Xbox Series X

showtime

38 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Do you download them or stream them?

Download, however later this month they are launching xCloud as a separate part of Gamepass Ultimate... which is essentially their Stadia like service, but they are pushing it more as like a secondary way to play for most people and not replacing console/pc gaming like Stadia was trying to do. Basically to play your games on your phone, tablet or other device while you are out or if you are away from home. So once that launches you could do either.

I think one way they might try to leverage the service is if you buy a game you can just play it right away while it downloads in the background, same with updates potentially (which would fix the issue of games like COD having like 100gb updates)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

The Series S isn't too much smaller than a PS4/XB1, the Series X is just a CHONKER. 

Volume wise, the PS5 is by far the biggest.

The Series S,  is the smallest Xbox console ever at (159.3 cubic inches). Smaller than the One S which comes in substantially bigger (64%) at 261 inches.

You're wrong here.

For comparison the PS5 is 709 inches, or roughly 4.5 times bigger than the One S by effective volume.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danger said:

Volume wise, the PS5 is by far the biggest.

The Series S,  is the smallest Xbox console ever at (159.3 cubic inches). Smaller than the One S which comes in substantially bigger (64%) at 261 inches.

You're wrong here.

For comparison the PS5 is 709 inches, or roughly 4.5 times bigger than the One S by effective volume.

Yeah, some of the pictures it's hard to really see the size because of the angles and lack of context to compare sizes.

Here's a picture of it compared to a Wii (very small):

EhkFk2hXYAUkcaX?format=jpg&name=large

And here's it sitting on top of a PS4:

EhkSKIrWsAIoMQG?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

Also, here's a site that allows you to compare the sizes of the PS5, PS4, Series S, X, One, etc. (just typing these out makes it so evident how bad they're naming convention is). The Series X is chunky, but the PS5 is a behemoth.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-vs-ps4-pro-vs-xbox-one-x-size-comparison?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wmexperts+(Windows+Central)

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

Xbox: LOOK AT THIS BIG CHONK.

Also Xbox: look at this tiny lad.

PS5: Only chonk.

Really curious about the engineering decisions behind these consoles.

I imagine the PS5 and Xbox are both huge because of the cooling required and because neither of them want to be loud (bigger form factor is better for cooling, requiring less fans or fans running at lower RPMs while still generating great air flow). I think Sony wanted to do what people were familiar with and give the PS5 a more familiar console shape. The sacrifice here, however, is that they needed to make it XXL in height to provide proper cooling in that shape.

On the other hand, Microsoft felt comfortable leaving behind the familiar console shape and decided to make it wider as opposed to taller. More boxy and like a PC in looks. The advantage here is that it probably fits better in most entertainment hubs and has a smaller size profile, the disadvantage is that it looks really unfamiliar and even "boring" to a lot of console fans.

Design-wise it's obviously subjective (I much prefer the Xbox in looks personally), but I think in terms of engineering/cooling both designs will work equally well. I guess we won't know until they're out or reviewers get their hands on them.

Edit: And the Series S is definitely much smaller because it's running a gutted GPU, producing much less heat.

Edited by elevators_rule

51 minutes ago, Danger said:

The names are ok, but just dull and boring. I wish they'd keep the project codenames.

Durango, Scorpio, Scarlett, etc.

Yeah, all of the project code names have been 10x better.

Honestly, Series X and Series S aren't that bad of names. The problem is that last generation having the Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X completely destroyed their naming convention. First of all, calling the base console the "Xbox One" is quite possibly one of the worst names imaginable. It's incredibly confusing because popular nomenclature in the tech world says it goes "product_name - version number." Obvious ones include iPhone 10, PS5, God of War 4, etc. etc. It's so basic and everyone understands it. But, for some reason, Microsoft decided to name their console, not using a number, but instead using the... word form... of a number???? Like, not Xbox 1, but Xbox One as in all in One entertainment device???????

Ahhhh, yes, because that's intuitive and everyone will immediately get that based on decades of industry familiarity. Then, as bad enough as that is, they decide to use weird letters after that to signify "slim" and "pro" as opposed to using "slim" and "pro"?????????? So now it's the Xbox One S and Xbox One X??? None of this is intuitive. People have to actively learn your naming convention and what it means. Sony, on the other hand, has the most straightforward system possible. Playstation # type. Playstation 5 digital. Everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about without even knowing what it is necessarily.

Even if Xbox just stuck with Xbox > Xbox 360 > Xbox One > Xbox Series X/S ---------- it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. I think those are OK. But them including the suffix "S" and "X" with the Xbox One completely ruined them IMO.

Didn't mean to type paragraphs about their naming convention. It's just soooooo bad though 😂😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah the One was so dumb. 

I get shifting to “Xbox Series ___” after they found their groove last gen with iterating. My question is what they’ll call further models this gen. Like will it be Xbox Series Z or Series Xx, or XL?

Xbox Series XXX