Xbox Series X

showtime

5 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Why the hell would anyone buy the series S? It's less powerful than a PS4 pro, next gen games are probably going to run like crap on it. 

It has pretty much all the same guts, it's just built to hit 1440p instead of 4k.
Load times, FPS, all the next gen stuff will be there like the other consoles, just renders at a lower res.
Which most people are still on 1080 TVs, so 1440p will look pretty crisp. And using AI to scale to 4K will look fine for all but the hardcore tech lovers if people do have a 4k screen..

19 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

On the back of the TV I see 50/60 Hz

If I don't update my TV is it pointless to update my XBOX at the moment? Especially since all I really want is Halo. EDIT: I'll most likely be getting Destiny 2 and AC Valhalla though.

Most games will probably be 60 fps, so you'll be fine for a bit. Both Destiny and Valhalla will be 4k 60fps on the Series X.

120 hz+ is worthy future proofing, but not a ton of games are going to bother with 120 FPS. I think Gears is being updated to it, Ori is getting a new version that has it.
But most new bigger games will probably be 60 fps.

I do hope though that there is maybe a settings toggle for a performance mode, like I'll sacrifice bumping to like 2k with AI upres to always be at 120 fps for some games.

10 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Why the hell would anyone buy the series S? It's less powerful than a PS4 pro, next gen games are probably going to run like crap on it. 

It's not really less powerful. I don't have the technical know-how. But TFlops aren't 1:1 due to something with the architecture. Also consider it has an SSD and a faster CPU/GPU

3m 56s

50 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It has pretty much all the same guts, it's just built to hit 1440p instead of 4k.
Load times, FPS, all the next gen stuff will be there like the other consoles, just renders at a lower res.
Which most people are still on 1080 TVs, so 1440p will look pretty crisp. And using AI to scale to 4K will look fine for all but the hardcore tech lovers if people do have a 4k screen..

It'll still load faster yes but that GPU isn't remotely close to what's in the series X (or ps5), I sincerely doubt it'll be able to handle next gen games with ray tracing and and everything and stay consistent in performance even at the lower resolutions without the games being toned down to lower settings like you would for a PC with a lower quality GPU.

Unlike last gen when Microsoft screwed up the Xbox One launch, those boys came to play this time. The pricing on both consoles is great.  A lot of people predicted the Series X would be $499, but there was a lot of fear it might actually be more expensive than that, so it's good they didn't do that.  The $299 console is absurd and I think will be popular this holiday season.

Game pass including EA play is also massive.  Game pass continues to be the best service in all of gaming.

5 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Also the whole "most people don't have 4k tvs" thing is really overstated, in 2015 one third of all U.S households had 4K tvs, 5 years of price reduction later I think it's pretty safe to assume that number has likely skyrocketed which is evidenced by the sales numbers of 4K tvs.

I know I myself don't personally know anyone that doesn't have one.

Yeah, that's facts.  4K TVs are so cheap these days and go on sale constantly.  They're affordable for pretty much anyone.

37 minutes ago, showtime said:

43 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Also the whole "most people don't have 4k tvs" thing is really overstated, in 2015 one third of all U.S households had 4K tvs, 5 years of price reduction later I think it's pretty safe to assume that number has likely skyrocketed which is evidenced by the sales numbers of 4K tvs.

I know I myself don't personally know anyone that doesn't have one.

Yeah, that's facts.  4K TVs are so cheap these days and go on sale constantly.  They're affordable for pretty much anyone.

They are affordable and the cross section numbers with gamers are assuredly higher than the 33% adoption rate people have put out there in the US. Though I don’t think people are going to go out this year and buy both a 4k tv and a Series X or PS5... though maybe some people didn’t get hit so hard.

I think the larger point will be the % of people who will find it being 4k upscaled as a non-starter are probably lower than what we here might think. I have to hope people are better but being in retail two gens ago made me realize the large silent portion that really is out there that’s buying this stuff. “Does it play this game?” and price were always to two things they needed to have answered. Series S will be able to play all the games and will be at like $150 less or maybe more. So it will probably be popular.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Unlike last gen when Microsoft screwed up the Xbox One launch, those boys came to play this time. The pricing on both consoles is great.  A lot of people predicted the Series X would be $499, but there was a lot of fear it might actually be more expensive than that, so it's good they didn't do that.  The $299 console is absurd and I think will be popular this holiday season.

Game pass including EA play is also massive.  Game pass continues to be the best service in all of gaming.

I have no idea what Game pass is. Granted, I skipped the xbox this gen.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

It’s really cool to see all three platforms finding their lane and hitting their stride at the same time (Sony have been there this whole past gen, has been the last couple years for the other two.)

It’s an interesting strategy by Xbox to basically have an entry point for any level of consumer.

25 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I have no idea what Game pass is. Granted, I skipped the xbox this gen.

It’s billed as like the “Netflix of games” to put it simply.

Basics are

• $9.99 for base level, $15 for Gamepass Ultimate 
  • Gets you access to 100-200 games, it varies as they add and take off games. All first party titles launch day 1. As do some 3rd party titles, like the new Destiny expansion and certain launch titles. 
  • Discounts on games

Ultimate includes more features like

• Xbox Live Gold included, as is Gamepass for PC
  • xCloud, their game streaming service starting later this month.
  • EA Play (formerly EA Access) will be included later this year. So you’ll get all the EA games at some point.
  • A few smaller perks.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Danger said:

It's not really less powerful. I don't have the technical know-how. But TFlops aren't 1:1 due to something with the architecture. Also consider it has an SSD and a faster CPU/GPU

The TFlops is definitely a good distinction to make, as well as the upgraded SSD.

Another big thing people neglect to mention is how both the Xbox One and PS4 were heavily bottlenecked by their CPUs. Even if the GPU for the S is worse (it's not), it'll still run games better than both the X1 and Pro because of it's high end CPU.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

It’s billed as like the “Netflix of games” to put it simply.

Basics are

• $9.99 for base level, $15 for Gamepass Ultimate 
  • Gets you access to 100-200 games, it varies as they add and take off games. All first party titles launch day 1. As do some 3rd party titles, like the new Destiny expansion and certain launch titles. 
  • Discounts on games

Ultimate includes more features like

• Xbox Live Gold included, as is Gamepass for PC
  • xCloud, their game streaming service starting later this month.
  • EA Play (formerly EA Access) will be included later this year. So you’ll get all the EA games at some point.
  • A few smaller perks.

So $15 a month and you get Gold plus whatever games are available? Damn that sounds pretty sweet considering there are a bunch of games I want to play but would never buy.

20 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

So $15 a month and you get Gold plus whatever games are available? Damn that sounds pretty sweet considering there are a bunch of games I want to play but would never buy.

Yep, it’ll be better when these internal teams start putting out their AAA games, which will start next year after Halo got pushed back. But there usually a pretty good offering, lots of solid games people might not buy on their own. Like Carrion was a really fun Metroidvania that launched onto it like 6 weeks ago. A ton got added recently. Looking at it now I didn’t know Dishonored 2 was on there, heard that was good. It’s fun to try new games with no real added cost.

36 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yep, it’ll be better when these internal teams start putting out their AAA games, which will start next year after Halo got pushed back. But there usually a pretty good offering, lots of solid games people might not buy on their own. Like Carrion was a really fun Metroidvania that launched onto it like 6 weeks ago. A ton got added recently. Looking at it now I didn’t know Dishonored 2 was on there, heard that was good. It’s fun to try new games with no real added cost.

Do you download them or stream them?