How much do you worry about MM?

pollino14

2 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I'm far more concerned with Aaron Rodgers clock management than McCarthy's clock management.  How many times have we seen him call a timeout or take a delay of game because they couldn't get the play off in time.  

I wonder if it is just Rodgers' clock management?  I suspect both are culpable.

11 hours ago, squire12 said:

You mean like what happened against GB at the end of the 1st half vs Seattle?   GB knew the run was coming, Seattle was trying to run the clock out for the half, got the first down and now we have a thread about time management.

Green Bay was not playing for the run. That was big play prevention defense all day long.

The Packers have a stats guy, used to be Mike Eayrs - who was one of the best in the game. Now they have both a stats guy and an entire department dedicated to these efforts. That's who is running the clock scenarios and feeding information to MM, Edgar Bennett and AR during the course of the game. What they are also doing is collecting info on how the opponent handles end-of-game scenarios; that gives them valuable information both for this game and in case these teams meet again in the playoffs.

I'm not saying the Packers are infallible, far from it. They are just 5 steps ahead of the fans in terms of understanding everything that is going on during a game and what the Packers are trying to accomplish at any given moment. IF the Packers had been successful in their clock gambit, they would have had the opportunity for a double dip .... scoring at the end of the 1st half and getting the ball to start the 2nd half. 

There is so much we don't know.

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The Packers have a stats guy, used to be Mike Eayrs - who was one of the best in the game. Now they have both a stats guy and an entire department dedicated to these efforts. That's who is running the clock scenarios and feeding information to MM, Edgar Bennett and AR during the course of the game. What they are also doing is collecting info on how the opponent handles end-of-game scenarios; that gives them valuable information both for this game and in case these teams meet again in the playoffs.

I'm not saying the Packers are infallible, far from it. They are just 5 steps ahead of the fans in terms of understanding everything that is going on during a game and what the Packers are trying to accomplish at any given moment. IF the Packers had been successful in their clock gambit, they would have had the opportunity for a double dip .... scoring at the end of the 1st half and getting the ball to start the 2nd half. 

There is so much we don't know.

But there is no logical reason to have managed the end of the half like MM did. That was a brainfart by someone who miscalculated either the amount of time left or the number of timeouts we had.

There is no deeper understanding of this situation.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

But there is no logical reason to have managed the end of the half like MM did. That was a brainfart by someone who miscalculated either the amount of time left or the number of timeouts we had.

There is no deeper understanding of this situation.

Yeah I kept thinking okay there is some reason but there's really not. Unless you think turnover or they get annoyed that you did it and throw on third or something but it ended being third and relatively short

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

At that point they went 63 yards on 8 plays.  15 yards rushing and the rest on 4 completions.  How can you be mad?  They didn't run the ball down the field.  They had 2 6 yard runs and a 3 yard run.  

The score/clock/situation no longer called for an open playcall. We only needed 3 points and the clock to run to win. Once you secure the points you go to work on the clock. If you have to throw for a first down on the next drive you can do so then.  But if you run the ball there, the clock goes to 6:20, up 11. Seattle then has to A) Have stopped you from getting a first down on three runs before the FG. B) Get a TD+2 PT or FG. C)Get the ball back. D) Get the other side of B. All in 6:20. 

40 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

The score/clock/situation no longer called for an open playcall. We only needed 3 points and the clock to run to win. Once you secure the points you go to work on the clock. If you have to throw for a first down on the next drive you can do so then.  But if you run the ball there, the clock goes to 6:20, up 11. Seattle then has to A) Have stopped you from getting a first down on three runs before the FG. B) Get a TD+2 PT or FG. C)Get the ball back. D) Get the other side of B. All in 6:20. 

There's plenty of people that would be upset of we went run run run. We went three passes? Is that right? I would rather not see that obviously. 

I mean look at the Seattle collapse, crazy things can happen regardless I suppose.

I had issues with Mac in the past.  But this is a new season.  I think as a coach, he learns from mistakes.  I actually believe that.  He kind of proved me right when he called that bootleg to Bennett.  I've got no worries/issues with him at all this year.  

21 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Do people consider Sean Payton a top coach. He did the same crap with a worse defense and cost them 6. 

Since it's the TO thing that clearly triggered this.

I don't like it but he was trusting his kids. I hope they don't hate that.

Payton was a big reason why they lost. They could throw it all day, yet kept running it for nothing. Hes play calling was terrible.

5 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

There's plenty of people that would be upset of we went run run run. We went three passes? Is that right? I would rather not see that obviously. 

I mean look at the Seattle collapse, crazy things can happen regardless I suppose.

The call should've been: Run, Run, Run or Pass depending on the remaining distance and only throw it if it's there, if not, take a sack and kick the 40 yard FG. We'll see what happens if we end up in a clock management situation again.

20 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

My main problem(s) is he seems to make it really obvious when we're going to run the ball.

The other one is a lot of the time we don't attack the MIDDLE of the field enough when passing the ball and our routes are a HIGH majority of deep/sideline routes, which take too much time to develop a lot of the times.

These two things have worn on me since MM took over and seem so obvious to me...

I agree with you in part, though at the same time he will use that to generate big plays in the passing game.  For example, the game-winning play where Rodgers made an impressive throw between 2 defenders to Bennett, the Seahawks were totally faked into believing that the Packers were about to run the ball.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:41 PM, skibrett15 said:

It was mathematically impossible unless seattle threw an incompletion or otherwise stopped the clock.

Pretty detailed article on MM's use of time outs at the end of the first half both last Sunday and throughout his time in Green Bay.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-mike-mccarthy-pre-halftime-timeout-a-history-633#comment-321883

Archived