Packers Release LaDarius Gunter, RJF

packfanfb

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Oh, well, I'm in favor of cutting the zero upside steady eddie who has no role on STs in favor of the upside UDFA who does play on STs.  It's just STs play, which is something we all don't have access/knowledge of/pay attention to.  It seemed surprising to me too until I think about how it's definitely because he has no ST ability and the rest do.

I'd rather keep the guy that can get me out of a game if say Rollins and King were to collide in the secondary than a bottom tier ST player. Just as DBs alone go Jones, Evans, Brice, Hawkins are better ST players than Pipkins.

13 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Yeah I don't get how they grade the value of players either sometimes.. and it also wouldnt shock me if that happened lol

I sure won't scream, he was our 5-6th best corner, tells ya how much confidence we have in House, King, Randall, and Rollins

He might fit well with the right guys. I just hate the ho hum to a release them screaming if they do anything. Remember that UDFA corner we cut then he had like a double INT game lol. He never did a thing after but I heard about that for a while. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd rather keep the guy that can get me out of a game if say Rollins and King were to collide in the secondary than a bottom tier ST player. Just as DBs alone go Jones, Evans, Brice, Hawkins are better ST players than Pipkins.

Exactly. Gunter can get ya out of one and we have plenty of that body that can play ST. Gmo doesn't play teams... It's a sum of parts thing for me anyways.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean, we're in need of multiple injuries in our secondary before we'd get into a situation where LaDarius Gunter would get significant burn on defense.  He's probably fifth on the DC, and I think this speaks more about their evaluation of Josh Hawkins and Lenzy Pipkins than it does about Gunter.  Gunter is what he is, a corner with physical limitations.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

are we sure gunter is even better than, say, hawkins?

I thought I remember reading that Gunter kinda sucked in camp.

Josh hasn't played hardly any snaps in the NFL on defense. So we can't know. He sounded better than Gunter in camp. Gunter seems like a guy who's always gonna sound crappy in camp though with that style?

Hawkins is hurt ATM right?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, we're in need of multiple injuries in our secondary before we'd get into a situation where LaDarius Gunter would get significant burn on defense.  He's probably fifth on the DC, and I think this speaks more about their evaluation of Josh Hawkins and Lenzy Pipkins than it does about Gunter.  Gunter is what he is, a corner with physical limitations.

I suppose that's true. But when injuries came calling last year there was no shortage of fans upset with our depth.

I just can't imagine that Pip would be a better corner playing real snaps than Gunter this year... Even with whatever ST value is perceived.

I wonder if the fact House is just a better faster Gunter helps? You have that body for the guys Gunter covers already?

I think the OL issue is still not settled.  Barclay's injury seems to be a mystery.  maybe they are looking to bring someone in there.  But it would make more sense to move 1 of the OL, not a DL.  maybe the Brooks injury is creating a need at OLB and someone from the PS is likely to be moved up.   

Just spitballing and trying to sort out the why to the supposed 2 cuts

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think the OL issue is still not settled.  Barclay's injury seems to be a mystery.  maybe they are looking to bring someone in there.  But it would make more sense to move 1 of the OL, not a DL.  maybe the Brooks injury is creating a need at OLB and someone from the PS is likely to be moved up.   

Just spitballing and trying to sort out the why to the supposed 2 cuts

Grecomania

Archived