GDT Week 15: Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs: Drewcember is here!

iLikeDefense

Agree with others, OL needs to be a priority again this offseason.  Last year Elway spent FA dollars on James (though that doesn’t currently look like it’s going to pan out) and a top 50 pick on Risner.  I hope to see something similar this offseason.  Go out and spend some money on a starting interior OL, use a top 15 pick on one of these OTs.  

Many now believe there are 3 top 15 talents at OT with Jedrick Wills (Alabama’s RT) moving up boards throughout the season.  Some believe he’s the best OT in the class.  He’s only played RT, but that doesn’t bother me, James has experience at LT and would be an upgrade over Bolles.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 2

My hope would be that James gets traded at some point in the offseason or during the 2020 season. Realistically, I highly doubt it happens. He’s shown he’s injured every other year and has grit of a possum. We’d Definitely have to attach a pick or valuable player (on a small contract) to make it happen. He certainly isn’t fitting the culture Vic wants.

Edited by iLikeDefense
  • Like 4

Just watched the game. I agree with what’s been said. Over all the game when roughly how I expected (I had the under and the chiefs to cover once I saw the forecast. Figured it’d be a 20-9 type game).

overall this is a game that doesn’t move the needle much for the fans. WTF do we take away from it?

Lock showed promise despite his struggles. Interested to see how he bounces back and adjusts (Simone and Brock never adjusted after their first punch in the mouth)

snow games highlight the importance of the lines and we all know our OL is ****e and our DL is riddled with injury. 

on to Detroit

• Like 2

I view yesterday as basically a nothing-burger, and UK pretty much summed it up for me. Hard to see what could even be gleaned from that game. Not an excuse, just the reality of the situation.

Highlights the need for competent OL play though. And another playmaker. I think we hit an obvious homerun with Risner, and frankly, I have no issue with Juwuan James- but it's unfortunate his injury is causing him to be a different player. Hopefully he's able to return.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Having trouble figuring out what I’m supposed to be overreacting to based on today’s game, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction  We know where upgrades are needed. One thing that stood out was how awful of a job the receivers did handling the elements. 

Haven't read through the whole thread but I was shocked at the reaction on twitter. What did people think was going to happen ....? 

49 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Haven't read through the whole thread but I was shocked at the reaction on twitter. What did people think was going to happen ....? 

It's silly. From the players to the media to the fans. Coming off two nice wins too. Good opportunity to close the year with two wins. Everyone needs to lighten up. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It's silly. From the players to the media to the fans. Coming off two nice wins too. Good opportunity to close the year with two wins. Everyone needs to lighten up. 

I don’t mind the players’ reactions.  Shows they care. 

The casual fanbase reaction is as expected.  The media is pretty disappointing.  The only guy who was balanced immediately was Renck.  

I see people throwing around the Cutler comparison for Lock as a negative and....fair....BUT I am a Jay Cutler truther. 

I think Cutler had leadership/personality issues when it comes to being a franchise QB..at least in the traditional sense..but he got screwed from a career development standpoint IMO. The Bears traded for him and thought he was a finished product, which, he was not. I believe he was coming off his 3rd season as a 25 year old and showed massive talent, but still had a ways to go as a decision maker. He had a lot of kinks to work out in his game that I don't feel he ever got the chance to in Chicago. They gave him a different OC every year and he never developed. Maybe he never does fix those issues in the right environment, but I think he got a raw deal in Chicago. 

Anyways...people are going to throw out the Jay comparison with Drew as a negative and I don't really see it. I think Drew has a more engaging personality as well as some of the cockiness Jay had. The big arm comparison and gunslinging I don't really view as a bad thing. We'll see

59 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Rather take Austin Jackson out of USC to play LT

You've got to fill me in on the details here. Why are you and others still thinking Bolles sucks. 

Personally I would've shipped him off after the 1st KC game. Right now I'd be glad I didn't.

