Coach Of The Year Predictions

TXsteeler

Kyle Shannahan absolutely should win. As long as his team doesn't just fall off a cliff to end the year, that is. 

What he's done is incredibly impressive. That 49ers offense wasn't exactly being mentioned amongst the most talented in the off-season.....Jimmy G is an above average QB, but he isn't elite at all. And they've had some bad injuries on offense as well, and Shannahan has done a great job in scheming that offense and getting guys open and backups to step in and look better than they are. 

I was saying this in a thread awhile back about HCs.. I think Shannahan is the best offensive mind in football, and he has shown he is more than just a brilliant playcaller as well this season. I mean the guy just about literally won that MVP award for Matt Ryan in 2016. So obvious that he was the main reason for the Falcons' historically great offense that year after seeing what kind of QB Matt Ryan has been every single season outside of that one 

• Like 2

I would cast my vote for Harbaugh, though I expect Shanahan will win.

Honestly no one (not even the most homer Ravens fans) expected the kind of success LaMar Jackson and the Ravens offense are having what so ever. Most people didn't consider them to be better than an 8-8 team, many had them at 3rd in their division behind Cleveland and Pittsburgh. The 49ers were a popular pick to breakout candidates (so much so that they weren't even really dark horses)

I'm more so gauging my vote off of common expectations coming into the season, rather than how they did last year.

Edited by Danger
  • Like 1

I agree that Shanahan is the favorite because he fits the traditional mold of what the sportswriters voting on this look at - how many more games you won this year compared to last - when voting on the award.

But I think it has to be noted that however impressive he has been (and he has been - that San Fran team is awesome) - the logic behind treating this as a big turnaround for him is kinda weird. He was the coach of that 4 win San Fran team last year, this isn't a Nagy or McVay situation where a new coach has built something new and better. So is the idea behind making him COY to congratulate him on going from an awful coach to a good one? If we give that 4-12 season the context it deserves - because it was the product of injuries, not a lack of talent or bad coaching - then why are we still treating Shanahan as having truly turned a 4 win team into a playoff contender? 

• Like 1

John Harbaugh.

This year we lost in the offseason:

• Terrell Suggs
  • Eric Weddle
  • Za'Darius Smith
  • CJ Mosley
  • Brent Urban
  • John Brown

And then in addition to those losses we also lost to injury:

• Matt Skura (starting Center)
  • Tavon Young (starting nickel CB)
  • Tony Jefferson (starting SS)
  • Pernell McPhee (starting ROLB)

And we're still the clear-cut #1 overall team in the NFL and Harbaugh is setting trends with the way he's using analytics and the way he (and Greg Roman) have designed this offense. Oh, and we have a top 5 defense, too after starting the season ranked something like 24th overall.

I won't be upset if Shanahan wins it because I think both he and Harbaugh are deserving, but Harbaugh's case is pretty air-tight.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I agree that Shanahan is the favorite because he fits the traditional mold of what the sportswriters voting on this look at - how many more games you won this year compared to last - when voting on the award.

But I think it has to be noted that however impressive he has been (and he has been - that San Fran team is awesome) - the logic behind treating this as a big turnaround for him is kinda weird. He was the coach of that 4 win San Fran team last year, this isn't a Nagy or McVay situation where a new coach has built something new and better. So is the idea behind making him COY to congratulate him on going from an awful coach to a good one? If we give that 4-12 season the context it deserves - because it was the product of injuries, not a lack of talent or bad coaching - then why are we still treating Shanahan as having truly turned a 4 win team into a playoff contender? 

EDIT: nevermind 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So is the idea behind making him COY to congratulate him on going from an awful coach to a good one?

He wasn't an awful coach last year. Most teams probably aren't going to win many games with their backup and third string quarterback starting 12 of 16 games

Edit - NVM, I see you addressed this later in post. My bad

1 minute ago, Forge said:

That's why he is in the discussion lol

I know. Just wanted to drive the point home that Shanahan is getting praise because he is having success now that he has a QB. Meanwhile, Tomlin is 3 games behind with his HoF franchise QB out, the backup nearly getting killed, trading the 3rd stringer coming out of camp and playing with the "4th stringer" to of the QBs from camp.

• Like 1

Harbaugh or Tomlin. Either you give it to the coach who is coaching the best team in the NFL. A team that was dead in the water at 4-5 last year when he went and stuck with Lamar in the playoffs (that has proven dividends this season) where he has built on last seasons success and turned it into a historic rushing attack. His offense and defense are top notch. And he has the H2H over the other COTY candidates. Harbaugh out-coached Shanahan in that SF-BAL game and that was the difference. Both had 4th and 1 decisions and one chose to run and the other chose to pass. I think that’s the difference.

I would then have Tomlin second and Shanahan third. I won’t give extra credit to Shanahan for turning that team around more than Harbaugh as both had to turn around their teams from what they looked like last season. But Tomlin has had turn around that team more considering losing AB and also losing a top 5 QB.

I’ll go with Lil Shanny

However as  a patriots fan but I’ve always disagreed with the notion that BB should be the COY every season. Like for example in the 2018 regular season which is what the award is about, BB didn’t do the best HC job, I would argue he wasn’t top 5.

• Like 1

Tough tough tough decision this year with Shanahan, Harbaugh, and Tomlin.

Tomlin deserves it if they make the playoffs.

Harbaugh having the best team in the league, using the analytics the way he does, and conforming his offense to Lamar just makes too much sense.

Shanahan finally was able to put it together with no injuries and the defensive pieces clicking. Wouldn't be mad if he got it.

Gut feel: Harbaugh.