Stefon Diggs will become a top 10 receiver!!!

Illadelegend215

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I like Diggs alot, but it feels like Vikings fans have put him on a pedestal he has never earned the right to be on since he was drafted.    I seem to recall a long thread about him on the old forum during his rookie year that severely overrated him.

Could he be a top 10 WR?   Absolutely....so could about 30+ other WRs in this league, though.    

So gifted its not funny?   Umm...no.   He has the tools be a top 10 WR, for sure.   Youre seriously overrated his supposed gifts though.  He isnt Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones.  Guys like that are "so gifted its not funny".   Diggs isnt anywhere remotely close to that.

Skill wise, looks like Antonio Brown?   I mean....in reality, there are probably quite a few WRs in the league with skills in the realm as Antonio, but its the little things that separate Antonio from just the merely good WRs in this league.    So while Diggs perhaps could be one of them, that doesnt mean he will come anywhere close to Brown (and probably wont), so thats kind of a misleading comparison.     Not a dig on Diggs, but few reach Antonio's level, even the ones that MIGHT have the potential.

Bottom line, I expect Diggs to be good....perhaps even top 10.    Hell, he is very likely already top 20-25....but lets slow down a bit.    Right now, he reminds me more of Santonio Holmes than Antonio Brown.....and at his best, Santonio was a top 10 WR....but he was no Antonio Brown.   

As far as football iq and placement, he's always at his spots. He knows where the first down marker is and makes the adjustments necessary to get there. When a ball touches his hands, he rarely drops them. Those monster hits from earl Thomas in the preseason and that illegal headshot he took last night is proof of that. He also makes amazing adjustments on contact in order to secure the ball for catches, that is a skillset that takes receivers to the next level in my opinion. Any wr can catch a ball, but not many can catch contested ones consistently.

He has top 5 route running ability, and when I say that I mean he is in the same playing field as Antonio brown in that category. His studder steps, in and out fakes, head fakes, he can do it all to sell a route and branch off. He doesn't require a lot of space to do so either, and can be utilized just as deadly in the slot as well as on the outside. Lets be real, how many receivers can you honestly say run a route better than Stefon Diggs can? I'll give you Antonio brown for general principal being as he is recognized as the best all around, maybe even Julio, but after those two who else?

He has very good speed and shiftiness. We all see how he gets his YAC, which is why he turns 5 yard slants into 15-20 yard gains. What separates him from the 30+ receivers you mentioned could also be "top 10" is that he can do this consistently. Yeah I'm a Vikings fan and really high on this kid, but I have a reason. Your response on him being gifted and your examples were for physical specimens. CJ, Moss, Jones are physical freaks, I never said he was that my friend. But iq, hands, route running, not a lot of receivers have that in their arsenal.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

You would probably get a better discussion going if you listed the aspects or skills you thought he possessed which could potentially make him a top 10 receiver in the near future. I like Diggs as a receiver but there are a lot of very good receivers out there right now. I haven't really seen enough to make a fully informed decision, but from the limited amount I've seen he looks a good receiver with bags of potential. What takes him to the next level?

I guess I should have done that, check my post on page 2 for my analysis on what I believe takes him there. Feel free to agree or disagree as I value non troll opinions.

3 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I have him in fantasy lol. I didn't start him because he played the Steelers and that was a mistake lol. Corey Coleman is pretty good too. I like Diggs over him though ??

I have Corey. It's hard to ever start him just because of the Browns QB situation, but if Kizer can grow then Coleman will get so much better. I'm taking Corey over Stefan long term. I think he has some Antonio Brown potential. Not that he'll ever be AB, but a type of receiver who can take short routes and make them 20+ yard gains on the regular along with being a deep threat. He's far more athletic than Brown though (not saying that makes him better or will make him better). Corey is one of the freakiest guys in the league.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

All these "next Antonio Brown" and "Antonio Brown potential"... I'll believe it when I see it. 

Ever learn to pump the breaks? It's literally week 1 against the Saints worst corner. Now when Diggs goes off for 150 yards against Patrick Peterson, bump this thread.

I don't think anyone will ever go off for 150 against Peterson, but I'll keep that in mind. And I've been saying stefon was special since last season, I'm just reminding everyone hat I called it. 

Actually, I like Diggs a lot too. And I personally do not mind the attempt to compare his game to a 'star' WR in order to try to explain what traits it is you see in him, but personally, I'd peg him more as Torry Holt-type. Plus, Diggs has at least a tenth of a second in the 40, and a couple of inches on Brown, anyway, so he's likely more of a Laveraneus Coles/Dante Stallworth/Torry Holt type of deep threat, IMO.

