Xbox Series X

showtime

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Such a fall from grace since the 360. Halo at its peak and Xbox Live, I miss those times. Nothing I've seen at this point has convinced me at all to get a Series X over a PS5

Yeah, though I don’t think either has really shown enough yet to make people have to buy them this year.

Didn't think Sony’s show had enough. Like a remake of Demon Souls, a Horizon sequel that’s at least 18+ months away and a small Spider-Man expansion didn’t really scream “you need to get this year one” to me. 
 Xbox has been silent since their lackluster mini May event. Which also had a couple interesting games, but nothing you’re going to buy a console for. Will have to see how this event stacks up to Sony’s.

On the tech side Xbox seems to have made the better product from a numbers standpoint and is in position to be aggressive on price. But they need to have the games. They’ll have a lot more exclusives the first 2, 3 years, just where developer timelines line up. So they have a shot at changing the narrative.

Right now I want to see how good Halo Infinite looks. And just how much they cut to let people play it on current gen. Cross gen has always been a mixed bag. Cause playing Halo, AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk the best way I can (without spending a ton to build a comprable PC) sounds appealing. But I want to know just how much better they’ll be. That plus a really good 2021 into 2022 planned and I might as well get it now.

38 minutes ago, Kiltman said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Such a fall from grace since the 360. Halo at its peak and Xbox Live, I miss those times. Nothing I've seen at this point has convinced me at all to get a Series X over a PS5

Yeah, though I don’t think either has really shown enough yet to make people have to buy them this year.

Didn't think Sony’s show had enough. Like a remake of Demon Souls, a Horizon sequel that’s at least 18+ months away and a small Spider-Man expansion didn’t really scream “you need to get this year one” to me. 
 Xbox has been silent since their lackluster mini May event. Which also had a couple interesting games, but nothing you’re going to buy a console for. Will have to see how this event stacks up to Sony’s.

On the tech side Xbox seems to have made the better product from a numbers standpoint and is in position to be aggressive on price. But they need to have the games. They’ll have a lot more exclusives the first 2, 3 years, just where developer timelines line up. So they have a shot at changing the narrative.

Right now I want to see how good Halo Infinite looks. And just how much they cut to let people play it on current gen. Cross gen has always been a mixed bag. Cause playing Halo, AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk the best way I can (without spending a ton to build a comprable PC) sounds appealing. But I want to know just how much better they’ll be. That plus a really good 2021 into 2022 planned and I might as well get it now.

Not going to disagree with this, I am not a Sony fanboy, but I think the devs response to the PS5's SDD has been pretty telling. It seems everyone knows that the Xbox has more processing power, but the SDD seems to be the most exciting change from what I've read. I am not a guy that cares a ton about graphics, I am more excited to see how the new SSD's (on both consoles) changes game and level design. Open worlds will work much better, no more elevators and loading screens etc. 

Anyway, I agree with you about year 1. If I get it year 1 it will be solely because all of the games I want this year will give a free upgrade to PS5. If all of them don't, I just won't get it, and will wait for Horizon Forbidden West which is expected in 2021. Same with Cyberpunk, I think they expect the next gen port to be 2021, maybe 2022 at this point if they keep delaying. I will get it for PS4 and then get the free upgrade to PS5... I can't wait another year to play it lol however at this rate it might come out in a year anyway

31 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Not going to disagree with this, I am not a Sony fanboy, but I think the devs response to the PS5's SDD has been pretty telling. It seems everyone knows that the Xbox has more processing power, but the SDD seems to be the most exciting change from what I've read. I am not a guy that cares a ton about graphics, I am more excited to see how the new SSD's (on both consoles) changes game and level design. Open worlds will work much better, no more elevators and loading screens etc. 

