DPOY 2019

goldfishwars

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY

20 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I love these cherry picked stats that make it sound like someone is having a historic season.

No doubt...where is the 'other' Pass rush stat which means just as much...like Watt's 18 Hurries vs Smith's 14, or how about the 7 FF vs 1 FF...or the 2 INTs vs Nada...or QB Pressures, 58 vs 49...

Yet Watt has a .5 more sacks, but only 3 less TFL, and ONE less QB Hit, with 34...Massive Cherry picking....

• Like 3

TJ Watt is the clear cut candidate here and it's not close tbh. Say what you want about Gilmore or Aaron Donald but neither of them are having the season that Watt is.

Not to take anything away from Gilmore but it is common knowledge that a good front 7 makes the job of a DB easier. So pass rush, etc makes things easier for Gilmore in a sense and to an extent. He is still an elite corner.

But Watt IS THE PASS RUSH. He is the guy making everyone else's job easier by doing all the work AND getting the stats to back it up

24 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

TJ Watt is the clear cut candidate here and it's not close tbh. Say what you want about Gilmore or Aaron Donald but neither of them are having the season that Watt is.

Not to take anything away from Gilmore but it is common knowledge that a good front 7 makes the job of a DB easier. So pass rush, etc makes things easier for Gilmore in a sense and to an extent. He is still an elite corner.

But Watt IS THE PASS RUSH. He is the guy making everyone else's job easier by doing all the work AND getting the stats to back it up

Can you even name 3 people in the front 7 of the Patriots off the top of your head?

Watt is the pass rush, which is why he's one of the least double teamed players in the NFL?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can you even name 3 people in the front 7 of the Patriots off the top of your head?

Watt is the pass rush, which is why he's one of the least double teamed players in the NFL?

Teams apparently are stupid enough not to double team him.

As for the Pat's front 7...

John simon, Jamie Collins, Donta Hightower, Kyle Van Noy, Danny Shelton, Shilque Calhoun, Roberts, Chase Winovich...want me to keep going?

12 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Teams apparently are stupid enough not to double team him.

Speaks for the respect they have for him.

12 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

As for the Pat's front 7...

John simon, Jamie Collins, Donta Hightower, Kyle Van Noy, Danny Shelton, Shilque Calhoun, Roberts, Chase Winovich...want me to keep going?

And how many of those players would you consider to be "above average" at their position? Maybe Hightower and Collins, who have literally nothing to do with Gilmore's job? Their leading sacker is Kyle Van Noy for Pete sakes lol

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Speaks for the respect they have for him.

And how many of those players would you consider to be "above average" at their position? Maybe Hightower and Collins, who have literally nothing to do with Gilmore's job? Their leading sacker is Kyle Van Noy for Pete sakes lol

If ppl dont respect Watts ability it makes them foolish. I get it, your a Ravens fan and you dont wanna see the Steelers have the DPOY. But the fact is he is the best LB in the league this year and the most impactful defender.

Van Noy in that defense, Collins, Hightower and Calhoun imo are all above average. The rest are arguable either way.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Donald is playing better than T.J. Watt. But DPOY is often more about narrative than level of play, so I won't be surprised or upset if it doesn't go Donald's way.

48 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And my fellow Rams fans scoffed at me when I said we should bring Robert Quinn back this past off-season.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

BTW, here are the DT numbers. If you look really hard, you can see Aaron Donald all by himself. ;)

Just now, jrry32 said:

It's both true and obvious. He's producing a comparable amount of pressure while being doubled at five or six times the rate.

I get what you're saying but just because people are too stupid to double team TJ Watt doesnt mean who would be less successful if they did.

We dont know either way. TJ Watt has been an absolute animal. Has been creating turnovers and absolutely destroying QBs all season 

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I get what you're saying but just because people are too stupid to double team TJ Watt doesnt mean who would be less successful if they did.

We dont know either way. TJ Watt has been an absolute animal. Has been creating turnovers and absolutely destroying QBs all season 

Odds are that the Steelers are scheming Watt single teams. And it's a pretty safe bet that Watt would be less successful if he saw more double teams. How much less successful? Couldn't say. But if he were facing double teams at the rate Donald does, I feel quite confident that he wouldn't be producing like Donald is now. But as I said, DPOY is about a narrative, not who the best defensive player is. It's like MVP in that regard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

BTW, here are the DT numbers. If you look really hard, you can see Aaron Donald all by himself. ;)

It's crazy that not only is Donald statistically doing similar things to Watt (if not better things), but he's doing so while being the complete focal point of every offensive gameplan week in and week out.

• Like 1