Xbox Series X

showtime

5 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Only game that stole my attention was the new RPG from Obsidian, Avowed. That game looks incredibly good, however we need to see more. Forza look amazing visually, but we always know what we're getting there. A few other games looked interesting/cool, but not out of this world. The Fable trailer was great, but it was obviously CG and the actual game seems like it's still 2 years out at least; I'm not going to hold my breath there.

It seems like Microsoft still has no answer to the story driven games that Sony is putting out such as Horizon, which is by far the best looking game I think we've seen out of everything next gen.

I felt like this was supposed to be Microsofts biggest even of the last decade, the event that could put them ahead of Sony going into next gen. Instead, it just felt like a very normal, no urgency conference. Overall, disappointing for me personally.

I wish they showed a more narrative thing for Halo along with the "hey this is going non-linear open world" gameplay. 
Just want to see if the scope is as big as Halo tends to be or if they are trying to keep it more contained.

Wish they just had this and the show in a couple weeks as one thing like it was originally.
Avowed. Fable, Hellblade II scratched enough of an itch, But they definitely held some announcements back for later.
I really don't know what Everwild is, but doesn't seem like a big story driven RPG.
Similarly State of Decay is awesome for what it is...that trailer surprised me. Wonder if they are putting more story into it?

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I wish they showed a more narrative thing for Halo along with the "hey this is going non-linear open world" gameplay. 
Just want to see if the scope is as big as Halo tends to be or if they are trying to keep it more contained.

Wish they just had this and the show in a couple weeks as one thing like it was originally.
Avowed. Fable, Hellblade II scratched enough of an itch, But they definitely held some announcements back for later.
I really don't know what Everwild is, but doesn't seem like a big story driven RPG.
Similarly State of Decay is awesome for what it is...that trailer surprised me. Wonder if they are putting more story into it?

The State of Decay trailer was actually great, but I'm hesitant to get excited because of how clunky the previous games looked/felt. I have a feeling when game play comes around it'll look much different, but I hope I'm wrong.

28 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

As for the show I thought it was pretty good, especially once they told you the throughline was gamepass members are getting the whole show.

Hopefully we see what The Initiative's game is at next month's show, along with all the 3rd party marketing deal games that weren't here. 
Dropping that game, showing the upgrades Cyberpunk will have for next gen this fall (not the full Next gen version), and other multiplats + more stuff on the consoles and price should be a solid part 2.

Is there a part 2 to this? If they have a few more games up their sleeve, that would be a huge deal. I actually forgot about Hell Blade 2 as well, which is one of my most anticipated games.

Edited by elevators_rule

1 minute ago, elevators_rule said:

The State of Decay trailer was actually great, but I'm hesitant to get excited because of how clunky the previous games looked/felt. I have a feeling when game play comes around it'll look much different, but I hope I'm wrong.

yeah the core to State of Decay is great, hesitant too. I'm down to play it regardless. But if it does take a step from really good AA to a full fledged AAA type game that'd be really interesting. There's always been a slight jankiness to them but it's a great idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

Is there a part 2 to this? If they have a few more games up their sleeve, that would be a huge deal.

Yep, the only confirmed thing is that's where they are talking about hardware and services.
Should be price, and more tech. Along with the cheaper Lockhart console reveal. Rumors about them dropping gold (folding it into gamepass) would also be announced there. 
Any acquisitions would be there too. The rumors are they bought a polish studio and maybe started a japanese one. I doubt a deal will get done in time if they are buying WB interactive.

Unknown how many games will be there, but speculation has been they held some stuff out to show there once Sony said they'd have an event after this Xbox show.
With none of the 3rd party games they are marketing here, it makes sense they'd show them there. Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs, (potentially Far Cry 6), Elden Ring...and maybe some of the WB games. I'm tempering expectations to less than more.
But even if it was just "Here's is what The Initiative is doing", The Coalition is making Perfect Dark, the other small 1st party games that weren't announced + Elden Ring, Next Gen version of Cyberpunk, and Batman, Suicide Squad or Harry Potter...that's a solid second show. Especially if they drop a great price.

Next 4 years for xbox that wasn't shown today.
The Initiative - whatever their "AAAA" action narrative game is
The Coalition - Could be Gears but I personally think they'll do something else before that. Think they are making the Perfect Dark reboot. Gears Tactics was weirdly missing.
Compulsion - smaller team, the graphic today said they will announce their game this year.
Double Fine - Psychonauts is in the polishing stage and they are a multi-team group, so they should have something else out sooner.
InXile - One team is launching Wasteland 3, the other is making a "AAA rpg using Unreal 5". Won't hear about that for awhile.
Ninja Theory - Have other teams making stuff besides Hellblade II.
Playground - The original team will make another Forza Horizons
Rare - They have a bunch of teams making stuff. None of it seems huge though.
+ another second party deals or acquisitions.

On the other side I'm guess Sony announces their price and launch date. Call of Duty gameplay if it gets announced before then, and any other marketing deals.
Plus they could tease Spiderman 2, maybe gameplay of Horizon 2, and a tease for something further out like God of War.

