Coach Of The Year Predictions

TXsteeler

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Kyle Shanahan and it’s not even close IMO. Don’t get me wrong, other coaches have done a marvelous job this year as well. But one of the main ingredients to the COTY award is improving from record and success the previous season. 

John Harbaugh certainly deserves a ton of praise as well and is my #2. 

Vrabel has done a great job as well but took wayyy too long to bench Mariota. 

I don't think this is valid here. With McVay/Nagy the last 2 years that was definitely a reason why they won. But they were first year coaches. The 49ers sucked on Shanahan's watch. I don't know how this year's coaching job would be any different if they were 8-8 last year. In theory it would then be more impressive because they wouldn't have Bosa.

I think I'd go Tomlin if Steelers make the playoffs. Otherwise it is Harbaugh or Shanahan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I don't think this is valid here. With McVay/Nagy the last 2 years that was definitely a reason why they won. But they were first year coaches. The 49ers sucked on Shanahan's watch. I don't know how this year's coaching job would be any different if they were 8-8 last year. In theory it would then be more impressive because they wouldn't have Bosa.

I think I'd go Tomlin if Steelers make the playoffs. Otherwise it is Harbaugh or Shanahan.

Most improved from previous record has always been the main ingredient. 

52 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think it's (the good) Harbaugh. He beat Shanahan head to head and his QB is the frontrunner for MVP.

But what Tomlin has pulled off deserves a ton of praise.

What is special about winning 1 game and having a very good QB?

If this were the case, Belichick would have won almost every year for the past 20 years.

53 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Yea Tomlin has done some amazing things with that team and terrible QB play. 

Only reason I saw Shanahan over Harbaugh is because Harbaugh had his team in the playoffs last year.  Shanahan, on the other hand, took a 4-12 team to be one of the best in the NFL.

I think our 2018 squad was a 7-9 caliber team that ended up losing its QB 3 weeks into the season + had terrible luck creating turnovers + lost a lot of close games (Chargers, Packers, Cardinals, Giants, & Bears games were all 5 point losses or less). But i appreciate your point nonetheless. The amount of injuries we've had this year is sometimes mindblowing, but the backups keep stepping up, thats on the coaching staff. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Most improved from previous record has always been the main ingredient. 

That isn't true. It is a factor in some circumstances. Like McVay and Nagy. They were first year coaches and turned around teams that had sucked for years. If you aren't a first year coach then sucking the previous year doesn't make the next year more impressive. And conversely having a good prior year doesn't take away from your current coaching job. The Eagles are almost certainly going to disappoint this year based on expectations. If next year they win 12 games does that mean Pederson did a great coaching job because he was bad the prior year? I don't follow this line of thinking.

In 2014 Arians won coach of the year going 11-5. In 2013 the Cardinals went 10-6.

Am I out of bounds in stating the how award is flawed? The only metric valued seems to be "team was mediocre or bad the year before, now many wins" without really factoring anything else in. Meanwhile, coaches with consistent, long term success (Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, even Bill B to a certain extent; did win recently) are never seriously considered regardless of what they endure during the year. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Am I out of bounds in stating the how award is flawed? The only metric valued seems to be "team was mediocre or bad the year before, now many wins" without really factoring anything else in. Meanwhile, coaches with consistent, long term success (Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, even Bill B to a certain extent; did win recently) are never seriously considered regardless of what they endure during the year. 

Yeah to me it's more about dealing with the most hardship and still succeeding at a high level.

Having your team come back from injuries on top of getting high draft picks and marginally improving shouldn't give a coach the award by default.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

This is the first year Garoppolo has stayed healthy, though. There are other personnel factors on both sides of the ball, but Kyle hasn’t had a starting caliber QB for a whole season until now.

26 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

This is the first year Garoppolo has stayed healthy, though. There are other personnel factors on both sides of the ball, but Kyle hasn’t had a starting caliber QB for a whole season until now.

I said I'd have Shanahan as my 2nd or 3rd choice. And I'd have him 1st or 2nd if Steelers miss. I just thought Pittsburgh was done and have been super impressed how he saved this season. 

My argument is had Garoppolo stayed healthy last year they are in my opinion a 6-8 win team. If they did that, it wouldn't change my feelings on Shanahan for this year. 

4 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

What is special about winning 1 game and having a very good QB?

If this were the case, Belichick would have won almost every year for the past 20 years.

Beating the other guy who's up for the same award should matter. Harbaugh outcoached and his team outplayed Shanahan.

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I kept telling people this all off-season about kyle. I said he was one of the best coaches in football but that's he's had bad luck with injuries

He is 4-20 with Brian hoyer, cj beathard, and Nick Mullens 

He is 16-3 with Garoppolo 

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Beating the other guy who's up for the same award should matter. Harbaugh outcoached and his team outplayed Shanahan.

I completely understand what you are saying but typically this award is given out to the coach of the team that went from worst to first. 

The Ravens were a playoff team last year and unfortunately for harbaugh that dings him on this one. However fair/unfair it is, it's the way this award is given out. 

Just like how MVP is usually a QB.