Anyway, I agree with you about year 1. If I get it year 1 it will be solely because all of the games I want this year will give a free upgrade to PS5. If all of them don't, I just won't get it, and will wait for Horizon Forbidden West which is expected in 2021. Same with Cyberpunk, I think they expect the next gen port to be 2021, maybe 2022 at this point if they keep delaying. I will get it for PS4 and then get the free upgrade to PS5... I can't wait another year to play it lol however at this rate it might come out in a year anyway

Yeah the SSD seems like it's going to be one of the biggest leaps. I'm glad both of them came to that conclusion. 
I don't care about resolution much. Like I have a 4k tv but fps is more important to me. I'd rather them do 2k with buttery smooth fps than anything.
I want to see deeper dives from the console makers and 3rd party on some of this stuff. Like we know ps5 has a bit of an edge on SSD speed, and xbox has more raw power and thats about it. They both have new 3d audio processing and I believe dedicated raytracing processors. There are claims about Xbox's structure/architecture is actually a multiplier for loading assets, but I'll wait until independent people go in depth on that...could be just talk.

I try not to be a fanboy too, it's so dumb. Like especially now as a person nearing 30, I can afford to own both + switch.
I'll try and save money where I can still, but it's nice not to have to validate whatever console your parents bought you anymore haha.
Right now my plan is to get Series X, I already have gamepass through 2022. So that'll save me a lot of money on new releases. Then I'll buy ps5 when the next God of War comes out, I love the last one. And I'll have a bit of a back catalog I can buy on sale. Thats how I've done the last two gens and it's worked well. Think it makes more sense this gen with Xbox releasing more games 2020-2022 and all of them launching on gamepass. Like I'm not saving anything waiting like I would on PS5.

I hope sony does the right thing and upgrades games for free. I'm hoping they stop pissing around with back compat too.
Being able to bring my back catalog of OG Xbox - 360 - Xbox One games to Series X and getting the upgrades for free does factor in to just upgrading early. Especially with the tech they are putting in it to make those games better without developers doing anything. Like higher frame rates, more fidelity, ai based HDR.

The Series X version and likely the PS5 version of Cyberpunk supposedly will have some upgrades this fall compared to the previous gen.
I assume they would be the Ultra settings version, have the upgraded lighting and textures. 4k/60 fps, zero loading like the demos have shown.
But yeah, the version specifically for next gen that we probably aren't getting until late 2021-2022 at this point. 
Those upgrades will be awesome though....like much higher fidelity particle effects (fog, dust and sand outside the city), specific lighting and audio. L
Neon lights really bouncing through the world, deeper AI for the citizens and even more going on in the city. + other upgrades. I can't wait to do my 3rd playthrough like that.

• Like 1

The issue with the Series X is that all of Microsoft's exclusives will be on Xbox One and PC.  That's great for the consumer and population of the games because more people will be playing, but the downside to that is there might be less people willing to upgrade to the Series X.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah the SSD seems like it's going to be one of the biggest leaps. I'm glad both of them came to that conclusion. 
I don't care about resolution much. Like I have a 4k tv but fps is more important to me. I'd rather them do 2k with buttery smooth fps than anything.
I want to see deeper dives from the console makers and 3rd party on some of this stuff. Like we know ps5 has a bit of an edge on SSD speed, and xbox has more raw power and thats about it. They both have new 3d audio processing and I believe dedicated raytracing processors. There are claims about Xbox's structure/architecture is actually a multiplier for loading assets, but I'll wait until independent people go in depth on that...could be just talk.

I try not to be a fanboy too, it's so dumb. Like especially now as a person nearing 30, I can afford to own both + switch.
I'll try and save money where I can still, but it's nice not to have to validate whatever console your parents bought you anymore haha.
Right now my plan is to get Series X, I already have gamepass through 2022. So that'll save me a lot of money on new releases. Then I'll buy ps5 when the next God of War comes out, I love the last one. And I'll have a bit of a back catalog I can buy on sale. Thats how I've done the last two gens and it's worked well. Think it makes more sense this gen with Xbox releasing more games 2020-2022 and all of them launching on gamepass. Like I'm not saving anything waiting like I would on PS5.

