DPOY 2019

goldfishwars

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY

2 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

Well ya sorta are lol. You said he was third in the race. But whatever. I do agree that DB's don't get this award because fans love sacks.

I get why you think that's what I'm saying. The reason though I say he is 3rd in the race is because fans dont vote, its writers, where perception will likely rule and that, imo, puts him on the back end of the top 3.

There is 0 doubt that AD is the best overall defensive player in the NFL. 0 doubt Gilmore is the best CB in the league. And imo, 0 doubt Watt has the best stats off all 3. So it's fair to say perception is going to play a major part.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

BTW, here are the DT numbers. If you look really hard, you can see Aaron Donald all by himself. ;)

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can you even name 3 people in the front 7 of the Patriots off the top of your head?

Watt is the pass rush, which is why he's one of the least double teamed players in the NFL?

I sense some non-sense here with this chart, if I'm supposed to believe that the Cowboys have two of the top 5 double teamed edge rushers, and a top 5 double teamed interior DL.

My guess is it's just a really low threshold for what they count as a double team, but it's hard to say.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Few interior rushers can produce pressure at the rate of top edge rushers. And it's not just because of double teams

The average % of x the outside rushers were doubled was 19%, the average for the inside rushers was 61%. So it would be kinda silly to say that isn't a major factor in why they don't produce pressure as often. 

Better evidence would be to show me his pressure rates when singled and lined up inside vs. singled and lined up outside. 

For him and for pass rushers in general. 

4 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

The average % of x the outside rushers were doubled was 19%, the average for the inside rushers was 61%. So it would be kinda silly to say that isn't a major factor in why they don't produce pressure as often. 

Better evidence would be to show me his pressure rates when singled and lined up inside vs. singled and lined up outside. 

For him and for pass rushers in general. 

So you're disputing that interior DLs are at a disadvantage because they have less room to operate? Did you play football growing up?

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

So you're disputing that interior DLs are at a disadvantage because they have less room to operate? 

no, them having less room is why they are doubled so often. but if you are simulating them being singled at the same rate as a outside rusher then obviously they would have waayy more room than usual. 

I'm saying an equal rusher on the inside should do better if they are singled than if they are singled on the outside. 

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Did you play football growing up?

yes but was never a fatty

15 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

no, them having less room is why they are doubled so often. but if you are simulating them being singled at the same rate as a outside rusher then obviously they would have waayy more room than usual. 

That's completely wrong. They have significantly less room to operate than outside rushers.

I'm saying an equal rusher on the inside should do better if they are singled than if they are singled on the outside.

Okay. Provide the data supporting this claim.

Edited by jrry32

6 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Lots of great players but I went with Gilmore who is far and away the best at his position right now

I have no issue calling Gilmore the DPoTY though I think it's Watt... But far and away that best at his position. The gap between he and White isn't that big.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's completely wrong. They have significantly less room to operate than outside rushers.

bruh, obviously. which is why they are doubled 3x as often. but your point was that if he was singled as often blah blah... But if he was singled as often he would have way more room than your average dlineman. 

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Okay. Provide the data supporting this claim.

if anyone has compiled that data I would prob have to pay for it and that's not gonna happen

8 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

bruh, obviously. which is why they are doubled 3x as often. but your point was that if he was singled as often blah blah... But if he was singled as often he would have way more room than your average dlineman. 

If DTs were singled, they'd still have significantly less room to operate than edge rushers. It's not disputable.

8 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

functionally?

yes they could run 30 yards towards the sideline but that isn't going to help much getting to the qb

Yes, I clearly mean functionally. As an interior DL, unless you're involved in a game, you have the choice of two gaps and a window of roughly two or three yards to operate. Edge rushers have a window of 5 to 12 yards for their two gaps.

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's both true and obvious. He's producing a comparable amount of pressure while being doubled at five or six times the rate.

There is a reason the DT's on whole are doubled more than outside guys. A tackle doesn't have to win per se he can just keep the edge running wide. There is more built in leeway. The QB can also step up. DT's if the win the QB is in trouble. JJ Watt has the highest edge double team rate this year https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1209497612652556289 . The plot for DT's doesn't even start until 44%. Comparing double team rate for DT's vs Edge is just not apples to apples. 

This isn't meant to be an argument for or against either of them, just a general point of fact that needs to be considered if you are going to talk about double team rate.