Home Opener : 2017 Edition. Vikings vs Steelers - Week 2 GDT.

steelcurtain29

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Not true.  That Saint's D is going to finish much lower than the Browns D.  Between players, system, and DC that Browns defense is at least average.

You don't know that by any stretch of the imagination.  That's pure speculation.  I was wrong though, on which was worse last year.  The Browns gave up 2 less points on the season than the Aints did.  The Browns did give up 15 more yards per game though.  But that's splitting hairs.  One was 31, the other was 30 in scoring D.  

7 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

You don't know that by any stretch of the imagination.  That's pure speculation.  I was wrong though, on which was worse last year.  The Browns gave up 2 less points on the season than the Aints did.  The Browns did give up 15 more yards per game though.  But that's splitting hairs.  One was 31, the other was 30 in scoring D.  

But that's what we do. You speculated that the Vikings will have a top 3 Defense. You speculated that the Saints will have a good offense. I don't see much difference. FWIW: I see the Browns having a top 15 Defense or a little better (Average to Above Average). I see the Saints having a bottom 10 or worse Defense (Below Average). Now if the Browns end up at 15 and the Saints are able to get to 20 then that may very well be splitting hairs.

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

But that's what we do. You speculated that the Vikings will have a top 3 Defense. You speculated that the Saints will have a good offense. I don't see much difference. FWIW: I see the Browns having a top 15 Defense or a little better (Average to Above Average). I see the Saints having a bottom 10 or worse Defense (Below Average). Now if the Browns end up at 15 and the Saints are able to get to 20 then that may very well be splitting hairs.

Well I did stipulate in one of my posts that I was talking about the Browns having a horrible defense and only adding 3 rookies to it.  So I expect more of the same from units, if they didn't make big changes.  I should have clarified that better.  

I personally expect the Browns to have a better defense.  My post was more that at this point, we simply don't know what teams are going to be yet.  We all saw how poor the Steelers looked early on in that game.  Then we all saw how Ben and Brown took over.  They didn't look like the bottom feeder defense from last year, but the Steelers didn't look like an elite offense either.  The truth may be somewhere in between.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Of course at the end of the season, even the stats don't tell the whole story.  Like the Steelers have the 6th offense last year I believe from an article I just read.  We all know they're the best, or at least #2 or #3, if people are healthy, but when Ben misses time, Bryant was out, Bell missed time, Brown was KO'd at one point, etc, etc, it will hurt the stats and skew them.  

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I said it was Cassel if you go read it again.  I was guessing at Ponder until I looked it up.  He started 9 games that year, but not that one.  

Bradford is supposed to play.  If he doesn't, then yes I think the Steelers are the heavy favorites.  If he is healthy and plays like he is, I don't consider either team a favorite.  The Vikings have a much better defense.  The Steelers, theoretically since we almost never see it, have an elite offense when everyone is actually available.  The Vikings have a much improved offense.  The Steelers have an improving defense.  In other words, neither of them should be so lopsided this year, with the Steelers being all offense and the Vikings being all defense.  Sounds strange saying that doesn't it, since 20 years ago it was the opposite.  

I read an article the other day where Ben was saying the Browns are going to surprise a lot of people.  They're a lot better than expected.  I'm guessing he might be right.  But the Steelers definitely shot themselves in the foot, early and often in that game.  But any way you look at it, you can't say the Vikings played against a horrible D, while neglecting the fact the Steelers played an even worse one.  Meanwhile, the Vikings scored 29 points (30 if not for a missed extra point).  The Steelers, scored 14?  The Vikings gave up 12 points minus a garbage TD.  Steelers gave up 18.  The Aints have a good O, the Browns don't.  So I mean if you're going to be fair here, lets be fair.  You can't have it both ways.  

Oh and I definitely agree that Ben looked flustered.  He played like crap most of the game.  Tentative is how I put it before.  Hesitant.  Idk why, but he was.  

I hope both teams show up,  we see a good game and can really evaluate how both teams are going to be this year.  In week 1 the Steelers got lucky they played a cupcake.  The Vikings also had the luxury of starting out against a weak opponent at home, so they could break in all their new pieces.  

