DPOY 2019

goldfishwars

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I'd give it to Gilmore. He's been great all season and looked awesome every time I've watched the Pats. Also, the Pats have the best defense so I'm inclined to reward the unit, since you can never properly separate a player's performance from the players around him.

The rams has been pretty filthy 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

It’ll probably be Donald again.. No ones having a insane year and the dude from the Bucs hella slowed down. He had what 9 sacks in week 3-4? 

6.6 since then. Eww. 

He's cooled off but he is still having a dominant season across the board. Aaron Donald is the better player but THIS season, its looking like Barrett.

2 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

He's cooled off but he is still having a dominant season across the board. Aaron Donald is the better player but THIS season, its looking like Barrett.

Not when you factor the amount of double teams. Not to mention the competition and how they effect the defense as a whole. 

I wouldn’t be mad if Donald didn’t win it and voters fatigue may set in. But no ones have a insane season. But what Donald deals with and how he wins! No one comes close when you add the data. Any other player should have 2-3 sacks with the amount of attention donald is/has been getting. 

Probably Gilmore? Definitely the closest race in quite some time, well I guess maybe Mack year was close? I don't remember that race all too well, but outside of that it's been JJ or AD running away with it IIRC.

Donald is the best defensive player, maybe overall, in the league... still. But voter fatigue + numbers not as good + Rams D being nothing special, all that has created an opening for somebody else to take it. Pats D cooling off overall has definitely hurt Gilmore's claim even though he has still been playing at a high level, but I think he got enough press throughout year that he could still get it. Rightfully so, he's been a stud. It's close enough that Donald could end up running away with it if he puts together a ton of sacks in these last 3.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Aaron Donald, Gilmore, Bosa and TJ Watt are the candidates IMO. Fair or not, coming out of nowhere w/ no prior reputation and stuffing the stat sheet on a porous defense isn't going to get you DPOY recognition, so I don't think Barrett has much of a shot. 

Odds via BetOnline.ag

Stephon Gilmore 4/1

Aaron Donald 5/1

T.J. Watt 6/1

Danielle Hunter 13/2

Minkah Fitzpatrick 7/1

Nick Bosa 9/1

Shaquil Barrett 10/1

Devin McCourty 12/1

Marcus Peters 12/1

Chandler Jones 14/1

Jamie Collins 16/1

Richard Sherman 16/1

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

I've seen different sites with Donald as the odds favorite to win and as a Rams fan I'm shocked. I also do not think that anyone else has really pulled away as a clear cut winner. I'd like to see TJ Watt finish strong and get a crack at it.  When I think of corners who should win this award they have typically been "flashy" about it with Charles Woodson and Deion. Rod Woodson being closer to the level Gilmore has played, but I wouldn't give it to Gilmore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Probably Gilmore? Definitely the closest race in quite some time, well I guess maybe Mack year was close? I don't remember that race all too well, but outside of that it's been JJ or AD running away with it IIRC.

Donald is the best defensive player, maybe overall, in the league... still. But voter fatigue + numbers not as good + Rams D being nothing special, all that has created an opening for somebody else to take it. Pats D cooling off overall has definitely hurt Gilmore's claim even though he has still been playing at a high level, but I think he got enough press throughout year that he could still get it. Rightfully so, he's been a stud. It's close enough that Donald could end up running away with it if he puts together a ton of sacks in these last 3.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Aaron Donald, Gilmore, Bosa and TJ Watt are the candidates IMO. Fair or not, coming out of nowhere w/ no prior reputation and stuffing the stat sheet on a porous defense isn't going to get you DPOY recognition, so I don't think Barrett has much of a shot. 

Odds via BetOnline.ag

Stephon Gilmore 4/1

Aaron Donald 5/1

T.J. Watt 6/1

Danielle Hunter 13/2

Minkah Fitzpatrick 7/1

Nick Bosa 9/1

Shaquil Barrett 10/1

Devin McCourty 12/1

Marcus Peters 12/1

Chandler Jones 14/1

Jamie Collins 16/1

Richard Sherman 16/1

Rams D is actually better than last year by a decent margin. Last week we surpassed our sack total from last year and have been on a tear. I doubt we get to Dak much this week, but you never know - if he finishes with 15+ sacks, I think he'll get it.

Seeing Marcus Peters on that list is pretty wild.

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

The rams has been pretty filthy 

The Rams D is good and all, but they also played the following offenses during that stretch: Falcons (Ryan/Schaub), Bengals (Finley), Bears (Trubisky), Cardinals (Murray). Not exactly an elite group of offenses. The Ravens were the only legit offense they faced during that stretch and Lamar ran through them like a buzz-saw (as he's done to seemingly every defense this year).

They did play exceptionally well last week at home against a good Seahawks offense, however. So there's that. I also expect them to put up another stout performance this week against a reeling Cowboys team. The Niners game will be interesting to see what that unit is really made of. Point is, I'd take that 10.5 PPG with a grain of salt considering who they faced.

• Like 2