Week 15 GDT: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Zombies: Open tryouts for defence this Saturday

Canadian Saint

I’ve heard of Pyrrhic victories, but what about defeats? Saints enter MNF with seemingly half the team DNP on Thursday. Alonso, Peat, Armstead, Jordan, Bell and Robinson all DNP as of Thursday. Add insult to injury standout DE Marcus Davenport and recovering stud DT Rankins were put on IR. Saints coming off a devastating loss against the 49ers in which the improved D looked like the Rob Ryan D of old. Including a standout Brees game winning drive squandered by giving up big yards in less than a minute. 

Im going to keep this simple:

- Secondary is on notice. Loss last week was on them. Lots of 20+ plays due to blown coverage and bad angles. They’ve been awful since the BYE. Apples fighting for his future on the team, Bell for his next contract, and Williams for his future too. 

- Payton has to get it together. Stop getting cute. Taysom Hill is a fun guy but not a cure to every offensive ailment. Don’t be dumb and just use what works.

- Kamara is acting like he doesn’t really want to be out there. Oblige him. Murray has shown capable and shows more fire. If Kamara wants to pout, bench him. Now last week wasn’t all his fault, as Payton’s play calling hurt him, but at some point he’s gotta show the fire of his old self. 

- DA needs to game plan better. Coverages and game plan sucked in the first half, and we only did well with adjustments. We can’t be waiting till half time to know what we’re doing. 

I’m not gonna put a prediction, because these guys have to get their heads out of their rear if they want to be Super Bowl contenders. Right now they look like prime one and done material. 

• Like 1

It wouldn’t surprise me to lose out at this point, and enter wild card weekend 10-6.  Team hasn’t looked dominant really all year.  Before the bye we were winning games 13-6, and after the bye we’re getting into shootouts.

The defense looks bad. We had no business giving up 48 points to the 49ers and losing at home.  49ers can say the same for their defense, but difference is they were playing us in the dome.  Everyone knows what Brees and Payton are capable of in the dome.  But 49ers had no business coming in there scoring 48.

Wouldnt surprise me if Jacoby looks like an MVP candidate after Monday night.

These guys aren't going to lose out, and the sky isn't falling.

The 49ers are a good team, and we went toe to toe with them. The difference makers were a bad 2pt conversion attempt, and 2 trick plays that were schemed perfectly.

Was the defensive secondary playing poorly? YES!! They can fix it, for the most part. Get Apple's head back in the game, and our secondary becomes a different group all together.

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Are we to assume Patrick Robinson isn't capable of playing anymore? I can't figure out why he's riding the pine. Only 58 snaps on defense this season. We'd probably be better off with Janoris Jenkins.

Pretty sure he gets cut after this season. Injuries have really slowed him down.

4 hours ago, Fray32 said:

How important was the 49ers surprise L to the Falcons? RE: our first round bye chances

It was HUGE!! As were some of the other games for strength of schedule. That could help us take over Green Bay for the #1 seed if it comes right down to it. 

Bottom line, we need to win out to assure a bye week.

That was a response game. Something champions do. A few thoughts:

- Brees is the GOAT. What else can be said. 2 records on one night in a ridiculous performance.

- MT. Cannot be guarded. He's well on his way to beating Harrison's receptions record. He needs 6 receptions in each of his next two games.

- Jared Cook played well. This is who myself and many other were hoping for.

- Kamara is inching towards Kamara of old. Payton knows best and kept feeding him.

- I hope Warford is ok. Deuce said it could be a hyperextension, which is 1-2 week injury IIRC.

- D showed up this game. Colts normally average 117 yards rushing, and we held them to 47.

- Apple is getting picked on. 4 weeks in a row opposing teams have targeted him first pass. If Jenkins comes in with his head straight and picks up the play book, I think he gives Apple competition. He's the weak link in the secondary.

- CGJ and PJ got hurt, hope both are ok.

- Demario Davis. Holy crap. He was man to man coverage all night and did great. This guy is one of my favorites man. Just a great all around LB who's solidified this D.

- To further that, having Klein back helped the D tonight. We were less crappy on the edge runs and crossing routes. We missed him and Alonso against the 49ers.

- Man do we miss Davenport and Rankins. The pass rush seemed off today, and while they did get pressure, we missed both of those guys on passing downs. Also the fact we put in a claim for Suggs makes me think the front office and coaches think the same. Tough losses with both of them out for the year.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Raves said:

I ended up missing most of the game because I was watching the Cavs game, when I turned the game on we were up 34-0.... I was like... ok... that's pretty damn good...

Glad to get the recaps from everyone.

First game of the year I missed most of, and of course it was our best game.

Maybe we should quit watching the games?