I've watched about 30% of his snaps now in the last three games. Wow! Only 1 penalty, an absolute joke, that should have been a non-call against Houston. A five yarder that didn't hurt anyway as we scored two plays later. Not 1 sack given up. I haven't even seen a pressure from that side. Strong run blocking and I've seen him stonewall Bosa, Ingrahm, Frank Clark and anyone else the Chiefs threw at him yesterday. He dominated against Houston.

Right now he's playing at a very high level. Just about as good as you can play the position , so one more time, why are you and so many others wanting to replace him when it seems he finally gets it?

Keep in mind, three games, no sacks, 1 5yd penalty (bogus) and I'm pretty sure no pressures.

Draft an OT by all means, our right side is awful. Just don't expect him to start on the left side. If a draftee can play LT on this level all the better. With the defenses in todays NFL you really need two guys that can play that side anyway. 

James, IMO, is a bust as a starter. We're stuck with him though. He'd be a great swing tackle if someone goes down. 

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

You've got to fill me in on the details here. Why are you and others still thinking Bolles sucks. 

Personally I would've shipped him off after the 1st KC game. Right now I'd be glad I didn't.

I've watched about 30% of his snaps now in the last three games. Wow! Only 1 penalty, an absolute joke, that should have been a non-call against Houston. A five yarder that didn't hurt anyway as we scored two plays later. Not 1 sack given up. I haven't even seen a pressure from that side. Strong run blocking and I've seen him stonewall Bosa, Ingrahm, Frank Clark and anyone else the Chiefs threw at him yesterday. He dominated against Houston.

Right now he's playing at a very high level. Just about as good as you can play the position , so one more time, why are you and so many others wanting to replace him when it seems he finally gets it?

Keep in mind, three games, no sacks, 1 5yd penalty (bogus) and I'm pretty sure no pressures.

Draft an OT by all means, our right side is awful. Just don't expect him to start on the left side. If a draftee can play LT on this level all the better. With the defenses in todays NFL you really need two guys that can play that side anyway. 

James, IMO, is a bust as a starter. We're stuck with him though. He'd be a great swing tackle if someone goes down. 

IMO, Bolles hasn't gotten much better, it's just that a mobile QB is hiding Bolles deficiencies. I've seen too many holding calls to believe this has stopped, he's been beaten too many times over the past 3 years to think he's gotten it. Now has he improved under Munchek, probably. However, overall this Oline needs to improvement and add quality depth, which Bolles can be.Lock was on his back way too much yesterday and part of that as Bolles

Bolles got absolutely smoked by Frank Clark on one play where Lock somehow got rid of the ball, but overall this has been the best stretch of his career. If he closes with two more strong performances, he may have just bought himself Year 4 and possibly even that lucrative option year. 

But nobody will trust him until they see it next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Bolles got absolutely smoked by Frank Clark on one play where Lock somehow got rid of the ball, but overall this has been the best stretch of his career. If he closes with two more strong performances, he may have just bought himself Year 4 and possibly even that lucrative option year. 

But nobody will trust him until they see it next year. 

I can't really disagree. He's dug himself quite a hole. That said, It doesn't seem like we're watching the same player. 

Probably a few factors, Munchak's coaching, a system that benefits his strengths and a solid RG have contributed but right now the staff has to be quite pleased. That left side could be something to build on. 

Frank Clark gets paid to play too, but I watched Bolles manhandle him more than a few times. What a boon it would be if this isn't a flash in the pan.

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I can't really disagree. He's dug himself quite a hole. That said, It doesn't seem like we're watching the same player. 

Probably a few factors, Munchak's coaching, a system that benefits his strengths and a solid RG have contributed but right now the staff has to be quite pleased. That left side could be something to build on. 

Frank Clark gets paid to play too, but I watched Bolles manhandle him more than a few times. What a boon it would be if this isn't a flash in the pan.

As previously mentioned, I think Lock's mobility is masking some of Bolles deficiencies in a way that Flacco couldn't. I won't overreact to a few improved games, as Bolles has done this through his career- highs, followed by lows. With Denver picking likely Top 12, I think all options should be on the table to upgrade if possible. Bolles is a league average player at the moment, IMO.

• Like 2