Coach Of The Year Predictions

TXsteeler

18 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Shanahan finally was able to put it together with no injuries and the defensive pieces clicking. Wouldn't be mad if he got it.

Oh man, I wish this was true lol 

We are down 6 defensive starters and counting right now. (Tartt, DJ Jones, Kwon Alexander, Kwon Williams, Dee Ford, Richard Sherman). Weve also had two backup edge rushers go on IR, two guys who were playing really well at the time. So outside of bosa we dont have a (healthy) true DE on our roster right now. 

We didn't have kittle for a few weeks (including the Seattle game). We lost both of our starting tackles at the same time that our fullback got hurt. We just lost our starting C for the year. We've had multiple running backs go down for weeks at a time as well. 

Every week it seems like we have a new guy go down. Can't go one week without something happening. 

The niners had a week 4 bye which was absolute horse**** and it's really showing right now. We need need need this first round bye to get healthy 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would it "have to be" Kyle Shanahan when the Ravens are a better team and have dealt with their own share of key injuries?

eh...you won the head to head matchup, and kudos for that, well deserved. But nobody should be coming out of that game saying anyone is definitively better than the other, just as I wouldn't say that the 49ers are definitively better than the Saints after the win last week. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

eh...you won the head to head matchup, and kudos for that, well deserved. But nobody should be coming out of that game saying anyone is definitively better than the other, just as I wouldn't say that the 49ers are definitively better than the Saints after the win last week. 

Fair enough - we won the head to head and are consistently ranked as the best team in the NFL.

We have our fair share of injuries to starters. We reinvented our roster and scheme going into this year. OUR offense, not Shanahan's, is ranked #1 in the NFL. So how in the world are all of these arguments somehow favoring Shanahan? lol

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Fair enough - we won the head to head and are consistently ranked as the best team in the NFL.

We have our fair share of injuries to starters. We reinvented our roster and scheme going into this year. OUR offense, not Shanahan's, is ranked #1 in the NFL. So how in the world are all of these arguments somehow favoring Shanahan? lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no problem if Shanny wins it. I have no problem if Harbaugh wins it. I have no problem if Tomlin wins it and I have no problem if Payton wins it, tbh. If it's not one of those 4, I'd have a major issue, I think, but so long as it is one of those 4, I won't say that they got the award right or wrong. I'd simply say that I can understand the selection. I can probably include McDermott in there as well, tbh. So maybe those 5 lol, but I'd favor the others, I think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Oh man, I wish this was true lol 

We are down 6 defensive starters and counting right now. (Tartt, DJ Jones, Kwon Alexander, Kwon Williams, Dee Ford, Richard Sherman). Weve also had two backup edge rushers go on IR, two guys who were playing really well at the time. So outside of bosa we dont have a (healthy) true DE on our roster right now. 

We didn't have kittle for a few weeks (including the Seattle game). We lost both of our starting tackles at the same time that our fullback got hurt. We just lost our starting C for the year. We've had multiple running backs go down for weeks at a time as well. 

Every week it seems like we have a new guy go down. Can't go one week without something happening. 

The niners had a week 4 bye which was absolute horse**** and it's really showing right now. We need need need this first round bye to get healthy 

Correction** He had a QB this season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no problem if Shanny wins it. I have no problem if Harbaugh wins it. I have no problem if Tomlin wins it and I have no problem if Payton wins it, tbh. If it's not one of those 4, I'd have a major issue, I think, but so long as it is one of those 4, I won't say that they got the award right or wrong. I'd simply say that I can understand the selection. I can probably include McDermott in there as well, tbh. So maybe those 5 lol, but I'd favor the others, I think. 

I'm still of the opinion (though the more I read these comments the less this is true) that I'd be okay with Shanny winning it, but I just don't see the arguments that favor him right now lol

"He's the best offensive mind in football!" --> Ravens have the #1 offense and are re-designing how an offense can look and are on pace to break NUMEROUS historical records.

"He's overcome injuries!" --> Ravens have as well, to several key starters as well.

Are there other things that we're ignoring here? Because you can't also tell me the 49ers' schedule has been harder than ours. We've played the best teams in the NFC and AFC and beat them all, most of them rather convincingly.

So I mean, where's the argument? The more I think about it, the more I think Tomlin should be #2 to Harbaugh given how bad the Steelers should be on paper, but somehow aren't.

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm still of the opinion (though the more I read these comments the less this is true) that I'd be okay with Shanny winning it, but I just don't see the arguments that favor him right now lol

It's honestly the same as Harbaugh's. Arguably the best team in the NFL, Pre-season expectations versus actual results on the field. Not always an ideal methodology for determining coach of the year, but it's one that absolutely matters. Even accounting for health, nobody thought the 49ers were going to do this, and probably few thought Baltimore would do this. You can pick and choose why Harbaugh would be the choice or you can do so for Shanny. I have no idea what the Ravens injury situation is. I can tell you that SF has missed significantly more games due to injuries than Baltimore has, though this doesn't apply any context to the players who are actually injured (meaning in graphs like this, a third string safety largely playing special teams put on IR looks the same if you're starting quarterback went down), though I'd have a really hard time believing that the Ravens have had to deal with the same significant injuries just going through some of the Ravens data on pro football reference. 

ELjRy4NXsAAmP1J?format=png&name=small

Now, you can certainly take what the Ravens have done statistically and emphasize that and that is 100% fine. I have no issues with that at all. Though what the 49ers have done on defense is also very impressive (New Orleans game not withstanding). 

26 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Because you can't also tell me the 49ers' schedule has been harder than ours. We've played the best teams in the NFC and AFC and beat them all, most of them rather convincingly.

It's about even actually. Accounting for the entirety of the schedule, including games yet to be played, Baltimore's opponent winning percentage is .512, while the 49ers is .514. The big difference there is that you guys have largely gone through your gauntlet and 2 of your remaining three are against the Browns / Jets (with the Steelers the final team), while the 49ers have to play the Rams / Seahawks, so using that opponent winning percentage in that manner benefits the 49ers right now. Those winning percentages will also obviously change every week, but largely, pretty similar. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's honestly the same as Harbaugh's. Arguably the best team in the NFL, Pre-season expectations versus actual results on the field.

I apologize in advance for not reading the rest, but I had to stop here. Someone else made this post earlier, but the 49ers were predicted to be one of the best teams in the NFL this year, and were pretty good Superbowl odds. The Ravens were....not...like, at all.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I apologize in advance for not reading the rest, but I had to stop here. Someone else made this post earlier, but the 49ers were predicted to be one of the best teams in the NFL this year, and were pretty good Superbowl odds. The Ravens were....not...like, at all.

Vegas is not the same as media expectations...Vegas odds are influenced by external factors that have nothing to do with football (namely, betting patterns of individuals, amount bet, etc). So it's faulty to use Vegas odds as a line of thought regarding expectations. Vegas also doesn't vote on this award. 

• Like 2