Xbox Series X

showtime

I don't get what people are expecting here.  The way the graphics look this gen on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is pretty much it.  You think if they release Forza Horizon 5 on the Xbox Series X that it'll look THAT much better than how it looks on the Xbox One X?

Games that are on PC with rigs that have 2080 TI Super's can output better looking games, but it's not by that much.

The days of being shocked by graphical improvement is over with.  This is not like the PS1 to PS2 days, where the graphical jumps were jaw dropping.  The graphics from the OG Xbox to the Xbox 360 were flooring.  Those days are over with.  That's not happening anymore, so I'm not sure why people are expecting it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't get what people are expecting here.  The way the graphics look this gen on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is pretty much it.  You think if they release Forza Horizon 5 on the Xbox Series X that it'll look THAT much better than how it looks on the Xbox One X?

Games that are on PC with rigs that have 2080 TI Super's can output better looking games, but it's not by that much.

The days of being shocked by graphical improvement is over with.  This is not like the PS1 to PS2 days, where the graphical jumps were jaw dropping.  The graphics from the OG Xbox to the Xbox 360 were flooring.  Those days are over with.  That's not happening anymore, so I'm not sure why people are expecting it.

People are expecting 4K and about 4x the output in terms of realism, realistically expect 4k+ 30-120 FPS games that are a lot smoother and go for a super high caliber of polish. 

I agree but my main issue with this wasn't the games we saw it was the lack of gameplay. 30 minutes of gameplay and most of it was snippets or cinematic trailers or CGI cutscenes. 

I think the most we saw was from the first game and that was 2 minutes maybe? 

3 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

People are expecting 4K and about 4x the output in terms of realism, realistically expect 4k+ 30-120 FPS games that are a lot smoother and go for a super high caliber of polish. 

I agree but my main issue with this wasn't the games we saw it was the lack of gameplay. 30 minutes of gameplay and most of it was snippets or cinematic trailers or CGI cutscenes. 

I think the most we saw was from the first game and that was 2 minutes maybe? 

Yeah, in that case I would agree.  Needed more game play with how much the word 'game play' was being advertised.  I was more talking about how the graphics looked.

In terms of 4K, I think absolute best bet is 4K at 60 FPS.  I highly doubt these consoles can do 4K at a consistent 120 FPS, or I need to see it to believe it.

• Like 1

While we shouldn't expect to see huge upgrades in pure graphical fidelity, there's still plenty of room for noticeable improvement moving to next gen. Shadows/lighting and particle effects in particular should be seeing a massive improvement. I suspect we'll see most of the visual upgrades primarily in 1st party games for a bit as most devs aren't necessarily targeting the new consoles specs just yet.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yeah, in that case I would agree.  Needed more game play with how much the word 'game play' was being advertised.  I was more talking about how the graphics looked.

In terms of 4K, I think absolute best bet is 4K at 60 FPS.  I highly doubt these consoles can do 4K at a consistent 120 FPS, or I need to see it to believe it.

I mean if they upscale it from 1080p you could theoretically get 120FPS at 4k maybe. Depends on the hardware, game and compromises you're willing to make. 

Actually in theory I think you could get PS3-360 era games running games at 4k 120FPS. Definitely some PS2 games though if you wanna see those at 4k....probably not. 

This makes sense why the fidelity and particle effects in these looked way better compared to some of the others.
Both are launching directly into Gamepass, Call of the Sea is also Console exclusive and will be on Gamepass.

The Ascent, Second Extinction and Scarlett Nexus are both potentially Console Exclusives, but I guess it's less clear.

5 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:
6 hours ago, showtime said:

I mean if they upscale it from 1080p you could theoretically get 120FPS at 4k maybe. Depends on the hardware, game and compromises you're willing to make. 

Actually in theory I think you could get PS3-360 era games running games at 4k 120FPS. Definitely some PS2 games though if you wanna see those at 4k....probably not.

