Xbox Series X

showtime

41 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Even though I didn't own a ONE, I am a big fan of what XBOX has done this gen. I think the PS4 was the worst console I've ever owned...aside from the games.

No idea which console I'll be buying next gen, or if both.

Phil Spencer has really done wonders for the Xbox division of Microsoft.  I hear what you're saying about the PS4 - one of the things I hated about it was Sony's unwillingness to participate in cross platform.  However, that is coming to an end.  Sony is jumping into cross platform more and more.  In fact, last night they announced that Xbox and PS will now be cross plat for Mortal Kombat 11.  That's a shocker to me because that game came out back in March and they're adding cross play to it.

There was an announcement earlier this week that Sony exclusive baseball title MLB The Show will now be on the Switch and Xbox starting as early as 2021. 

Just now, Heimdallr said:

Why couldn't they just call it Xbox Series 3? They could have 3S, 3X, etc. if they want different models. 

I'm too invested in the Playstation infrastructure to switch, but even I was hyped at that trailer. Really well done. 

New consoles are a good time to switch, especially since these are all backwards compatible.  Sony is extremely late to that game, as Microsoft has been doing that for years.  The reason I wouldn't switch is because Xbox's exclusives are extremely weak.  That has hampered them the past 7 or so years.  They've really made great strides with Spencer under the helm via acquiring new talent/companies, but the games haven't come out yet.  I will say, that new Halo game - Halo Infinite is going to be insane. 

With all that said, Xbox exclusives are also on PC.  To me that makes it to where I low key wouldn't buy an Xbox console again.  Unless they do something insane that Sony isn't doing, I'm going PS5 this gen.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

New consoles are a good time to switch, especially since these are all backwards compatible.  Sony is extremely late to that game, as Microsoft has been doing that for years.  The reason I wouldn't switch is because Xbox's exclusives are extremely weak.  That has hampered them the past 7 or so years.  They've really made great strides with Spencer under the helm via acquiring new talent/companies, but the games haven't come out yet.  I will say, that new Halo game - Halo Infinite is going to be insane. 

With all that said, Xbox exclusives are also on PC.  To me that makes it to where I low key wouldn't buy an Xbox console again.  Unless they do something insane that Sony isn't doing, I'm going PS5 this gen.

Yeah, I have a PC and there aren't any Xbox games that interest me, so I have no reason to get one. Cool looking system though.

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Even though I didn't own a ONE, I am a big fan of what XBOX has done this gen. I think the PS4 was the worst console I've ever owned...aside from the games.

No idea which console I'll be buying next gen, or if both.

PS3, and the Xbox One Launch Version, were both much much worse than the PS4. The PS4 UI is just incredibly slow and the need to copy update files is painfully slow making updates take 3x as long as they should. Though the UI is quicker on the PS4 Pro.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, showtime said:

See and I don't think Microsoft really minds that, because the rumor already is that BOTH of the next Gen Consoles would be sold at a small loss as they'd expect to make the majority of their money from software/physical disks. So what platform you choose to play their games on does not matter to them. I don't own a PC because I can't using the keyboard "oh but you can play with a controller" yeah but in any competitive game that usually puts you at a disadvantage, no thanks to that.

44 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Why couldn't they just call it Xbox Series 3? They could have 3S, 3X, etc. if they want different models. 

I'm too invested in the Playstation infrastructure to switch, but even I was hyped at that trailer. Really well done. 

Or just call it the Xbox Scarlett S/X

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Danger said:

See and I don't think Microsoft really minds that, because the rumor already is that BOTH of the next Gen Consoles would be sold at a small loss as they'd expect to make the majority of their money from software/physical disks. So what platform you choose to play their games on does not matter to them. I don't own a PC because I can't using the keyboard "oh but you can play with a controller" yeah but in any competitive game that usually puts you at a disadvantage, no thanks to that.

I know they make the majority of the money off of software sales.  They need to make better games, though.  Halo is obviously going to be a massive money maker for them, but then what?  Gears of War 5 already came out and it's honestly just meh.  They really need to create a vast library of exclusive games that are high quality games.  Sony has done that and they continue to make more games.  Sony will need to continue making more titles as well, but they're in a really good spot.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

I know they make the majority of the money off of software sales.  They need to make better games, though.  Halo is obviously going to be a massive money maker for them, but then what?  Gears of War 5 already came out and it's honestly just meh.  They really need to create a vast library of exclusive games that are high quality games.  Sony has done that and they continue to make more games.  Sony will need to continue making more titles as well, but they're in a really good spot.

Microsoft has acquired 15 studios over the last handful of years and it's pretty apparent they more or less conceded this generation and are holding their cards for the eve of the next gen. Will they be as good as Sony in terms of number of interesting games to come out? I can't really say, that said, I think it will be MUCH closer this time around since Microsoft has their priorities straight now. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Microsoft has acquired 15 studios over the last handful of years and it's pretty apparent they more or less conceded this generation and are holding their cards for the eve of the next gen. Will they be as good as Sony in terms of number of interesting games to come out? I can't really say, that said, I think it will be MUCH closer this time around since Microsoft has their priorities straight now. 

I agree.  They've done a lot to try to make better games, but at the end of the day there needs to be production.  Microsoft has always - and I mean back to the 360 days and even maybe the original Xbox days - struggled to make memorable single player experiences.  Microsoft's big advantage was that they were always cutting edge when it came to online - Xbox Live was head and shoulders superior to Playstation Online.  However, over the recent years Sony has caught up in a major way with Playstation Plus. 

Sony is basically the opposite - they make amazing single player games, but they cannot make a quality multiplayer exclusive game.  The reason that doesn't matter as much is because the market is literally filled with multiplayer PvP type games. 

I will say, things do change over time.  Back when the 360 and PS3 first came out, Xbox was the console with the great exclusive games with Gears of War and Halo.  Sony was the one struggling to drum up the marquee exclusive titles.  This was back in maybe 2006 and 2007.  Sony has really taken off since then.  I have faith in Phil Spencer, though.  Maybe Xbox has some real gem exclusives this upcoming gen.

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

I agree.  They've done a lot to try to make better games, but at the end of the day there needs to be production.  Microsoft has always - and I mean back to the 360 days and even maybe the original Xbox days - struggled to make memorable single player experiences.  Microsoft's big advantage was that they were always cutting edge when it came to online - Xbox Live was head and shoulders superior to Playstation Online.  However, over the recent years Sony has caught up in a major way with Playstation Plus. 

Sony is basically the opposite - they make amazing single player games, but they cannot make a quality multiplayer exclusive game.  The reason that doesn't matter as much is because the market is literally filled with multiplayer PvP type games. 

I will say, things do change over time.  Back when the 360 and PS3 first came out, Xbox was the console with the great exclusive games with Gears of War and Halo.  Sony was the one struggling to drum up the marquee exclusive titles.  This was back in maybe 2006 and 2007.  Sony has really taken off since then.  I have faith in Phil Spencer, though.  Maybe Xbox has some real gem exclusives this upcoming gen.

We do know that Fable 4 is coming which I'm pretty hyped for. I'm curious to see how Hellblade II turns out, and I'm sure they have more in the works, especially with Obsidian.