DPOY 2019

goldfishwars

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I honestly don’t know who should win the award now. Gilmores last two performances should definitely lower him. Neither Watt or Donald had a dominant last game, but Watt definitely was a pretty good. His team missed the playoffs but I would probably just give it to him.

Tyran Mathieu has been the best player in football the past 6 weeks.

31 minutes ago, mse326 said:

There is a reason the DT's on whole are doubled more than outside guys. A tackle doesn't have to win per se he can just keep the edge running wide. There is more built in leeway. The QB can also step up. DT's if the win the QB is in trouble. JJ Watt has the highest edge double team rate this year https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1209497612652556289 . The plot for DT's doesn't even start until 44%. Comparing double team rate for DT's vs Edge is just not apples to apples. 

This isn't meant to be an argument for or against either of them, just a general point of fact that needs to be considered if you are going to talk about double team rate.

And comparing pass rush win rate is not apples to apples either. Look at how the other interior DLs compare. Yet, Donald is up there with Mack and T.J. Watt. And pushing the edge past the QB is a win. An interior OL can do the same thing.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And comparing pass rush win rate is not apples to apples either. Look at how the other interior DLs compare. Yet, Donald is up there with Mack and T.J. Watt. And pushing the edge past the QB is a win. An interior OL can do the same thing.

Plus edge players go against RB chips or a TE. Donald’s getting C-G and the whole Shabang. There’s a reason why there’s always a new edge pass rusher every year while on DT there’s only one king!!! Donald is the goat baby. 

• Like 1

Despite everyone's bickering, I was fairly convinced for awhile now that Gilmore would be the guy who actually wins it... but then he went and had his worst game of the entire year in a crushing loss. I have no idea who will win this award, 15 votes probably takes it. I'm still gonna guess Gilmore, but I'm not confident about it. It may just end up defaulting to Donald. When in doubt, let's just give it to the best defensive player (not to say Donald doesn't also have a case for having had the best 2019).

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 2:24 AM, jrry32 said:

It's both true and obvious. He's producing a comparable amount of pressure while being doubled at five or six times the rate.

If you want to conveniently & completely negate the FF, INT, PD, etc??? Then sure, let's hinge the entire DPOY to how many times he was double teamed...yet, you conveniently forget how may snap counts Watt drops back into coverage...this isn't an award for who is the best at defeating double teams...it's about being the highest impact defender, and turnovers are an integral item in that narrative.

I'm not saying Donald isn't worthy of the award, but to act like defeating double teams are the end-all-be-all, of who is the best defender in the NFL, or worthy of DPOY, well, that is simply short-sighted. To me, it's going to boil down to impact to a teams's success, coupled with the most impressive and complete numbers, and QB Hurries/Sacks are not the only piece of the puzzle, nor is it the even the most important piece. Creating Turnovers likely portends the highest impact, and Watt's 8 FF, 4 FR, and 2 INTs cannot simply be overlooked because Donald was Double Teamed more often. Not to mention, Shaquil Barrett's numbers in this regard are nearly as impressive as Watt's...add in his extra 5 sacks, and Barrett is a very attractive option, as well.

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

If you want to conveniently & completely negate the FF, INT, PD, etc??? Then sure, let's hinge the entire DPOY to how many times he was double teamed...yet, you conveniently forget how may snap counts Watt drops back into coverage...this isn't an award for who is the best at defeating double teams...it's about being the highest impact defender, and turnovers are an integral item in that narrative.

I'm not saying Donald isn't worthy of the award, but to act like defeating double teams are the end-all-be-all, of who is the best defender in the NFL, or worthy of DPOY, well, that is simply short-sighted. To me, it's going to boil down to impact to a teams's success, coupled with the most impressive and complete numbers, and QB Hurries/Sacks are not the only piece of the puzzle, nor is it the even the most important piece. Creating Turnovers likely portends the highest impact, and Watt's 8 FF, 4 FR, and 2 INTs cannot simply be overlooked because Donald was Double Teamed more often. Not to mention, Shaquil Barrett's numbers in this regard are nearly as impressive as Watt's...add in his extra 5 sacks, and Barrett is a very attractive option, as well.

He’s simply saying TJ wouldn’t put up half the stats if he was doubled as much as donald. And that’s true for 99% of players. Donald’s just god like. Imagine TJ Watt with Donald Ooooof. 

Khalil Mack is having a down year because without Hicks he’s the focal point of the defense and seeing crazy doubles. 

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

He’s simply saying TJ wouldn’t put up half the stats if he was doubled as much as donald. And that’s true for 99% of players. Donald’s just god like. Imagine TJ Watt with Donald Ooooof. 

Khalil Mack is having a down year because without Hicks he’s the focal point of the defense and seeing crazy doubles. 

Donald wouldny put up the stats he does if he played OLB, just saying.

28 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

It's almost like football is a team game but DPoTY isn't...

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

What in the hell does that have to do with anything?

The DPOY award has only been given to like 2 guys in the past 20 years whose teams didnt make the playoffs. TJ Watt has not been dominant enough to the point that he is worthy of being the 3rd.

3 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

The DPOY award has only been given to like 2 guys in the past 20 years whose teams didnt make the playoffs. TJ Watt has not been dominant enough to the point that he is worthy of being the 3rd.

So Gilmore should get it because his QB didn't get injured. Got it.