Xbox Series X

showtime

so i just bought an xbox one in like June bc 'rona.
I'm not super into gaming, mostly just play warzone with my buddies, but would the series S be worth buying? Is the upgrade going to be that much noticeable or would you just stick with the one x for now?

I paid like $249 for it so I'm kinda pissed that the S is only $50 more.

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I'm not super into gaming, mostly just play warzone with my buddies, but would the series S be worth buying? Is the upgrade going to be that much noticeable or would you just stick with the one x for now?

Yeah that's unfortunate timing because the Series S price is going to make selling yours pretty difficult. It will be a fair upgrade from what you have - I think Microsoft said the Series S will run 120fps so if you care about doing well in WZ, you will be at a big disadvantage on your current box once they open up cross generation play. If you plan on getting any more games, they will for the most part going to have free upgrades.

If you have no issues with what you currently have, I would say there is no rush... but a new console is going to run better, look better, and last you a lot longer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Unconfirmed trade in value at Gamestop

x5a0pb5hm8n51.jpg

So if you have an One X you’re only down $50.

I think the benefit of a Series S (or X) for you would be improved frame rates. I think there was talk of the next COD being 120 fps on next gen, not sure what Warzone will be.

Its also fully backwards compatible and player base, so the transition would be fairly seamless. There is upgraded audio and things like that too, but not sure if the Warzone team will take advantage. 

There is stuff like decreased load times, easier installs, higher fidelity (than the One S) and less pop in. Though not all are going to be as noticeable within online game like Warzone. But if you do an single player games it’ll be way better.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Unconfirmed trade in value at Gamestop

x5a0pb5hm8n51.jpg

So if you have an One X you’re only down $50.

I think the benefit of a Series S (or X) for you would be improved frame rates. I think there was talk of the next COD being 120 fps on next gen, not sure what Warzone will be.

Its also fully backwards compatible and player base, so the transition would be fairly seamless. There is upgraded audio and things like that too, but not sure if the Warzone team will take advantage. 

There is stuff like decreased load times, easier installs, higher fidelity (than the One S) and less pop in. Though not all are going to be as noticeable within online game like Warzone. But if you do an single player games it’ll be way better.

Wow that's a no brainer.

I called my local GS and mentioned this. He said the promo would be until they run out of pre-orders, which he assumes will be the 22nd.

So theoretically, I could put down the $50 for the pre-order before the 22nd and then the day before launch trade it in and get the S the next day?

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Wow that's a no brainer.

I called my local GS and mentioned this. He said the promo would be until they run out of pre-orders, which he assumes will be the 22nd.

So theoretically, I could put down the $50 for the pre-order before the 22nd and then the day before launch trade it in and get the S the next day?

Not positive but that seems right. I think the preorders launch that day, so you'd have to wait til then I'd imagine.

Didn't know where to post this, but I figured since it was Microsoft the Xbox thread would be fine: Microsoft has purchased Bethesda Softworks, the company famously known for creating the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. In addition, they will now own the DOOM franchise, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Prey, Quake, The Evil Within, and Starfield, Bethesdas new IP. Whether or not this means these games won't come to PS5 remains to be seen. Historically, when Microsoft purchased Minecraft, they continued to support the game on PlayStation. Things do seem to be a bit different this time, however, as Microsoft is struggling behind Sony in releasing quality games to sell their console. Pretty wild acquisition.

Edited by elevators_rule

They've also announced, as you'd expect, that all of these games will be coming to Xbox Game Pass. That part is absolutely huge IMO.

Edit: In Todd Howards exclusive statement, he said the following:

Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.

This sounds to me like games will still be available on every platform. I bet we don't get anything concrete, however, until well after the consoles are released to give sales/adoption a boost. Smart.

Edited by elevators_rule

6 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

They've also announced, as you'd expect, that all of these games will be coming to Xbox Game Pass. That part is absolutely huge IMO.

This sounds to me like games will still be available on every platform. I bet we don't get anything concrete, however, until well after the consoles are released to give sales/adoption a boost. Smart.

I don't expect the majority of titles to come to PlayStation. Microsoft isn't spending $7.5B to just let these games continue to be on their direct competitors platform. It's possible yeah, but I am fairly confident that most titles won't be on PlayStation.

44 minutes ago, Danger said:
7 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

I don't expect the majority of titles to come to PlayStation. Microsoft isn't spending $7.5B to just let these games continue to be on their direct competitors platform. It's possible yeah, but I am fairly confident that most titles won't be on PlayStation.

They didn't. They spent $7.5b to be able to add one of the biggest studios in the world to their growing subscription service, and to make money of releasing them to their competitors platforms. 

I expect new IPs to be exclusives, not the 20 year franchises. 

Edited by JBURGE

41 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think some of them could very well still come there, like I said in the thread about this they basically can make it a no brainer to play it on Xbox and PC over Playstation/Switch just with Gamepass. 

Whether it's launching early on gamepass or just the sheer value of it. It is getting PC gamers and Console gamers give them money over their main competitors Steam, Playstation as well as stomping out the cloud gaming competition early.

I do think the Minecraft example and "well they need to make their money back" statement are kinda discounting the new money this will bring in.
Like the amount of PC players who will now stay members will be big. And that is a subscription service, so you'll get a lot of that year after year.

This will definitely equal a ton of exclusives over the next 10 to 15 years no matter what. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

Any clue when the Bethesda titles are coming to Game Pass? That'll probably dictate when I sign up.

the deal needs to be finalized which is happening into next year. But within the deal could be the library getting added this fall, at least some of the titles.
I'm sure they'd love to tout the next gen version of Doom Eternal being on gamepass at launch.
I'd say next summer at the latest, maybe?