Xbox Series X

showtime

23 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

They announced the new AC game will be running at 4k, 30FPS.

If you told anyone a few years ago that consoles would be running triple-A games at 4k, nobody would have believed you. So by that merit, this is pretty awesome. At the same time, I'd much rather be playing at 1440p, 60FPS. Really hope companies this gen wise-up and allow us to make little decisions like that.

Excuse my ignorance, but aren't games running at 4k at 30fps on the PS4 Pro already? 

Edited by JBURGE

40 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Excuse my ignorance, but aren't games running at 4k at 30fps on the PS4 Pro already? 

It's somewhat difficult to give you a straightforward answer. In short, yes.

4k is just a resolution. In theory, you could run 4k on any piece of hardware. If I wanted to, I could absolutely butcher the texture quality of a game, remove all special effects and processing (things like AA, ambient occlusion, etc.) boot it up on my PS3/360 and then say my game is running at 4k and it would be completely, undeniably accurate. Many games that advertise 4k on console effectively do this. On top of that, a lot of games use the technique of rendering it at a lower resolution and then up-scaling it to 4k (you'll be lucky to see a small difference in advertising with 4k vs native 4k) or even advertising as 4k and then using dynamic resolution where it lowers in real time during high intensity moments. None of these are inherently wrong and therefore you have to say yes, they are running games at 4k. But it would be disingenuous, IMO, to ignore the compromises that have been made there.

I guess more to the point: Yes, some games advertise as running at 4k on the Xbox/PS4. However, these games utilize a number of techniques to reach this resolution. Some substantially lower other graphical settings, some are older or games that aren't demanding to begin with, many are up-scaled or use dynamic resolutions.

I know it sounds pedantic, but seriously, go play a triple-A PC game at 4k (or even 1440p) with all of the settings on ultra/max. Then go play that same game on console. The difference feels night and day. I'm confident with these new consoles, though, we'll finally get something resembling the quality, or even surpassing for many people, of PC games.

edit: Here's a link to PS4-Pro games and their resolutions https://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

4k is just a resolution. In theory, you could run 4k on any piece of hardware. If I wanted to, I could absolutely butcher the texture quality of a game, remove all special effects and processing (things like AA, ambient occlusion, etc.) boot it up on my PS3/360 and then say my game is running at 4k and it would be completely, undeniably accurate. Many games that advertise 4k on console effectively do this. On top of that, a lot of games use the technique of rendering it at a lower resolution and then up-scaling it to 4k (you'll be lucky to see a small difference in advertising with 4k vs native 4k) or even advertising as 4k and then using dynamic resolution where it lowers in real time during high intensity moments. None of these are inherently wrong and therefore you have to say yes, they are running games at 4k. But it would be disingenuous, IMO, to ignore the compromises that have been made there.

I guess more to the point: Yes, some games advertise as running at 4k on the Xbox/PS4. However, these games utilize a number of techniques to reach this resolution. Some substantially lower other graphical settings, some are older or games that aren't demanding to begin with, many are up-scaled or use dynamic resolutions.

I know it sounds pedantic, but seriously, go play a triple-A PC game at 4k (or even 1440p) with all of the settings on ultra/max. Then go play that same game on console. The difference feels night and day. I'm confident with these new consoles, though, we'll finally get something resembling the quality, or even surpassing for many people, of PC games.

edit: Here's a link to PS4-Pro games and their resolutions https://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

Great answer. As you had said, I would much prefer 1440 at 60fps. I jut got a PC last month and honestly I don't care much about graphics, but I love how much smoother gameplay is

2 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

They announced the new AC game will be running at 4k, 30FPS.

If you told anyone a few years ago that consoles would be running triple-A games at 4k, nobody would have believed you. So by that merit, this is pretty awesome. At the same time, I'd much rather be playing at 1440p, 60FPS. Really hope companies this gen wise-up and allow us to make little decisions like that.

30 fps is a massive failure. Borderlands 3 is at 30 fps and it is basically unplayable for me.

It doesn't make any sense to me why someone would choose 4k over 60 fps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

30 fps is a massive failure. Borderlands 3 is at 30 fps and it is basically unplayable for me.

yeah I don't get it, unless the on screen assets and effects are so much that they are taxing the system....it shouldn't be a problem. ANd none of them should be yet fpr a cross gen game.
Kinda a bad look for Ubisoft if it ends up being the case. The wording last I saw seemed like they just aren't committing to it being 60 yet. But not gonna hold my breath to it changing.

5 hours ago, JBURGE said:

It's technically 4k.

It's upscaled from like 1440p if I remember correctly so it's not true 4k.

Depends on the game honestly but generally most PS4 Pro games do not run at 4k.

Xbox one X games, again depends but a decent chunk do. 

4 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

.....Bruh making my post look like ****. 

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Graphics and good looking games has always been a bigger thing than FPS. 

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

yeah I don't get it, unless the on screen assets and effects are so much that they are taxing the system....it shouldn't be a problem. ANd none of them should be yet fpr a cross gen game.
Kinda a bad look for Ubisoft if it ends up being the case. The wording last I saw seemed like they just aren't committing to it being 60 yet. But not gonna hold my breath to it changing.

