Marcus Davenport done for year

Forge

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

The Saints made a massive/bold move giving up 2 firsts+ to go get him. Outside this injury had he looked like the type of player to justify that move?

I hate the "gave up 2 firsts" phrase. The Saints did give up a first to trade to a new position in the first round. So, they gave up 1, and used the one they were going to use anyway.

Anyway, to the point. He has been very disruptive in the pass and rush, and is really smart, so he doesn't get baffled by tricks very often.
That said, I would be surprised if they would give up the same stock if they had the 20/20 hind sight.

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

The Saints made a massive/bold move giving up 2 firsts+ to go get him. Outside this injury had he looked like the type of player to justify that move?

No.  He's good, but for that kind of move, he needs to be better than good.

He might get there one day, but we're in win now mode.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Saints defensive line may be down two players for the rest of the season. Defensive end Marcus Davenport is set to miss the rest of the year after hurting his foot last Sunday and defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins may be set for the same fate.

Rankins hurt his ankle in the loss to the 49ers and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that it is a “significant” injury. He adds that it doesn’t look like Rankins will be able to make it back on the field this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/report-sheldon-rankins-has-significant-ankle-injury/

Every injury sucks, but dline is our deepest unit.

52 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

thats is trying to repaint history. they didnt give up 2 firsts, they gave up 1.

He did literally cost the Saints 2 of their firsts. I don't understand the issue with my phrasing there. Trading a future 1st and then selecting him shows a massive belief in him on the part of the Saints. 

17 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

He did literally cost the Saints 2 of their firsts. I don't understand the issue with my phrasing there. Trading a future 1st and then selecting him shows a massive belief in him on the part of the Saints. 

no HE did not. they traded two firsts for one in return

net result was minus one first. thats the problem with your phrasing.

Davenport gets a lot of pressure and is strong against the run, he is violent when he makes contact with the ball carrier and has developed both his pass rush moves in each of his first two year. His progression has been and still is trending upwards. We knew he was going to be a project, and this is what you hope for with a project, noticeable improvement. 

He doesn't have to become a star, I don't care what people say about spending two 1st round picks. The old adage is that half of 1st round picks bust out of the league anyways (don't have stats, but you hear scouting types say this), so if you spend two firsts to get a quality starter what's the difference? 

He'll likely be the Saints long term DE, if he's our starter 5, 6 years down the line nobody is going to question spending two firsts on him. 

He just needs to stay healthy.