I thought the Halo showing was mediocre at best.  I like the direction they went because it looks more like older Halo games, which is a good thing.  However, the graphics weren't that impressive and there was pop in.  Apparently, that has to do with the game engine and the fact that this game is being made for hardware that is so outdated right now (Xbox One) is really showing why this is suffering.  There are ways to remove pop-in from happening, but the Xbox One, from eight years ago, can't run that program/software. 

When a game like Halo Infinite and Spider-Man Miles Morales releases this fall, you're going to see a pretty substantial difference.

With all that said, I'm going to play Halo Infinite on PC through Game Pass when it releases.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I thought the Halo showing was mediocre at best.  I like the direction they went because it looks more like older Halo games, which is a good thing.  However, the graphics weren't that impressive and there was pop in.  Apparently, that has to do with the game engine and the fact that this game is being made for hardware that is so outdated right now (Xbox One) is really showing why this is suffering.  There are ways to remove pop-in from happening, but the Xbox One, from eight years ago, can't run that program/software. 

When a game like Halo Infinite and Spider-Man Miles Morales releases this fall, you're going to see a pretty substantial difference.

With all that said, I'm going to play Halo Infinite on PC through Game Pass when it releases.

Yeah graphically it was some odd choices, it almost looked unfinished in spots. I just watched the 4K/60 version of the gameplay and feel a little better about it. Don’t get that pop in or the character models though.

Overall I like the direction they are going, but I hope they address that. Game is like 3.5-4 months away. And been in development for 5 years. Should be ready to shine here.

Seems like some of the rumors about them totally starting over or that they might not really finish the whole game in time could be true. Like ray tracing is coming as a day one patch, stuff like that.

16 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah graphically it was some odd choices, it almost looked unfinished in spots. I just watched the 4K/60 version of the gameplay and feel a little better about it. Don’t get that pop in or the character models though.

Overall I like the direction they are going, but I hope they address that. Game is like 3.5-4 months away. And been in development for 5 years. Should be ready to shine here.

Seems like some of the rumors about them totally starting over or that they might not really finish the whole game in time could be true. Like ray tracing is coming as a day one patch, stuff like that.

Both can be explained by the game is going to playable on the original Xbox one and the engine has to incorporate lower detailed models and pop in for the old HDD those things are still running. Xbox Series X version should in theory be a lot better though. who the heck knows with 343 tho.

20 hours ago, Xmad said:

Both can be explained by the game is going to playable on the original Xbox one and the engine has to incorporate lower detailed models and pop in for the old HDD those things are still running. Xbox Series X version should in theory be a lot better though. who the heck knows with 343 tho.

Yeah, reports are some stuff like ray-tracing is coming at launch. Apparently they rebooted the game development after Halo 5 was so poorly received. It was primarily developed for Xbox One, probably was supposed to be out in November last year or hell even maybe 2018 if they were looking for a quick turnaround having had the story for 6 already written and the engine tech in place fro 5.

It’s a bit puzzling what is up there, but it does look like fun and I enjoyed the new direction they took it. Halo has always been a fantastic sandbox to play in, making it open world and somewhat non linear will let us really enjoy that way more in the single player. Like I already love the idea of having Halo there to boot up and just drive around and get into stuff like people do in GTA. One thing that would make that even more fun is I hope they bring assassinations back, if I can sneak up on an outpost and kill a few grunts, or others silently with a knife or a cracked neck – I’d love it.

Yeah, them designing it originally for the Xbox One makes a lot of sense. It definitely looks dated. With that being said, I'm still sure the game play will be fun. My only problem is that Microsoft has been really leaning on this game as their system seller. All the hype leading up to this event and advertising was about seeing the first look at Halo Infinite. When you're selling a console and your systems selling point over it's competitor is power, the flagship title better look great. Halo doesn't fit that mold at all.

I wish they showed more of the games that look spectacular like Hell Blade or Avowed. I guess they're not far enough in development, though. I'm eager to see what Microsoft shows in the next few months, but I think Sonys lineup of games is still superior as of now.

12 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah, reports are some stuff like ray-tracing is coming at launch. Apparently they rebooted the game development after Halo 5 was so poorly received. It was primarily developed for Xbox One, probably was supposed to be out in November last year or hell even maybe 2018 if they were looking for a quick turnaround having had the story for 6 already written and the engine tech in place fro 5.

It’s a bit puzzling what is up there, but it does look like fun and I enjoyed the new direction they took it. Halo has always been a fantastic sandbox to play in, making it open world and somewhat non linear will let us really enjoy that way more in the single player. Like I already love the idea of having Halo there to boot up and just drive around and get into stuff like people do in GTA. One thing that would make that even more fun is I hope they bring assassinations back, if I can sneak up on an outpost and kill a few grunts, or others silently with a knife or a cracked neck – I’d love it.

What really bugs me is apparently want to make this the only game for the next decade and make this a "games as a service" type game. I'd guess they go the Destiny route which like not terrible but like.......maybe no.

Microsoft talks a good game but their actual showings for this gen are leaving me 50-50. But owning a bunch of promising studios is a lot better than last gen assuming half the games don't cancelled like last gen lol.

• Like 1