Derek Stingley Jr. (LSU) is the best CB prospect regardless of class...

VanS

He's only an 18 years old true freshmen and already the best pro prospect on the #1 team in the country.  Everytime I've watched LSU play this season he has flashed more high-end NFL talent than any other player on that team.  His physical gifts are just insane.  6'1" 195 lbs with fluid hips, 4.3 speed, and elite instincts.  

I don't see any reason why he won't be the top CB taken in the 2022 NFL Draft and in contention to be the first CB ever to go #1 overall. 

Just now, VanS said:

He's only an 18 years old true freshmen and already the best pro prospect on the #1 team in the country.  Everytime I've watched LSU play this season he has flashed more high-end NFL talent than any other player on that team.  His physical gifts are just insane.  6'1" 195 lbs with fluid hips, 4.3 speed, and elite instincts.  

I don't see any reason why he won't be the top CB taken in the 2022 NFL Draft and in contention to be the first CB ever to go #1 overall. 

No offense dude but how is this even news?  I have said that since October in terms of him being arguably the best corner in the nation.  It is a weak corner group nationally right now and he is easily one of the best ones out there.  However did you watch the Bama game?  He did play pretty bad in that one and got beat a few times, but played great recently and one should expect him to get beat a few times but Bama he got burnt by Smith multiple times in single coverage.  Still is a great player I agree and has great natural coverage skills.

PS He is not a better pro prospect compared to Burrow, Stingley will not be the #1 pick in the draft which Burrow probably will be.  No way a team drafts a corner #1 overall in the NFL of today.  It is all about getting to the QB, protecting the QB or being a QB.  If there are quality players who can do that they will get the 1st overall nod.  To be a #1 overall pick as a DB one would have to be an outstanding return man and have some TD potential in special teams play to even be considered, or a straight out ball hawk who can jump routes better than anyone.  I have heard talk of Stingley playing offense next year but not sure that happens and honestly would be kind of stupid to do so unless they were really desperate at WR, which they should not be with Marshall and Chase back and probably Moss.  

If you want to talk first round picks as true freshman, Tiawan Mullen should be one as well, super tough and confident corner who had a great season this year.  Oh and Kyle Hamilton on Notre Dame at safety looks like he could become a special player as well.  

54 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He is not a better pro prospect compared to Burrow, Stingley will not be the #1 pick in the draft which Burrow probably will be.  No way a team drafts a corner #1 overall in the NFL of today.  It is all about getting to the QB, protecting the QB or being a QB.  If there are quality players who can do that they will get the 1st overall nod.  To be a #1 overall pick as a DB one would have to be an outstanding return man and have some TD potential in special teams play to even be considered, or a straight out ball hawk who can jump routes better than anyone.

Just because you go #1 overall in the draft as a QB doesn't make you a better pro prospect than a positional player.  It just means NFL teams place more value on the QB position and are more willing to pay a premium price on a player who is less talented at his position than another player who plays a less highly regarded position.  Derek Stingley looks like a future All-Pro CB in the NFL in the mold of Champ Bailey.  I doubt many people view Joe Burrow as a future All-Pro QB in the NFL.  That is why I said he's the best pro prospect at LSU.  He might not be drafted the highest but he will have the best NFL career.

I know going #1 overall as a CB is a tall task but if anyone is gonna do it, it'll be this kid.  He's got as good a skill set at the CB position as I've seen since Champ Bailey.

I recently subscribed to ESPN+ which is pretty much the only way to watch college football in the UK and LSU was the first team I really watched over 90 minutes. He was the standout to me. He's got a couple years of progression, but he's a serious prospect. He'll go to a poor team, that's for sure! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This is your first non-hot take!

I was actually gonna say he's the best CB prospect I've seen in the last 20 years but then I realized that would get called a hot take so I just said he's the best prospect right now.

To me he's Champ Bailey 2.0.  He'll be the best corner in the NFL.

3 hours ago, VanS said:

I was actually gonna say he's the best CB prospect I've seen in the last 20 years but then I realized that would get called a hot take so I just said he's the best prospect right now.

To me he's Champ Bailey 2.0.  He'll be the best corner in the NFL.

He might be that good at corner that saying he’s the best you’ve seen in 20 years wouldn’t be that absurd. But yeah, we definitely need more tape to comb through before anointing him. 

Champ Bailey seems like a good comp, although Stingley can fill out his frame and be much bigger. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

I recently subscribed to ESPN+ which is pretty much the only way to watch college football in the UK and LSU was the first team I really watched over 90 minutes. He was the standout to me. He's got a couple years of progression, but he's a serious prospect. He'll go to a poor team, that's for sure! 

60 minutes ? :)

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Because he plays opposite Fulton

Maybe but really they test him because they can and LSU leaves him alone out there because he can handle it.  Did not do well against Bama but recently has done very well.  Give me Stingley over Fulton as a prospect all day long, Fulton seems to get hurt more often than he should and is not as physical as Stingley in terms of being able to take contact.  In terms of the Champ comparison I doubt Stingley ever is as productive offensively in college football as Champ Bailey was, he legit played both ways and was arguably the best two way play in recent memory to ever play in college football.  He was better than Charles Woodson in terms of his offensive production no question, it is not even close.  Bailey had 700+ yards receiving and lead the team in that category along with playing D full time.  Really doubt Stingley could do that.    

Stingley is one of the leaders in college in deflected passes and getting his hands on the football to break up completions.  No surprise Amik Robertson is up there as well.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/38

PS I  do not get why Grant Delpit won the Thorpe Award, he was a better player last year and had better statistics across the board, more interceptions, sacks, tackles and passes deflected.  I think he has disappointed a little bit this year as has that defense overall outside of the past two weeks.  Okudah should have won that award, he has been more impressive on a more impressive defense throughout the season.  LSU gave up 37 to Ole Miss, 41 to Bama, 28 to Florida, 38 to Vandy and 38 to Texas.  Sure maybe it was because they just did not care because the offense scored so many points and they just played soft defense but still that is a crap ton of points especially against Vandy and Ole Miss regardless of the situation.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but really they test him because they can and LSU leaves him alone out there because he can handle it.  Did not do well against Bama but recently has done very well.  Give me Stingley over Fulton as a prospect all day long, Fulton seems to get hurt more often than he should and is not as physical as Stingley in terms of being able to take contact.  In terms of the Champ comparison I doubt Stingley ever is as productive offensively in college football as Champ Bailey was, he legit played both ways and was arguably the best two way play in recent memory to ever play in college football.  He was better than Charles Woodson in terms of his offensive production no question, it is not even close.  Bailey had 700+ yards receiving and lead the team in that category along with playing D full time.  Really doubt Stingley could do that.    

Stingley is one of the leaders in college in deflected passes and getting his hands on the football to break up completions.  No surprise Amik Robertson is up there as well.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/38

PS I  do not get why Grant Delpit won the Thorpe Award, he was a better player last year and had better statistics across the board, more interceptions, sacks, tackles and passes deflected.  I think he has disappointed a little bit this year as has that defense overall outside of the past two weeks.  Okudah should have won that award, he has been more impressive on a more impressive defense throughout the season.  LSU gave up 37 to Ole Miss, 41 to Bama, 28 to Florida, 38 to Vandy and 38 to Texas.  Sure maybe it was because they just did not care because the offense scored so many points and they just played soft defense but still that is a crap ton of points especially against Vandy and Ole Miss regardless of the situation.  

I know Stingley is the better prospect.