Jump to content
goldfishwars

DPOY 2019

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY



Recommended Posts

If we were still in the playoff hunt and our defense wasn't one of the worst in the league, I think it would be Barrett pretty easily. Unless he gets 4+ sacks in the last three games (which is possible), I don't know that he wins.

But I don't know who gets it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

See you cant have that argument on one hand then on the other hand say how impressive the Falcons offense looked against the Saints in New Orleans when they scored 29pts and won. Then look at how impressive the Bears offense looked against the Cowboys on TNF and won. Then look at both times the Cardinals offense looked impressive against a great Niners defense and nearly won both times. The Rams shutdown that same Falcons offense, Bears offense, and Cardinals offense. As a matter of fact they did not just shudown those teams, they made the Falcons and Cardinals offenses look the worst it has looked all season long. Not to mention the Rams defense made the Seahawks offense look the worst it has looked all season long. So all Im saying is the pet peeve I have is when people give so much credit to a team like the Cardinals offense for giving the Niners great defense trouble and nearly winning but when the Rams shut that same Cardinals offense down those same people will say well the Rams defense played the Cardinals and they arent a great offense. Plus people saw what Lamar did to the Rams rushing and thought Murray was going to do the same thing. So dont act like people came into that game thinking the Rams was going to just completely shutdown the Cardinals offense because they werent great. Lets just be fair. Then to also be fair, the Rams faced Ryan for most of that game. They also faced Dalton not Finley when they faced the Bengals. So lets not take away what the Rams defense has been able to do since they got Ramsey. They even held the Niners great rushing attack to 99yds on 44 attempts and held them to 20pts. I know people wont talk about it because the Rams lost but it wasnt because of their defense. The offense struggled but the defense came to play. That same Niners team that scored 48pts in New Orleans. That same Niners team that came into that Rams game rushing for 200yds per game again only had 99yds rushing and score 20pts. Im just saying. 

Listen, I never said the Rams defense was overrated. They're up their with the leagues best. I said the tweet was misleading given the opposition during that stretch. Flaunting 10.5 PPG needs a bit of context. They were mostly playing bad to average offenses since Week 7. That's all. Wouldn't you agree? Atlanta is the only team within the top 15 in PPG sitting at 14 (granted, this includes games with Schaub at QB - they should be higher). The Bengals, Bears, and Cardinals are bottom 10. You don't think that influences the 10.5 PPG average a bit? I gave you deserved credit for taking care of the Seahawks at home. That was impressive. The others, not so much. A PPG average that low should be expected more so than revered for a defense of the Rams caliber. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope a bunch of people make it clear that Donald has not earned DPOY at this point. I'll enjoy seeing him go off for like 6 to 8 sacks in the final 3 games lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, showtime said:

Why would Aaron Donald win defensive player of the year? 

Because he's literally so dominant that a season where he's gonna finish with 30+ tackles behind the LoS is gonna be a "down" year? This despite being one of the most doubled linemen in the league but the most successful at defeating them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Why would he be the the most realistic choice if he’s 5th and 3rd? Barrett is ahead in both categories.

Because he pass rushes less than Barrett, is WAY more consistent (as Barrett's numbers are boosted by two games in Week 2 and 3), and Watt has a better all around game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this may come off as homerish, but I think it has to be TJ Watt. His leadership on the defensive side has the Steelers as a possible playoff team.

According to DVOA, they’re the 3rd best defense (one of only 3 at the -15 mark or better) which is fine but then you have to factor in the other side of the ball. Every other candidate has an offense that is at least decent; the Steelers, according to DVOA, statistics and the eyeball test, have one of the worst offenses in the league. It is, factually, the worst offense they’ve fielded in the last 50 years.

TJ Watt as the unquestioned leader (in terms of play) on this defense is the reason for that. His play is the difference between the Steelers throwing away a Top 5 draft pick and acquiring a great player for a pick in the late teens/early 20s this season.

His numbers are absolutely fantastic; 41 total tackles, 29 QB Hits (T-1st), 12.5 Sacks (4th), 5 Forced Fumbles (3rd), 12 TFL (T-11th), 21 Hurries, and 50 Total Pressures, 18% Double Team Rate, 27% Pass Rush Win Rate (2nd) and 2 Interceptions with only 5 Missed Tackles on the season (2nd lowest only to Cam Jordan). And I would argue that his Double Team Rate is only so “low” (elite guys are ranging between 18 and 28%) because Cameron Heyward and Bud Dupree have picked it up.

