Xbox Series X

showtime

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Sony going $450 then Microsoft going $449 would be fantastic.

They'll both be $449.99 

I'd guess both consoles end up around the $300-$400 range because of the economy and companies and especially Sony are willing to take losses on a console early to get units out the door.

The major question is the second Xbox "lockhart" Microsoft might have, or a potential cheaper version from Sony. 

3 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Man, I'd be shocked if the consoles weren't at least $450, with $499 being more likely. $399 would be a dream come true.

I'm not a business expert, but don't big companies like Microsoft/Sony treat their different divisions separately in terms of spending and profits? Meaning I don't think Microsoft would factor in their other more successful divisions such as Office/Windows when determining price points for the Xbox. They wouldn't take a massive loss on the Xbox and say "ahh, well we can afford it with how well Word is doing." Any losses they take selling the Xbox they assume they'll make up selling other components of the Xbox ecosystem (games, Xbox Live, Game Pass, etc.) I could be wrong there, though.

But yeah, I think Microsoft is absolutely willing to wait until Sony announces something so they could price match them (undercutting isn't out of the question, but might be a little too aggressive financially). Their mindset is going to be "Same price for a more powerful console" which I think is enough to boost their sales.

I do think that Gamepass and Xbox’s services would be the chief reason to allowing a price drop. But just going off of what’s been said, Xbox has the full resources of Microsoft at their disposal. They want to be competitive. I think extra income coming in elsewhere just makes it even more of a sure thing. 

I think it really depends on Sony. Right now they don’t seem to very competitive at the start of the gen. The Horizon sequel will come out year one but none of their other studios are in line to have Next Gen games ready til late 2021 at the earliest. But if they come out and show off Spider-Man 2 (even if it isn’t coming for awhile), show off stuff way in advance like they’ve done in the past, if they pay for some of these 3rd party games to be exclusives or timed exclusives for longer periods. I think they can piece together a compelling enough show. Especially cause they’ll have Next gen CoD on “stage” which is still a draw for now. They come out like that at $449. I think the Xbox team takes a harder hit and goes $399 + 3-6 months of Gamepass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I do think that Gamepass and Xbox’s services would be the chief reason to allowing a price drop. But just going off of what’s been said, Xbox has the full resources of Microsoft at their disposal. They want to be competitive. I think extra income coming in elsewhere just makes it even more of a sure thing. 

I think it really depends on Sony. Right now they don’t seem to very competitive at the start of the gen. The Horizon sequel will come out year one but none of their other studios are in line to have Next Gen games ready til late 2021 at the earliest. But if they come out and show off Spider-Man 2 (even if it isn’t coming for awhile), show off stuff way in advance like they’ve done in the past, if they pay for some of these 3rd party games to be exclusives or timed exclusives for longer periods. I think they can piece together a compelling enough show. Especially cause they’ll have Next gen CoD on “stage” which is still a draw for now. They come out like that at $449. I think the Xbox team takes a harder hit and goes $399 + 3-6 months of Gamepass.

What's funny is their 2020 lineup has been pretty great.

Their 2021 lineup looks super sketch, I'm still amazed Sony didn't delay Ghosts of Tshuima, LOU2, or Final fantasy 7 into a PS5 exclusive. 

FF7R as a system exclusive would've been a massive seller at launch. 

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

What's funny is their 2020 lineup has been pretty great.

Their 2021 lineup looks super sketch, I'm still amazed Sony didn't delay Ghosts of Tshuima, LOU2, or Final fantasy 7 into a PS5 exclusive. 

Yeah I thought Ghosts should’ve been set aside for sure. But they always announce things so early I guess they kinda promised they would be PS4 games.

Hopefully when they show off everything they announce a smart buy/delivery system too and announce next gen upgrades for both TLOU 2 and Ghosts.

38 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah I thought Ghosts should’ve been set aside for sure. But they always announce things so early I guess they kinda promised they would be PS4 games.

Hopefully when they show off everything they announce a smart buy/delivery system too and announce next gen upgrades for both TLOU 2 and Ghosts.

I feel like PS4 disc will just be popped into the system and you can just play them on the legacy system like they talked about a while ago. 

Digital purchases will be interesting to see if that carries forward because the PS3 to PS4 transition you had to rebuy those games. 

4 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

This would have been an absolute game changer. It's shocking to me they didn't do it. Game would've looked even better, ran at 60FPS and sold insanely, even if it was just a timed exclusive. I guess it would have cost too much money for Sony to nail that down, though, because there's no way they didn't at least think about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I'm sure the next entry in the FF7 remake series will come out at launch, and may sell even better and get more hype than the 1st entry, since the former had so much success. 

No way in hell part 2 comes out at launch... It's at least 2 years away and the PS5 launches this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

No way in hell part 2 comes out at launch... It's at least 2 years away and the PS5 launches this year.

Didn't realize it was coming out this Holiday season, yeah they messed up there, FF7 would have been tough to beat as a launch title. I think part II will be ready by 2021 Q4 since they already began working on it before part I's release and I'd imagine it'll be a much easier process as they've already laid down the foundation for gameplay, character design, etc. No KH distraction to slow Nomura down either as far as I know. 

31 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:
4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Didn't realize it was coming out this Holiday season, yeah they messed up there, FF7 would have been tough to beat as a launch title. I think part II will be ready by 2021 Q4 since they already began working on it before part I's release and I'd imagine it'll be a much easier process as they've already laid down the foundation for gameplay, character design, etc. No KH distraction to slow Nomura down either as far as I know. 

PS5 could get a version of it still before anyone else. It’s no longer exclusive as of April 2021. So they’d still have a window there.

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This is modern square enix my man.

Final Fantasy 15 took what 10+ years?

KH3 started development in 2013. 

FF7R has been teased as far back as 2005 as a demo for the PS3, well the intro cutscene anyway. Granted it didn't enter actual development until either 2014 or 2015. 

Assuming the second part is on the same scale as the first part we're looking at another 3-5 year dev cycle likely to be faster cause assets and engine are all built but the Virus is gonna hurt that a bit. I'd say 4 years minimum at least. 

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

This is modern square enix my man.

Final Fantasy 15 took what 10+ years?

KH3 started development in 2013. 

FF7R has been teased as far back as 2005 as a demo for the PS3, well the intro cutscene anyway. Granted it didn't enter actual development until either 2014 or 2015. 

Assuming the second part is on the same scale as the first part we're looking at another 3-5 year dev cycle likely to be faster cause assets and engine are all built but the Virus is gonna hurt that a bit. I'd say 4 years minimum at least. 

Dont You Put That Evil On Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Probably right, but I really hope the whole FF7 remake "franchise" has been story boarded and laid out, and maybe that's why it took so long to even enter development. In my dream world these get churned out every 1.5-2 years for the next 6 years or however many are planned. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Dont You Put That Evil On Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Probably right, but I really hope the whole FF7 remake "franchise" has been story boarded and laid out, and maybe that's why it took so long to even enter development. In my dream world these get churned out every 1.5-2 years for the next 6 years or however many are planned. 

Yeah, I think the first one was the most difficult. Character designs, combat, storyboarding, etc. take the most time. All of that should be more or less done for part two. I think the next game is three years max and honestly I'm expecting closer to 2.

• Like 1

They announced the new AC game will be running at 4k, 30FPS.

If you told anyone a few years ago that consoles would be running triple-A games at 4k, nobody would have believed you. So by that merit, this is pretty awesome. At the same time, I'd much rather be playing at 1440p, 60FPS. Really hope companies this gen wise-up and allow us to make little decisions like that.