Apparently 4k 60 fps is going to be the standard, certain games won't be taxing enough that the fps could go higher and stay 4k.
But some games like Dirt 5 are going to have a 120 fps mode that will drop the resolution a bit to maintain the 120.
Kinda like how some games give you those option on Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro. 

39 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Sounds like XBOX is aware the screwed the pooch on this yesterday. Real shame because this was a great chance to build some momentum on Sony. 

They just need to announce the Xbox Series X at $200 and they win this generation tbh. 

39 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Sounds like XBOX is aware the screwed the pooch on this yesterday. Real shame because this was a great chance to build some momentum on Sony. 

They just need to announce the Xbox Series X at $200 and they win this generation tbh. 

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

yeah, at least they are acknowledging it.
Thing of it is, it wasn't even that bad of a show.
But they let the hype grow way too big.

I think Ubisoft/AC screwed up the most. Gameplay is very specifically viewed as "when I play this game, it'll kinda perform like this" copping out with little flourishes of stuff happening in game like this as gonna tank the whole thing regardless.

Overall we did see a ton of detached camera gameplay.
and it got me interested in titles I would've never gone looking for. One of which was Medium, which won't be on the Xbox One or Playstation. So it got me thinking of games I can play on the new system...which is part of the whole thing.

Had they branded it as a "Next Gen Sneak Peek" thing, or done a slightly better job announcing the exclusivity of some of the games...it maybe would've landed in a good space.

Interested to see if Sony takes the opening and finally does something soon. 
They have til sometime in June when Xbox is doing their Hardware and services stream with IGN/Keighley.

49 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I wonder how long these two can go without naming the price. I guess all the way into September.
Fell like sony should just bite the bullet and go down to $450, they can't do $500.
Plays right into Microsoft's plans. And they'll undersell the hell out of them.

So even if Xbox gets real aggressive with the price at $400, PS5 is within an ok distance to minimize people switching.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I wonder how long these two can go without naming the price. I guess all the way into September.
Fell like sony should just bite the bullet and go down to $450, they can't do $500.
Plays right into Microsoft's plans. And they'll undersell the hell out of them.

So even if Xbox gets real aggressive with the price at $400, PS5 is within an ok distance to minimize people switching.

They're waiting for each other to blink so they can counter with a lower price.

If Xbox goes first, at say $400. I'd bet sony says $300 etc.

Or maybe Sony says $400 Xbox says $500 for the series and $300 for the rumored lockhart box. 

5 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

They're waiting for each other to blink so they can counter with a lower price.

If Xbox goes first, at say $400. I'd bet sony says $300 etc.

Or maybe Sony says $400 Xbox says $500 for the series and $300 for the rumored lockhart box. 

I don’t think Sony can write off that amount of loss though like Microsoft can. Actually I’d say definitively they can’t. Especially not in this year when the film division ranked so hard because of COVID-19. 
Microsoft could probably subsidize the console loss easily by how much more Office 365 / Microsoft Teams money/subscriptions they’ve gotten. Not that they’d have a problem doing it anyway.

If Xbox goes first, which I don’t think they will, and says $400. I think best Sony can do is match. There has been a lot of reports they were struggling with the price. 

either way this is great for everyone. Having to pay $50 to $100 less for next gen will be great whichever side you are leaning.

• Like 1

Man, I'd be shocked if the consoles weren't at least $450, with $499 being more likely. $399 would be a dream come true.

I'm not a business expert, but don't big companies like Microsoft/Sony treat their different divisions separately in terms of spending and profits? Meaning I don't think Microsoft would factor in their other more successful divisions such as Office/Windows when determining price points for the Xbox. They wouldn't take a massive loss on the Xbox and say "ahh, well we can afford it with how well Word is doing." Any losses they take selling the Xbox they assume they'll make up selling other components of the Xbox ecosystem (games, Xbox Live, Game Pass, etc.) I could be wrong there, though.

But yeah, I think Microsoft is absolutely willing to wait until Sony announces something so they could price match them (undercutting isn't out of the question, but might be a little too aggressive financially). Their mindset is going to be "Same price for a more powerful console" which I think is enough to boost their sales.

Edited by elevators_rule