GDT Week 15: Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs: Drewcember is here!

iLikeDefense

9 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Did I just read that Lock threw 40 times in bad weather?  This tells me our run game is in shambles.  

Or maybe we were down early. 

I would have liked to see more of a commitment but the OL was absolute garbage today, Risner included, that was as bad of OL play as I’ve seen since the last time we played KC. Spagnuolo has figured out how to get after us there, the (supposedly great) Mike Munchalk needs to get that figured out.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Lol his "lucky game." If you want to be skeptical of Lock, that's cool, but no one is going to take this stance seriously.

He'll never eat crow, he'll always move the goalposts, it's never going to be a productive conversation for anyone. Just ignore the Lock stuff with him. No point. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Having trouble figuring out what I’m supposed to be overreacting to based on today’s game, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction  We know where upgrades are needed. One thing that stood out was how awful of a job the receivers did handling the elements. 

We saw them make an effort to get Sutton the ball 2nd half, which is a half too long.  Sutton didn’t get a target until 4 minutes left in the 1st half.  With how abysmal the offense had been, you figure out a way to get the ball in his hands, like the screen in the 2nd half.  He’s too good a player to not be utilized for almost an entire half.

Edited by germ-x

Just now, germ-x said:

We saw them make an effort to get Sutton the ball 2nd half, which is a half too long.  Sutton didn’t get a target until 4 minutes left in round 1.  With how abysmal the offense had been, you figure out a way to get the ball in his hands, like the screen in the 2nd half.  He’s too good a player to not be utilized for almost an entire half.

They kept trying to set up the deep shot (I assume to Courtland) in the first half but the free rusher seemed to ruin it every time. In hindsight, a couple easy targets early would have been good. I don't know, if that's the big takeaway today just feels like very little was learned or gained. 

A few thoughts:

1.   We're just not that talented.   It's that simple.   

2.  Our OL has 1 guy we have as a foundation piece - Risner.   Leary is aging, injured, and only going to decline.   Bolles is a sunk cost, but not a guy we should pin any future hopes on.  By all means he'll be on our roster - but we really need to plan for a T and IOL at a minimum from Day 1-2.   Because we could very well still need to find 1-2 more starters from FA.   James has the skills and talent, but I'd almost hope an offseason scope reveals a missed injury.   The alternative is just disheartening.  But either way, James is expensive for 2020-21, so we need to plan for life without either T by 2021.    This is a class to hit T and IOL hard in Day 1-2 (plus WR).   

3.  WR-wise, I have nothing against Hamilton & Patrick - but they're JAG's.   That's the issue.  They should be 5th-6th WR's on good squads.   Right now, they're our 2nd/3rd.  A Rd2 pick, and a mid-level FA signing, would do wonders for us.

4.  As for Lock, once he lost Fant, it was super-easy to defend the pass game, and game script of being down 12-0 and then 15-3, made it super easy for KC to defend us.   Lock was bad today.   But TBH - that's exactly what we'd expect from a rookie.      Remember, I'm still a guy who had serious concerns if Lock's weaknesses could be fixed to make him successful long-term (footwork, happy feet with pressure, read progression, and keeping eyes up with pressure).    But, to be perfectly clear - nothing today changes the fact Lock's actually further along for his weaknesses and preseason progress would have suggested.    He had a bad day.  TBH, this what I expected to see @HOU and @KC - @HOU was a pleasant surprise.   Matt Waldman's analysis showed that HOU didn't take advantage of his weaknesses - but today, KC did.  It happens.

The bad news is that the mantra of us not being nearly as good as our best game held true today.  The reverse still applies, though - Lock's not as bad as he played today, just like he wasn't the anointed confirmed savior last week after an impressive performance.    The same holds true for our team.   The reality is that our team has overperformed our actual talent level.  And to be clear, that's a feather in the coaching staff's direction.   We have no business beating good teams with the talent we have, but we have, and we've come very close other weeks.  Again, credit preparation and the results of our coaches getting the team to buy in, and play hard until results have backed it up. 

But until we get more young talent in our key weak areas (because we need young talent to sustain the progress made so far), it's a mirage to believe we're going to catch KC, or the AFC contenders.  But we're still on the right track.  Today just showed it's a lot further away than last week's heady play suggested.  Nothing wrong with that, we're still miles ahead of where we were last year, just more work needs to be done on both ends of the ball.

Edited by Broncofan

29 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/drew-lock-denver-broncos-franchise-qb

Great piece on him. I agree with it fully. 

You're like the energizer bunny man, you just keep goin and goin...........

So, I've already used "boring, predictable, trite and irrelevant" as adjectives to your posts. I need to add repetitive. You do realize that's the third time you've posted that article don't you?

• Like 1