And for those who feel it's too early to start making these types of assertions/comparisons, I would say, then when are you supposed to...after he's already established? If it wasn't for Brown's 2011 and his 1000 yds Receiving and 1000 yds Return yds, he wouldn't have really accomplished anything until his 4th season in the league.

I get the point; there are a lot of talented WRs, and any one of them could break out, but one thing sticks out about Diggs; his catch rate of 70.1% since being in the league. I did a search, with Diggs stats being the floor (1700 yds/27 games), and he's ranked 16th (8th against WRs only) since they started keeping the stat in 1992.

1 hour ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I don't think anyone will ever go off for 150 against Peterson, but I'll keep that in mind. And I've been saying stefon was special since last season, I'm just reminding everyone hat I called it. 

Well, after Week 1, Stefon Diggs is in the Top 10 of receiving stats- tied for 8th.  It will be interesting to follow his progress this year.

1 Antonio Brown, WR PIT 11 11 182 16.5 0 50 2 182.0 1 0 8
2 Adam Thielen, WR MIN 9 10 157 17.4 0 44 4 157.0 0 0 4
3 Tyreek Hill, WR KC 7 8 133 19.0 1 75 1 133.0 0 0 5
4 Austin Hooper, TE ATL 2 2 128 64.0 1 88 2 128.0 0 0 2
5 Golden Tate, WR DET 10 12 107 10.7 0 19 0 107.0 0 0 5
6 Danny Amendola, WR NE 6 7 100 16.7 0 27 3 100.0 1 0 4
7 Kareem Hunt, RB KC 5 5 98 19.6 2 78 1 98.0 0 0 3
8 Zach Ertz, TE PHI 8 8 93 11.6 0 23 1 93.0 0 0 6
  Stefon Diggs, WR MIN 7 8 93 13.3 2 30 2 93.0 0 0 6

29 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Actually, I like Diggs a lot too. And I personally do not mind the attempt to compare his game to a 'star' WR in order to try to explain what traits it is you see in him, but personally, I'd peg him more as Torry Holt-type. Plus, Diggs has at least a tenth of a second in the 40, and a couple of inches on Brown, anyway, so he's likely more of a Laveraneus Coles/Dante Stallworth/Torry Holt type of deep threat, IMO.

And for those who feel it's too early to start making these types of assertions/comparisons, I would say, then when are you supposed to...after he's already established? If it wasn't for Brown's 2011 and his 1000 yds Receiving and 1000 yds Return yds, he wouldn't have really accomplished anything until his 4th season in the league.

I get the point; there are a lot of talented WRs, and any one of them could break out, but one thing sticks out about Diggs; his catch rate of 70.1% since being in the league. I did a search, with Diggs stats being the floor (1700 yds/27 games), and he's ranked 16th (8th against WRs only) since they started keeping the stat in 1992.

I agree with almost all of this post. Some really good point made. The one thing that I can say for certain seeing Stallworth play over the years, and now going into year 3 with Diggs. Diggs has shown much better route running, hands, and body control than Stallworth ever had. This is coming from someone that ecstatic when the Saints picked him in the 1st round back in 2002. Granted I know this is small part of your post, and actually do see a lot Holt in Diggs game. Probably won't ever become that level of WR, but there are some similarities in the size/play style. 

I think Diggs will certainly have some top 10 caliber years throughout his career. 

2 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Ok define "special". Nothing he showed me last year would lead me to call him "special".

Talented? Sure. Special? Get outta here.

Being quick and able to run after the catch doesn't make you "special".

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What is it with overreactions after one game?! 

Actually,  the O.P., illadelegend215, first brought Stefon Diggs to everyone's attention in his rookie year, touting him as a future star. And again last year, when he improved. He's been on Stefon's bandwagon, pretty much by himself, since 2015, and for all I know may turn out to be right. If his stats improve as much this year as they did from Year 1 to Year 2, who knows? 

Games Receiving Rushing        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       27 21 204 143 1716 12.0 9 46 5.3 63.6   7 17 0 12 2.4 0.6 0.3 1733 9 2 15
2015 22 MIN WR 14 13 9 84 52 720 13.8 4 40 4.0 55.4 61.9% 3 13 0 10 4.3 1.0 0.2 733 4 2 8
2016 23 MIN WR 14 13 11 112 84 903 10.8 3 46 6.5 69.5 75.0% 3 10 0 12 3.3 0.8 0.2 913 3 0 7
2017 24 MIN wr 14 1 1 8 7 93 13.3 2 30 7.0 93.0 87.5% 1 -6 0 -6 -6.0 -6.0 1.0 87 2 0  

Archived