I hope sony does the right thing and upgrades games for free. I'm hoping they stop pissing around with back compat too.
Being able to bring my back catalog of OG Xbox - 360 - Xbox One games to Series X and getting the upgrades for free does factor in to just upgrading early. Especially with the tech they are putting in it to make those games better without developers doing anything. Like higher frame rates, more fidelity, ai based HDR.

The Series X version and likely the PS5 version of Cyberpunk supposedly will have some upgrades this fall compared to the previous gen.
I assume they would be the Ultra settings version, have the upgraded lighting and textures. 4k/60 fps, zero loading like the demos have shown.
But yeah, the version specifically for next gen that we probably aren't getting until late 2021-2022 at this point. 
Those upgrades will be awesome though....like much higher fidelity particle effects (fog, dust and sand outside the city), specific lighting and audio. L
Neon lights really bouncing through the world, deeper AI for the citizens and even more going on in the city. + other upgrades. I can't wait to do my 3rd playthrough like that.

Agree with all of what you said. I got a PC this year, so that's another reason I won't be getting the Series X. Considering you have Gamepass for 2 more years, it makes all the sense in the world to go xbox. They did a crazy thing with that upgrade from Gold to Gamepass for $1. I just got Gamepass for PC for $1 the first month, but after checking through all of the games, I already cancelled the auto-renewal at $5.99 a month. Do we know if Halo Infinite is coming to PC at launch, or is it going to be delayed on PC? 

I am really just going to PS5 for the exclusives. God of War and Horizon are enough for me.... TLOU is now probably 5-7 years from another game at this point so ignore that, and I haven't played any of the Uncharted games, so I don't know if they will make any more of those. 

We'll have to see on Cyberpunk. Hopefully I like it enough that I will go back 2 years later and play it again on next gen

20 minutes ago, showtime said:

The issue with the Series X is that all of Microsoft's exclusives will be on Xbox One and PC.  That's great for the consumer and population of the games because more people will be playing, but the downside to that is there might be less people willing to upgrade to the Series X.

Honestly I think the only reason people will jump ship from PS4 to Series X would be if Sony says they aren't doing free game upgrades, AND Series X is cheaper as rumoured. That would be insanely stupid for Sony to do

14 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Honestly I think the only reason people will jump ship from PS4 to Series X would be if Sony says they aren't doing free game upgrades, AND Series X is cheaper as rumoured. That would be insanely stupid for Sony to do

From what I understood, Sony is doing free upgrades just like Microsoft is doing.  Avengers and Madden are offering free upgrades from PS4 to PS5.  One thing about Sony's approach is that they don't have to offer upgrades for exclusives since all of their exclusives will be on PS5 only, like Miles Morales for example.

Also, for all you console only players.  The SSD will change your life.  I play on PC mostly these days and it's insane.  Games load within 1-2 seconds, boot up immediately, etc.  One of the devs for NBA 2K said that 2K21 on next gen consoles will load in two seconds.  If anyone here plays 2K, you know how long and annoying those loading screens constantly are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Agree with all of what you said. I got a PC this year, so that's another reason I won't be getting the Series X. Considering you have Gamepass for 2 more years, it makes all the sense in the world to go xbox. They did a crazy thing with that upgrade from Gold to Gamepass for $1. I just got Gamepass for PC for $1 the first month, but after checking through all of the games, I already cancelled the auto-renewal at $5.99 a month. Do we know if Halo Infinite is coming to PC at launch, or is it going to be delayed on PC? 

I am really just going to PS5 for the exclusives. God of War and Horizon are enough for me.... TLOU is now probably 5-7 years from another game at this point so ignore that, and I haven't played any of the Uncharted games, so I don't know if they will make any more of those. 

We'll have to see on Cyberpunk. Hopefully I like it enough that I will go back 2 years later and play it again on next gen

Yeah that's how I got it ha, was a crazy deal. I'm not sure about the Halo Infinite on PC thing.

I need to upgrade my computer soon, could feasibly get it to a place on the par with the series x specs.
I think I'd be in the minority that would have a PC with that kinda power for a couple years.
Probably just going to upgrade my internal hard drive to an SSD finally. and call it a day.

