Was Saquon the right pick for Giants?

SotanKing

Was Saquon the right pick?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Was Saquon the right pick?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2019 at 11:23 PM

3 hours ago, Elky said:

You are out of your God damn mind if you seriously believe this. Darnold and Danny Dimes are literally the same mediocre quarterback.

Darnold and Jones have both shown me that they are inconsistent and mediocre so far. 

The SKILL/TALENT level between SaQuon and the... 4th best RB is bigger than that of Darnold and Jones, however the IMPACT is not, because Runningbacks (and Linebackers) are relatively low impact positions in today's game.

No Barkley was not the right pick, I said it on the Giants board at the time. I was very big on us drafting Sam Darnold

However as much as I dislike how Gettleman is rebuilding this team, I have to give him full credit for Daniel Jones. I do believe Daniel Jones is the Quarterback of the future for the Giants.  Daniel Jones problem  has the exact same problem  Barkley does, our offensive line. 

So while I don't agree with us getting Barkley I don't mind it now that we have Daniel Jones, we just need to get a GM in place that will finally fix our offensive line so both of these talented players can lead the Giants to the playoffs.  

Saquon would have been a bad pick if Darnold, Allen, Rosen turned out to be great, AND we missed out on our franchise quarterback. But they aren’t, and we didn’t. 

The narrative before the 2018 draft was that the QB class was stacked, and the 2019 QB class was weak. So by drafting Saquon, we were missing out on a franchise quarterback for the next few years, and with an aging Eli that would be problematic. But here we are a year later, and the Giants have their franchise quarterback. That makes the 2018 draft debate moot. Daniel Jones has shown flashes of greatness as a rookie. Once he gains experience and consistency, he will lead the Giants back to the playoffs. 

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 8:06 PM, Nzd07 said:

generation talent or not, positional value matters. should've taken Darnold

lol Darnold? That guy is going to be an average QB in the league...and the guy they currently have under center will probably be better. Saquon was definitely the right pick. There is no single player that completely turns around a franchise...but very few players in the NFL can affect a game like Saquon Barkley. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

Saquon would have been a bad pick if Darnold, Allen, Rosen turned out to be great, AND we missed out on our franchise quarterback. But they aren’t, and we didn’t. 

The narrative before the 2018 draft was that the QB class was stacked, and the 2019 QB class was weak. So by drafting Saquon, we were missing out on a franchise quarterback for the next few years, and with an aging Eli that would be problematic. But here we are a year later, and the Giants have their franchise quarterback. That makes the 2018 draft debate moot. Daniel Jones has shown flashes of greatness as a rookie. Once he gains experience and consistency, he will lead the Giants back to the playoffs. 

So, you've seen enough of Darnold/Allen to determine neither will be great, meanwhile, Daniel Jones is a lock to bring the Giants back to the promise land? Completely rational. 

Should've figured it would only take one good game from Jones to get you back on here sharing your impartial insight. 

3 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

So, you've seen enough of Darnold/Allen to determine neither will be great, meanwhile, Daniel Jones is a lock to bring the Giants back to the promise land? Completely rational. 

Should've figured it would only take one good game from Jones to get you back on here sharing your impartial insight. 

Jets fans are hoping Darnold flips some sort of magic switch. He’s had two seasons now. He’s not particularly good at anything, and he doesn’t even have a skill set like Josh Allen to generate some excitement. How long does Darnold get to live on his pre-draft hype before we can call him a disappointment? I’d say that after two seasons he should have shown us something more. Daniel Jones came out firing in his very first start. That’s not to say he hasn’t had his bad moments. But he at least gives Giants fans something to get excited about.  I don’t think honest Jets fans would say the same about Darnold. 

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Jets fans are hoping Darnold flips some sort of magic switch. He’s had two seasons now. He’s not particularly good at anything, and he doesn’t even have a skill set like Josh Allen to generate some excitement. How long does Darnold get to live on his pre-draft hype before we can call him a disappointment? I’d say that after two seasons he should have shown us something more. Daniel Jones came out firing in his very first start. That’s not to say he hasn’t had his bad moments. But he at least gives Giants fans something to get excited about.  I don’t think honest Jets fans would say the same about Darnold. 

You do realize Darnold is younger than Jones right? I get it might not necessarily fit your narrative but at least try to be objective in your reasoning. I've watched enough football to realize how foolish it is to form irrational opinions fueled by emotion, I suggest you work on that. 

Hopefully Jones finishes strong next week or we might miss out on your entertaining takes till next preseason! 

15 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

You do realize Darnold is younger than Jones right? I get it might not necessarily fit your narrative but at least try to be objective in your reasoning. I've watched enough football to realize how foolish it is to form irrational opinions fueled by emotion, I suggest you work on that. 

Hopefully Jones finishes strong next week or we might miss out on your entertaining takes till next preseason! 

Age doesn't mean a whole lot. Experience in the league is more important. Darnold is going through a lot of ups and downs right now. The question is, can he become more consistent, or will he go the way of Trubisky?

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Age doesn't mean a whole lot. Experience in the league is more important. Darnold is going through a lot of ups and downs right now. The question is, can he become more consistent, or will he go the way of Trubisky?

That's true, but the way Gmen talks about Darnold you'd think he was a proven vet or known commodity (Mariota). I'm not arguing Darnold will be a future All-Pro, simply using age to demonstrate how ridiculous it is to crown one guy (Jones) and label the other (Darnold) a "disappointment".

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

That's true, but the way Gmen talks about Darnold you'd think he was a proven vet or known commodity (Mariota). I'm not arguing Darnold will be a future All-Pro, simply using age to demonstrate how ridiculous it is to crown one guy (Jones) and label the other (Darnold) a "disappointment".

I don't think it's fair to write a book on a QB until a decent chunk of the way through their 3rd season.

• Like 1