This is ubisoft, they learned their lesson with Watchdogs 1 and aren't gonna announce something until it's 100%. 

Or they'll do it anyway cause UBisoft. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

finally have the date for Xbox’s big show.

Can't wait for Forza, Gears spinoff, Forza again, no halo and a reboot of an old microsoft IP no one wanted and that's it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

Can't wait for Forza, Gears spinoff, Forza again, no halo and a reboot of an old microsoft IP no one wanted and that's it. 

Like I kid but it's fricking microsoft they just bought studios roughly 2 years ago and they're just barely in the development phase for AAA games.

Expect the classics and maybe teases no actual big games coming at launch unless they paid for a couple exclusives like last gen. 

Just now, SwoleXmad said:

They really need to get some new exclusives to compete with Sony's flagship titles.     XBox has some advantages over Playstation, but until it can compete there, I feel like they are at a severe disadvantage.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

They really need to get some new exclusives to compete with Sony's flagship titles.     XBox has some advantages over Playstation, but until it can compete there, I feel like they are at a severe disadvantage.  

Such a fall from grace since the 360. Halo at its peak and Xbox Live, I miss those times. Nothing I've seen at this point has convinced me at all to get a Series X over a PS5

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Rumors are The Initiative (a studio MS built from the ground up from former God of War and Uncharted developers) is working on a new Perfect Dark game. It's certainly something to look out for. Playground Games is working on a new Fable game. Outside of those and Halo. We are in the dark.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Such a fall from grace since the 360. Halo at its peak and Xbox Live, I miss those times. Nothing I've seen at this point has convinced me at all to get a Series X over a PS5

Does price matter to you? Series S is going to be the least expensive next gen console out there whenever they choose to reveal it.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:
12 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Does price matter to you? Series S is going to be the least expensive next gen console out there whenever they choose to reveal it.

It doesn't, no. I would pay $100 more if needed. Once I'm paying $500 I don't mind paying an extra $100 for a 3-4 year investment (until the pro version)

I just played Horizon Zero Dawn, little late to that one, but it was one of the best games I've played in a few years. I won't be waiting until the sequel comes to PC

Edited by JBURGE

24 minutes ago, Danger said:

Rumors are The Initiative (a studio MS built from the ground up from former God of War and Uncharted developers) is working on a new Perfect Dark game. It's certainly something to look out for. Playground Games is working on a new Fable game. Outside of those and Halo. We are in the dark.

Yeah they have a ton of games coming. 

Halo Infinite

Hellblade II + the other projects Ninja Theory is working on.

The Initiative’s game, which seems like it’ll be a big 3rd person action game. Tomb Raider reboot devs along with God of War and Uncharted.

yeah that Playground game that totally is Fable. Next Horizons will probably be out next year from their main Forza studio.

Rare, Obsidian and inXile all have “AAA” rpgs in the works. More likely none get shown here than all 3.

Turn 10 will have a Forza Motorsport this year.

The other studios are probably further out. Like Double Fine will be launching Psychonauts 2 this year (multi-plat). We maybe hear from one of their other teams next year.

Coalition will probably be in the dark for a year or two after Gears came out last year. Hopefully they let them work on something new like Sony has. Gears could use some time on the shelf.

Compulsion is a smaller team so doubt they are ready to show off anything. Also doubt Undead Labs is ready to show anything.

Rumors they bought more studios. Most concrete ones point to a polish studio. Most likely would be Bloober (who’s making that exclusive horror game The Medium). Others would be Techland, and the very unlikely CD Projekt Red (can’t see them wanting to be bought). There are also a smaller amount of rumors of a Japanese studio being built, which is easier than buying one I guess.

I doubt they’d get a deal done in time to buy the WB game studios for this. They’ve been rumored to be interested – along with EA, Activision, Take two, Google and Amazon. Any deal there would likely be packaged with like a ten year exclusive to WB IP to make it worth the money. Which would be like Batman/DC, Harry Potter, LOTR and others. Gaming IP like Mortal Kombat would exchange hands. All the old Midway IP too. If they would buy them before the August DC event, they could technically be exclusives. Because you’d be buying the publisher and none have been officially announced yet. I think Microsoft would be interested so they can keep feeding Gamepass but also to hedge out Amazon and Google, who are both their competitors in the cloud gaming sphere. Don’t want them getting a whole studio system prebuilt for them to make exclusives. Those are also the companies (with Apple too) who could make a Gamepass competitor.

Whoever buys them won’t keep all the studios active most likely. You could see them be absorbed into other studios or just shut down. Like Monolith could become an action rpg team within 343, they are like a 15 minute drive apart. Compulsion could be kind of folded into the bigger WB Montréal. The multi-team approach seems to be the way studios are going, have to lay off way less people that way. But Rocksteady, NetherRealm, Monolith, TT Games, WB Montréal are all solid to great studios. I’d assume TT games would still get to do all the LEGO games and be multiplat like they did with Minecraft.

• Like 2