DPOY 2019

goldfishwars

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm surprised how quiet Mack has been this year by his standards. 8.5 sacks and 5 FF is good but I expected more out of a former DPOY. Did Fangio departing hurt him or why hasn't he been the same this season?

I don't know how they've used him throughout the year, but against KC their DC put him in a position where he couldn't have gotten a good rush half the time. They had him chipping Kelce constantly. By the time he started rushing the play was half over. He was pretty effective, Kelce just got short passes, and when Mack wasn't on press duty he was beating Fisher and Schwartz reasonably frequently, but he wasn't set up well that game statistically.

Having a bad scoring offense is always rough for a pass rusher, too. Maybe two or three games all year where Mack ever got any obvious passing drives against him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

He wasnt much better.. than White before hand. Very similar performance. Although that 1 play may have made them 1a and 1b as the best CB in football

Gillmore has followed the other teams #1 receiving threat (if applicable) in every game for the last two seasons. White is exclusively a LCB. Please stop trying. He's not a better candidate for DPOY. Especially over other guys like Watt, Chandler Jones and Fitzpatrick.

I don’t think Jones will break the sack record next week but if he gets to 21-22 it will be tough not to give him the award.  Justin Houston had 22 sacks and didn’t win DPOY but Jones is more established and complete player.  Also Watt was still Watt that year.  

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

I don’t think Jones will break the sack record next week but if he gets to 21-22 it will be tough not to give him the award.  Justin Houston had 22 sacks and didn’t win DPOY but Jones is more established and complete player.  Also Watt was still Watt that year.  

He will need to flat out break the record. DPOY just doesn't go to players on teams not in the playoffs, and 2 of those times it did in the last 20 seasons, those players were o on teams that had the 5th and 2nd best D, respectively.... the other time? When Strahan broke the sack record. Of course Strahan was also playing in NY, so I'm not even positive getting the record would get Chandler the award, although you'd think it would. 

record + team's defensive DVOA rank 

Chandler Jones (5-9-1, 24th)

Aaron Donald (13-3, 19th)

Aaron Donald (11-5, 6th)

Khalil Mack (12-4, 22nd)

JJ Watt (9-7, 8th)

JJ Watt (9-7, 6th)

Luke Kuechly (12-4, 3rd)

JJ Watt (12-4, 4th)

Terrell Suggs (12-4, 1st)

Troy Polamalu (12-4, 1st)

Charles Woodson (11-5, 2nd)

James Harrison (12-4, 1st)

Bob Sanders (13-3, 2nd)

Jason Taylor (6-10, 5th)

Brian Urlacher (11-5, 1st)

Ed Reed (9-7, 2nd)

Ray Lewis (10-6, 1st)

Derrick Brooks (12-4, 1st)

Michael Strahan (7-9, 18th)

Ray Lewis (12-4, 2nd)

Warren Sapp (11-5, 2nd)

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

I havent heard a single thing about jones all year so that should tell you his chance to win the award almost none.

• Like 2

Steelers' bias is strong in this reply, of course, but remember, Watt has 7 PDs vs Jones 3...2 INTs vs Jones 0, and drops back into coverage more often, yet still manages to have 10 Stuffs, vs Jones 2, and Watts 34 QB hits vs Jones 25...Watt is simply the more 'well-rounded' defender.

Does that mean he's most deserving of DPOY??  Not sure, but I do know as a Steelers' fan, I'm thrilled he's here, and amazed at what he's been able to accomplish.... 

If Jones wins, however, it will be well deserved, for sure...this season's DPOY candidates are about as strong a group as I remember.

• Like 1