A Glimps into the Future

DaWg_LB.

I wanted to get the opinions of the Brothers in the Room. We have already started to look towards the future. I even posted my first preliminary mock draft. 

Who are you excited to see next year, who is already on the team? Unsung Hero's if you will.

I myself have 2......

1. Chad Thomas: Surprised me...I thought this was going to be a BUST, after spending the top pick in the 3rd round for him.....with Garret and Vernon being out for multiple games, this guy has been holding it down decently in the interim, I would like to see another year of experience and another offseason worth of workouts.

2. Justin Burris: All he does is make plays, this former 4th round pick of the Jets, has helped stabilize a backfield that has 1 S out for the year with injury, 1 S missing time with injury and attitude issues, 1 S having knee surgery and missing  the past 6-8 weeks, and 1 S who decided to retaliate by threatening the life of fans and media member's.....Burris has been solid. I think he deserves an opportunity to fight for the starting SS job next season.

Who you got?

• Like 3

This is a tough one. At the positions where we are unsure of for next year we don't seem to have a lot of potential starters there within our depth.

I'll say Bryan Cox jr. just because he made a couple plays in the most recent game.

Screw it, I'll say Redwine also for the exact same reason.

It's probably going to be a lot of the 19 draftees though. The LBers. Forbes maybe.

• Like 1

I'm going to go bold here and say if we keep the same coaching staff then Stephen Carlson is going to be a significant contributor.  We seem to want to rely on him a lot and I don't think our team really likes Njoku too much.  I think Njoku is better and Carlson isn't a starter in the league, but I think he's got a chance to win a lot of trust moving forward.

• Like 1

1.) Sheldrick Redwine: I have a feeling he becomes our starting FS with Randall leaving in Free Agency. 

2.) Mack Wilson: Does he have staying power as an impact starter? He's flashed a lot this year, but had horrendous plays with his fits as well. What's his best position?

3.) SIone Takitaki: Loved his Berserker mentality coming out of the draft. Injuries slowed his progression to a halt this year. I have a feeling we let Schobert walk as Dorsey and co. see his skills maximized at their apex now with decline to come and Schobert not being worth big money because although he's really good he's not a difference maker in big games in Dorsey's mind. Takitaki likely takes his place. Either he or Mack Wilson. If we retain Joe Scho, I wonder if Wilks will deviate to a more 3-LB look.

4.) Drew Forbes: Can he be an effective swing-first off the bench guy or more?

Bryan Cox Jr. and Porter Gustin won't be on the roster next year and likely won't make on the roster past the draft. I also expect Pharoah Brown and Stephen Carlson to be gone as well with Njoku and RSJ being the Receiving TE and us upgrading with 2 other Blocking/Hybrid TEs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

1.) Sheldrick Redwine: I have a feeling he becomes our starting FS with Randall leaving in Free Agency. 

Agreed.

2.) Mack Wilson: Does he have staying power as an impact starter? He's flashed a lot this year, but had horrendous plays with his fits as well. What's his best position?

I think he does.

3.) SIone Takitaki: Loved his Berserker mentality coming out of the draft. Injuries slowed his progression to a halt this year. I have a feeling we let Schobert walk as Dorsey and co. see his skills maximized at their apex now with decline to come and Schobert not being worth big money because although he's really good he's not a difference maker in big games in Dorsey's mind. Takitaki likely takes his place. Either he or Mack Wilson. If we retain Joe Scho, I wonder if Wilks will deviate to a more 3-LB look.

Disagree here.

Other than Garrett, no one has earned their paycheck more than Schobert this season. He’s been consistent and has improved every year.  I think we’d be crazy to let him walk at this point.

4.) Drew Forbes: Can he be an effective swing-first off the bench guy or more?

Million dollar question.

Bryan Cox Jr. and Porter Gustin won't be on the roster next year and likely won't make on the roster past the draft. I also expect Pharoah Brown and Stephen Carlson to be gone as well with Njoku and RSJ being the Receiving TE and us upgrading with 2 other Blocking/Hybrid TEs.

Agreed, they’re a bunch of JAGS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Other than Garrett, no one has earned their paycheck more than Schobert this season. He’s been consistent and has improved every year.  I think we’d be crazy to let him walk at this point.

I love Joe Scho, but at some point we have to make some hard decisions.

LB money market is going to be insane this year. It was insane last year.

Jordan Hicks and Kwon Alexander off injuries got 27-34 million guaranteed. CJ Mosley got 51 Million Guaranteed. Jaylon Smith signed a 35.5 million guaranteed contract setting the market for Joe Schobert who with a 2nd pro-bowl is likely looking at the 40-47 million guaranteed number if not more.

You don't pay that for LB in today's game for a steady-eddy Linebacker who's consistent but not a true force or spectacular player. You pay that money for game changing, next level LBs. Joe Schobert is not that imo despite being very very good. He's likely to make the pro bowl again. Two pro-bowls in 3 years is going to net him near the top of the LB market.

Dorsey may believe he already has his 2 LBs on the cheap (Wilson and Takitaki) and would rather spend a lot less on a 3rd proven guy than break the bank for Schobert. The money that would've went to Schobert and Damarious Randall likely goes to signing 2-3 big time Offensive lineman and 2 other defensive impact player.

I certainly think Joe has earned his money, but the market these days may be too much for the Browns considering our other more pressing needs and future cap commitments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Jordan Hicks and Kwon Alexander off injuries got 27-34 million guaranteed. CJ Mosley got 51 Million Guaranteed. Jaylon Smith signed a 35.5 million guaranteed contract setting the market for Joe Schobert who with a 2nd pro-bowl is likely looking at the 40-47 million guaranteed number if not more.

You don't pay that for LB in today's game for a steady-eddy Linebacker who's consistent but not a true force or spectacular player. You pay that money for game changing, next level LBs. Joe Schobert is not that imo despite being very very good. He's likely to make the pro bowl again. Two pro-bowls in 3 years is going to net him near the top of the LB market.

Dorsey may believe he already has his 2 LBs on the cheap (Wilson and Takitaki) and would rather spend a lot less on a 3rd proven guy than break the bank for Schobert. The money that would've went to Schobert and Damarious Randall likely goes to signing 2-3 big time Offensive lineman and 2 other defensive impact player.

I certainly think Joe has earned his money, but the market these days may be too much for the Browns considering our other more pressing needs and future cap commitments.

I agree he’s going to get paid, but I think when you look at contracts of guys like Carrie, Kirksey, Randall and potentially Vernon coming off the books defensively, I think there’s more than enough for him.

As far as the impact defensive players we’d get, I think we’d be hard pressed to find a better player in FA. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Who gives a **** about the market? It’s constantly changing, players contracts are spiking, and teams find ways to get out of those bad contracts.

Saints have supposedly been in cap hell forever and still find ways to keep impact players.