Week 15: A Practice Squad Fights for the Playoffs

EaglesPeteC

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Both Brown’s & Samuel we would have had to give up Dillard or trade up for.

Hardman we would have had to not take Miles or trade up for.

One that’s the biggest misses is taking Clayton Thorson over Slayton...picking anyone else would’ve been better though.

But yeah it’s tough with Terry and DK doing as well with him being suck on non-factor.

Its a bad look.

But hey, maybe he gets better. He’s still a rookie. Maybe we find a good WR coach next year that will help tighten up his game.

I think his biggest issue is lack of body discipline and how clean he runs routes....which leads Wentz to not trusting him. So it become a self-inflicted lack of opportunity.

I think JJAW's biggest issue is the same one he had in college....he can't separate. He's J Matt 2.0.

Their college tapes have the same things in common- there's always a DB within 1 yard of them on every catch, but they usually make the contested catch. Now they can't even catch.

They both practice really hard, and are good teammates, but ultimately can't get open, despite being considered ahead of the curve as route runners heading into the draft. 

We need to realize the only time we ever hit on WR's is when they are fast, and that speed shows up in NCAA via them constantly burning db's for chunk gains, rather than our recent trend of drafting 6'2"/6'3" guys that only get chunk gains when they catch a jump ball. Terry McLaurin and Steve Slayton didn't need to catch one jump ball against us. They just get wide open instead.

JJAW is not going to get better. He doesn't have the game speed to succeed in the NFL. His production might increase if we just feed him a bunch of crossing routes ala JMATT, but that doesn't mean he got better, that just means we played into his lone strength enough times for him to pad his stats.

Edited by Jeezla

37 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I think JJAW's biggest issue is the same one he had in college....he can't separate. He's J Matt 2.0.

Their college tapes have the same things in common- there's always a DB within 1 yard of them on every catch, but they usually make the contested catch. Now they can't even catch.

They both practice really hard, and are good teammates, but ultimately can't get open, despite being considered ahead of the curve as route runners heading into the draft. 

We need to realize the only time we ever hit on WR's is when they are fast, and that speed shows up in NCAA via them constantly burning db's for chunk gains, rather than our recent trend of drafting 6'2"/6'3" guys that only get chunk gains when they catch a jump ball. Terry McLaurin and Steve Slayton didn't need to catch one jump ball against us. They just get wide open instead.

JJAW is not going to get better. He doesn't have the game speed to succeed in the NFL. His production might increase if we just feed him a bunch of crossing routes ala JMATT, but that doesn't mean he got better, that just means we played into his lone strength enough times for him to pad his stats.

There are fixable issues in his game right now, he can definitely get better (he’s down close to the floor so it’s not that hard). He can still reach his ceiling of a solid possession receiver. In the form of Alshon but unlike Alshon be fine being treated at the #3 passing option like he should.

I agree on the rest...it’s just terrible look at trends, What your team lacks, and everything else to add more of those players. I could see the promise in his game coming out. But his ceiling was just not there. 

Wideouts take some time to cook often, that’s all I’m saying. A bad or good year one doesn’t always translate. Think he can be better, not necessarily good or great. That’s all I said.

But yeah if we continue this dumb building of the roster with pedestrian athletes at wideout we will dwindle Carson’s career away.

8 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

There are fixable issues in his game right now, he can definitely get better (he’s down close to the floor so it’s not that hard). He can still reach his ceiling of a solid possession receiver. In the form of Alshon but unlike Alshon be fine being treated at the #3 passing option like he should.

I agree on the rest...it’s just terrible look at trends, What your team lacks, and everything else to add more of those players. I could see the promise in his game coming out. But his ceiling was just not there. 

Wideouts take some time to cook often, that’s all I’m saying. A bad or good year one doesn’t always translate. 

But yeah if we continue this dumb building of the roster with pedestrian athletes at wideout we will dwindle Carson’s career away.

So his ceiling is Jason Avant. Sweet.

We're already dwindling Carson's career. He's an older 4th year player. He''ll turn 27 in 13 days. We need to hit on 2 WR's before he turns 30, and at least 1 before he turns 28. Sign AJ Green and Robby Anderson, draft 2 more 4.3 guys even though Robby Anderson is a 4.3 guy and that would give us 3. Give me all the 4.3 guys!

Edited by Jeezla

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

So his ceiling is Jason Avant. Sweet.

I slightly more athletic and bendable Alshon maybe...idk. Nothing really changed since he got drafted besides him seeming more soft than I thought. He doesn’t have the route running, catch radius or anything else impressive enough to compare to other guys with his frame.

If he could reach Alshon level without the extensive injuries I could begin to see the value for the FO. Especially one that is looking to spend on CBs and other pieces. Letting Alshon walk next year was the plan. How bad JJ has been for them shows when they reworked Alshon’s deal.

In a well rounded offense maybe that’s worth something...but it was a big miss in hindsight with Terry and DK. And even with some of the guys who haven’t done much like Campbell too. At least he has the profile to become dynamic potentially. 

Drafting Ruggs III and signing Robby Anderson would be sweet. Ruggs III - Anderson - DJax - Ward - Alshon - JJ. I do believe that with the significant Alshon and DeSean injury concerns and uncertainty, that expending significant free agent resources (money), as well as a significant draft resource (1st or 2nd round pick), is absolutely necessary. Ditto for CB. WR and CB each need to be dealt with via a high priced free agent as well as a 1st or 2nd round pick. We need 2 new quality receivers and corners. There's no way around that.