52 minutes ago, showtime said:

The same will be true of PS5 of in a couple of years. 

That aside. Microsoft doesn't care what platform you choose to play their games on. They don't make money off of the hardware, but selling you the software.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:
19 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

From what I understood, Sony is doing free upgrades just like Microsoft is doing.  Avengers and Madden are offering free upgrades from PS4 to PS5.  One thing about Sony's approach is that they don't have to offer upgrades for exclusives since all of their exclusives will be on PS5 only, like Miles Morales for example.

Both of those were developer decisions I believe. I think the most Sony has said about it is the free GTA upgrade for PS5 they paid for.
They haven't come out about their own games from what I recall. Like are they going to make people re-buy all the next gen upgrades they put out?
They need to be clear about it.

It's a bad look if one side says all your games carryover and any upgraded games will be given to you for free unless the developer opts out.
vs
Only select backward compatible titles will be available at launch and a few 3rd party titles have programs to upgrade.

I have to think Sony has a program for some games to be free upgrades, and will have backward compatibility of some kind.
They just need to stop being so elusive about it.
It would be incredibly dumb for them to make people abandon their PS4 library. They had unprecedented success last gen.
Would be odd to throw out one big reason a person would want to stay in ecosystem for the next generation.

42 minutes ago, showtime said:

Also, for all you console only players.  The SSD will change your life.  I play on PC mostly these days and it's insane.  Games load within 1-2 seconds, boot up immediately, etc.  One of the devs for NBA 2K said that 2K21 on next gen consoles will load in two seconds.  If anyone here plays 2K, you know how long and annoying those loading screens constantly are.

Here's the thing... I think there has been 1 large game that requires a SSD. It's some space game, idk what it is. So even PC players haven't really seen what a SSD can do for game design. Every game that comes out on console too have to be designed around HDDs. Will be really interesting to see how far they push the envelope. I don't even really care that much about changes to classic "loading screens"

8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Here's the thing... I think there has been 1 large game that requires a SSD. It's some space game, idk what it is. So even PC players haven't really seen what a SSD can do for game design. Every game that comes out on console too have to be designed around HDDs. Will be really interesting to see how far they push the envelope. I don't even really care that much about changes to classic "loading screens"

Everything works faster with a SSD.  For example, my old computer with a standard hard drive took several minutes to boot up, load windows and become useable.  With my current SSD, I can restart my computer and it boots up, loads Windows and becomes usable in about 6-7 seconds.  Apps like Discord, MS Teams, Steam, etc all load up and boot so much faster it's mind blowing.

I'm assuming it will be the same for the next gen consoles.  Apps will load faster, the stores will load faster, console will boot games, etc

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Everything works faster with a SSD.  For example, my old computer with a standard hard drive took several minutes to boot up, load windows and become useable.  With my current SSD, I can restart my computer and it boots up, loads Windows and becomes usable in about 6-7 seconds.  Apps like Discord, MS Teams, Steam, etc all load up and boot so much faster it's mind blowing.

I'm assuming it will be the same for the next gen consoles.  Apps will load faster, the stores will load faster, console will boot games, etc

Yes of course, I just got my first real PC a few month ago with a SSD, everything loads fast. What I am saying is that I don't really care about those effects the SSD will bring. Faster loads, faster boot times etc. I care more about what they will be able to do with gameplay with all of that in mind. Thinking we will be able to have epic Star Wars space battles with hundreds of ships, for example, because the SSD can load that many things at once in the game. 

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Yes of course, I just got my first real PC a few month ago with a SSD, everything loads fast. What I am saying is that I don't really care about those effects the SSD will bring. Faster loads, faster boot times etc. I care more about what they will be able to do with gameplay with all of that in mind. Thinking we will be able to have epic Star Wars space battles with hundreds of ships, for example, because the SSD can load that many things at once in the game. 

Ah, okay I see what you mean.  That makes sense.  Going to need that for Star Wars Squadrons.