ravens and you'll find out that the Ravens are the team I have the most respect for in the division, just sayin. 

• Like 1