I wasn't ignoring the browns defense. I was trying to state that the steelers offense really underachieved due to what we have already stated.  Steelers can't afford to do that against the Vikings in order for it to be a good game or even get the W. during my first statement I wasn't taking anything away from the Vikings performance. They did what should of been expected playing against a weaker D and showing that their defense doesn't play around.

I do think the browns did a lot of right things this offseason. They were definitely more prepared to play. Maybe it shows that the starters should consider more reps together in the preseason. Granted, it was "hard" for Bell to be there and harder for Bryant Because he was trying to get reinstated. 

Its frustrating for me as a fan to watch this offense underachieve and be inconsistent. I understand about being available(non- injured, non-suspended, and actually there). One of those is uncontrollable and the nature of the game.  I can ultimately seeing this team being like the chargers in the 2000s 

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

I wasn't ignoring the browns defense. I was trying to state that the steelers offense really underachieved due to what we have already stated.  Steelers can't afford to do that against the Vikings in order for it to be a good game or even get the W. during my first statement I wasn't taking anything away from the Vikings performance. They did what should of been expected playing against a weaker D and showing that their defense doesn't play around.

I do think the browns did a lot of right things this offseason. They were definitely more prepared to play. Maybe it shows that the starters should consider more reps together in the preseason. Granted, it was "hard" for Bell to be there and harder for Bryant Because he was trying to get reinstated. 

Its frustrating for me as a fan to watch this offense underachieve and be inconsistent. I understand about being available(non- injured, non-suspended, and actually there). One of those is uncontrollable and the nature of the game.  I can ultimately seeing this team being like the chargers in the 2000s 

What do you mean exactly, by the Chargers of the 2000s?  

Maybe I misunderstood your intent/meaning in that first post.  I agree with this post 100%.  Just don't know what the Chargers of the 2000s means.  All I know is they never won squat, so I hope you're wrong! lol

52 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

What do you mean exactly, by the Chargers of the 2000s?  

Maybe I misunderstood your intent/meaning in that first post.  I agree with this post 100%.  Just don't know what the Chargers of the 2000s means.  All I know is they never won squat, so I hope you're wrong! lol

Those charger teams were really talented. You could argue that they had the most talented roster, offensively anyways, during that time and they underachieved.  I see a lot of similarities between those chargers and these steelers. 

I hope I'm wrong also. I don't mean to sound like a Debbie downer, I just know if the steelers fail to show up/get in a rhythm soon with how tough the AFC is "suppose" to look, we can't afford that. Hopefully both teams give us a hell of a show. I'm waiting for the 2017  Versions of the eagles/dolphins/ravens of last year to show up. 

I just read the Vikings signed Kyle Sloter, a practice squad QB, to the active roster.  So whether that is because someone tried to poach him from the PS, or because Bradford's knee is in doubt and they wanted another healthy QB available on game day is unknown.  Sloter in preseason looked like a pretty decent player with a fairly high ceiling, from what little I saw of him.  I saw him with the Broncos.  Good size, athleticism and arm, but I didn't pay a ton of attention to him.  

Also, I think the biggest factor here is Pittsburgh playing at home. The Steelers are a totally different beast at Heinz Field. 

Minnesota has a better oline than last year, but that's not saying much. Pat Elflein looked good in his first start and will only get better. Nick Easton is much more athletic than Alex Boone, but he's JAG. Kinda weak in run blocking. Riley Reiff is average but can hold his own. Joe Berger surprisingly still has it for his age. Not a bad player. Mike Remmers is the weak link on our line and will/should be exploited.

I suspect that Bell will be better this week, and given that Tom Johnson is a starter, I think the Steelers will attack the middle of the vikings defense and continue to hammer it. Running on the outside is not a great idea with 2 strong DEs and rangy Linebackers behind them. Anthony Barr looked a lot better at the end of last season and week 1. Eric Kendricks is going to be great.

Attack Trae Waynes. He's a limited player, and if Brown is on him, it'll be ugly. Just don't throw a go route against him and you're fine.

End of the day, I got the lers winning but I think it'll be a great game. And l will be at the game since I live in Pittsburgh! Haha

48 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys like the Stefon Diggs-Antonio Brown comparison? We've been hearing it since day 1 with Diggs but I'm curious what you guys think.

I don't see it TBH. AB is really unique. Just start with Diggs has 2" and 20lbs on Brown. Not quite as shifty either. 

Archived