Xbox Series X

showtime

One week in and i'm loving the S and gamepass ultimate. Only have 6 games - Madden 20, UFC 3, FIFA 20, Rocket League, Battlefront 2, and Halo MCC. Even though its advertised as 512 GB, i only have 346. 

Probably going to get an external hard drive; there's a ton of other games on gamepass i'm intrigued to try. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

One week in and i'm loving the S and gamepass ultimate. Only have 6 games - Madden 20, UFC 3, FIFA 20, Rocket League, Battlefront 2, and Halo MCC. Even though its advertised as 512 GB, i only have 346. 

Probably going to get an external hard drive; there's a ton of other games on gamepass i'm intrigued to try. 

Yeah, Game Pass Ultimate is pretty great as a deal.

Unfortunately, you can't play games off of an external hard drive for any Series S games. The Series S only runs games off a solid state drive which is a good bit more expensive than a standard HDD. Last I saw they were going for around $200 for 1TB. It's pretty much a small memory card that you insert into the back of the system.

You can buy an external HDD to run older Xbox games (Xbox One, 360, or original) or you can use it to just store games on and then transfer them over to your current SSD when you want to play them (quicker than downloading, but still time-consuming).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Series S is great as a gamepass machine. The Hard Drive is def annoying though, but just try to keep your games to 5 and you should be ok. Unless you’re gonna do Call of Duty or NBA, those games are huge. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, BayRaider said:

Series S is great as a gamepass machine. The Hard Drive is def annoying though, but just try to keep your games to 5 and you should be ok. Unless you’re gonna do Call of Duty or NBA, those games are huge. 

Hopefully those integrated expansion drives drop dramatically. Apparently they will open up to more manufacturers and have bigger storage options, so that will help.

I think you can store next gen games on the   External drive, you just can’t play them from there like you can back compat games.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Hopefully those integrated expansion drives drop dramatically. Apparently they will open up to more manufacturers and have bigger storage options, so that will help.

I think you can store next gen games on the   External drive, you just can’t play them from there like you can back compat games.

Correct, that's one thing xbox did better than playstation. Unfortunately with the PS5 you can't even store the PS5 games on an external drive to swap them so you don't have to download them again but the Xbox does allow you to do that.

8 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Correct, that's one thing xbox did better than playstation. Unfortunately with the PS5 you can't even store the PS5 games on an external drive to swap them so you don't have to download them again but the Xbox does allow you to do that.

That’s odd, hopefully they can patch that at some point.

Apparently some news could be coming next week, rumor is back compat stuff. Specifically them finding a way to increase frame rates on games without the developers needing to do anything. Similar to the ai based up scaling and auto-HDR the series x does for games.

Also the Bethesda/Zenimax deal looks like it’ll be clearing the EU hurdle so that might be wrapped up 3/4 months sooner than the initial speculation of June. Hopefully we hear some more concrete plans not too long from now.

Also might hear of the other rumored acquisitions once the big Bethesda deal is done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a first right? 3rd party $60 game launching day one on GP?

I played the demo for it, for a destiny like game I thought it had some promise. Combat wasn’t too bullet spongey, rewards you for getting in there. Loot is more than just numbers on a screen. Always wary of them, like none have really nailed it.