Of the pass rushers in the DPoTY race the only guys with similar numbers are Donald and Barrett. But neither have had the overall impact on the whole team that he has, though AD obviously always has a huge impact on the Ram’s D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Because he pass rushes less than Barrett, is WAY more consistent (as Barrett's numbers are boosted by two games in Week 2 and 3), and Watt has a better all around game?

Okay, lol. That’s why I was asking. Doesn’t make much sense to say this guy is 5th and third, so he’s the best choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I know this may come off as homerish, but I think it has to be TJ Watt. His leadership on the defensive side has the Steelers as a possible playoff team.

According to DVOA, they’re the 3rd best defense (one of only 3 at the -15 mark or better) which is fine but then you have to factor in the other side of the ball. Every other candidate has an offense that is at least decent; the Steelers, according to DVOA, statistics and the eyeball test, have one of the worst offenses in the league. It is, factually, the worst offense they’ve fielded in the last 50 years.

TJ Watt as the unquestioned leader (in terms of play) on this defense is the reason for that. His play is the difference between the Steelers throwing away a Top 5 draft pick and acquiring a great player for a pick in the late teens/early 20s this season.

His numbers are absolutely fantastic; 41 total tackles, 29 QB Hits (T-1st), 12.5 Sacks (4th), 5 Forced Fumbles (3rd), 12 TFL (T-11th), 21 Hurries, and 50 Total Pressures, 18% Double Team Rate, 27% Pass Rush Win Rate (2nd) and 2 Interceptions with only 5 Missed Tackles on the season (2nd lowest only to Cam Jordan). And I would argue that his Double Team Rate is only so “low” (elite guys are ranging between 18 and 28%) because Cameron Heyward and Bud Dupree have picked it up.

Of the pass rushers in the DPoTY race the only guys with similar numbers are Donald and Barrett. But neither have had the overall impact on the whole team that he has, though AD obviously always has a huge impact on the Ram’s D.

If you think Watt should win the award, then why did you reply to my question saying that Donald should win it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Because he's literally so dominant that a season where he's gonna finish with 30+ tackles behind the LoS is gonna be a "down" year? This despite being one of the most doubled linemen in the league but the most successful at defeating them?

You're right, but that's not how it works unfortunately.  

If Donald doesn't have the stats in the top 5, he doesn't have a chance.  

But, he's still the most effective defensive player in the league right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Why would he be the the most realistic choice if he’s 5th and 3rd? Barrett is ahead in both categories.

Yeah, but Watt's the leader of the defense with the most takeaways this season.  

As long as he keeps sacking the quarterback, the rest speaks for itself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, showtime said:

If you think Watt should win the award, then why did you reply to my question saying that Donald should win it?

Because I wouldn't be upset if Donald won it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Okay

 

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

And they were right not to.

Ah yes i forgot, defensive player are only judge by sacks statistic. The rest doesn't count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flounch said:

 

Ah yes i forgot, defensive player are only judge by sacks statistic. The rest doesn't count.

Apart from you, who has been talking about Fred Warner as a potential defensive player of the year? I don't doubt he's having a good year, but I haven't seen this being mooted anywhere in media or betting circles which is why he isn't on the poll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fred warner is not anywhere near being worthy of DPOY lol not by a loooong shot 

Hes wasn't even having the best season of any niners LB. Kwon Alexander was a lot better. Shame he had to get hurt 

I have no qualms if Aaron Donald gets it again. He's an all timer for sure. 

Good to see TFLs getting their due in this thread. I saw Donald has 18 and the bosa brothers along with barrett are tied with 15. Not sure how accurate that was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These next few weeks will have some influence on the winner.  The Rams are getting their game back and I expect Donald to close out the year in a dominating manner.  Watt should finish strong too, and Gilmore has been elite all season.  It won't be unanimous  this season, it will be down to the wire as they say. If Donald wins, that would be the hat trick and I doubt we ever see that ever again. Even LT never got 3 in a row. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×