Packers Release LaDarius Gunter, RJF

packfanfb

36 minutes ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Feel bad for RJF since he seemed to love it here but he played 6 snaps last week and Dial didn't even suit up. If anything, this team saw Dial as an upgrade over RJF and M. Adams is still coming back. Gotta love the desire to upgrade.

Yeah .. moves like the ones today keep people on their toes.  I don't think anyone here saw either cut coming.  It does seem like we have a definite sense of urgency this season.

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. moves like the ones today keep people on their toes.  I don't think anyone here saw either cut coming.  It does seem like we have a definite sense of urgency this season.

Early years of Wolf/Holmgren, the bottom 2-3 players on the roster seemed to be in constant turnover.  Granted, the roster was not nearly as talented then as it appears to be now.

Being complacent is never a good thing, FO should always be looking for an upgrade to the roster and players should feel they job is never as secure as they think it might be.  Competition for roster spots brings out the best in some, shows the worst in others.  

I don't like the idea of keeping people on their toes when they didn't necessarily deserve to be cut. Neither are stars but it's just abrupt timing. Cut guys not making the grade not guys you told were good enough a week ago and did nothing to move the needle towards a cut.

I don't personally believe this has a positive affect on the locker room. Just walking around randomly lopping off heads isn't good for that... Which isn't to say they shouldn't have been cut. I just disagree it's a good thing in that regard.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Gunter is out due to STs.  RJF is out because we are healthy at DL and Adams and Dial are better than him in the eyes of the coaches.  We aren't gonna play too many DL snaps, we never do.

Then cut Gunter before this. He didn't get bad at ST today. But yeah that's certainly a part. 

I don't hate the cuts. I dislike the timing. RJF timing makes more sense I suppose.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't like the idea of keeping people on their toes when they didn't necessarily deserve to be cut. Neither are stars but it's just abrupt timing. Cut guys not making the grade not guys you told were good enough a week ago and did nothing to move the needle towards a cut.

I don't personally believe this has a positive affect on the locker room. Just walking around randomly lopping off heads isn't good for that... Which isn't to say they shouldn't have been cut. I just disagree it's a good thing in that regard.

It's just the nature of the NFL, for whatever reason we cut them, we as fans are just left to speculate why? Sorta how Josh Sitton left last year abruptly. Those guys were good backups but the good news is we still have solid depth at both positions. Gunter actually makes more sense to me as it seems like they like Hawkins a lot and they wanted to get him a lot of playing time in the preseason especially. Don't think losing this guys will have significant impact on the locker room or on the field.

Then cut Gunter before this. He didn't get bad at ST today. But yeah that's certainly a part. 

I don't hate the cuts. I dislike the timing. RJF timing makes more sense I suppose.

only thing that makes sense to me is that Gunter was the guy getting the axe in place of Allison and that RJF was kept week 1 for two reasons:

1) Give him his salary as latching onto another team now shouldn't be that much more difficult for him than a week earlier either

2) Needed another body for week 1 with Dial and Adams not being ready and GB had already told him this

This would make sense if we now bring someone else up off our P.S. (one less DL for one more?? maybe OL (Kofi) or LB (Gilbert)). Some position we had enough for week 1 but a guy we wanted and hoped to get through waivers onto our PS.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

someone had to go for allison to stay.  That's the timing for Gunter.

Looks like TBD on RJF right?  Seems like he's out though, but no official transaction yet.

Sure but before anyone told you he was cut how many players would you have listed to be more likely as a cut than him?

I know who it's for. I don't understand why it's him instead of a couple other guys at least. 

Sure but before anyone told you he was cut how many players would you have listed to be more likely as a cut than him?

I know who it's for. I don't understand why it's him instead of a couple other guys at least. 

I think it makes sense when you factor in S.T. We were heavy on CBs (7) and I suspect Pipkins and Hawkins have more teams value. 

And oddly, we could end up getting Gunter back on the practice squad if he clears waivers ha

doubt he'd want to sign with us though...

Oh, well, I'm in favor of cutting the zero upside steady eddie who has no role on STs in favor of the upside UDFA who does play on STs.  It's just STs play, which is something we all don't have access/knowledge of/pay attention to.  It seemed surprising to me too until I think about how it's definitely because he has no ST ability and the rest do.

7 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

It's just the nature of the NFL, for whatever reason we cut them, we as fans are just left to speculate why? Sorta how Josh Sitton left last year abruptly. Those guys were good backups but the good news is we still have solid depth at both positions. Gunter actually makes more sense to me as it seems like they like Hawkins a lot and they wanted to get him a lot of playing time in the preseason especially. Don't think losing this guys will have significant impact on the locker room or on the field.

I guess I don't understand how McCray has more value on our current 53 than Gunter. I suppose I'm more comfortable with his legs than most fans, which I've noticed plenty.

I wasn't arguing it'll have a negative locker room influence BTW. I was reading in between the lines that cutting guys like this keeps guys on their toes which can have or will have a positive affect.

There's not gonna be any negative impact in my eyes. But if Gunter goes and plays somewhere well and I have to hear screaming over it I'm gonna pull my hair out since most everyone but me seems fine with this lol

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Oh, well, I'm in favor of cutting the zero upside steady eddie who has no role on STs in favor of the upside UDFA who does play on STs.  It's just STs play, which is something we all don't have access/knowledge of/pay attention to.  It seemed surprising to me too until I think about how it's definitely because he has no ST ability and the rest do.

I'm the most pro ST guy around. I'll bring it up as much as anyone online. But are we hurting there so bad he needs to be moved for it? I am not arguing he can play ST.... I'm saying even without it the sum of his parts are worth more than McCray. And maybe Pip.

It is what it is. It's just Gunter at the end of the day.

I guess I don't understand how McCray has more value on our current 53 than Gunter. I suppose I'm more comfortable with his legs than most fans, which I've noticed plenty.

I wasn't arguing it'll have a negative locker room influence BTW. I was reading in between the lines that cutting guys like this keeps guys on their toes which can have or will have a positive affect.

There's not gonna be any negative impact in my eyes. But if Gunter goes and plays somewhere well and I have to hear screaming over it I'm gonna pull my hair out since most everyone but me seems fine with this lol

Yeah I don't get how they grade the value of players either sometimes.. and it also wouldnt shock me if that happened lol

I sure won't scream, he was our 5-6th best corner, tells ya how much confidence we have in House, King, Randall, and Rollins

Archived