DPOY 2019

goldfishwars

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY

At this point you can't go wrong with TJ Watt, Stephon Gilmore or Aaron Donald.

Watt and Gilmore have made "flashier" plays, but Donald has been the most dominant player in the NFL for several years and he's still doing it despite being double teamed more than anyone in the NFL.

I think my vote still goes to Donald, but after last night I hate that TJ Watt plays for Pittsburgh.

Still expect Cameron Jordan to have a big game tonight, but we’ll see. Think he’s been extremely hot as of late and if he gets to that 17-20 sack range, which I think he does... I think the award is his to lose. I expect roughly 2 sacks tonight to put him at 15.5 sacks and then another few sacks the last couple games of the season.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

What is DVOA? I noticed they ranked the 2008 Ravens over the 2008 Steelers using that metric. That years Ravens defense was great but the 08 Steelers defense was godly.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#dvoa

“Short version: DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation. DVOA measures not just yardage, but yardage towards a first down: Five yards on third-and-4 are worth more than five yards on first-and-10 and much more than five yards on third-and-12. Red zone plays are worth more than other plays. Performance is also adjusted for the quality of the opponent. DVOA is a percentage, so a team with a DVOA of 10.0% is 10 percent better than the average team, and a quarterback with a DVOA of -20.0% is 20 percent worse than the average quarterback. Because DVOA measures scoring, defenses are better when they are negative.”

There’s a longer explanation in that link, but it’s a metric.

37 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

c'mon, wwhicock, you know better than that. If the Pats had a vulnerable CD to target, Gilmore would hardly get targeted unless he tripped on his shoelaces.

Not sure what you mean I'm not saying that Gilmore should not get the award I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that the other corners on that defense are as good as Gilmore because if you think that I mean I'm sorry but I can't help you.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#dvoa

“Short version: DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation. DVOA measures not just yardage, but yardage towards a first down: Five yards on third-and-4 are worth more than five yards on first-and-10 and much more than five yards on third-and-12. Red zone plays are worth more than other plays. Performance is also adjusted for the quality of the opponent. DVOA is a percentage, so a team with a DVOA of 10.0% is 10 percent better than the average team, and a quarterback with a DVOA of -20.0% is 20 percent worse than the average quarterback. Because DVOA measures scoring, defenses are better when they are negative.”

There’s a longer explanation in that link, but it’s a metric

Thanks, seems to be slightly flawed though but interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

At this point you can't go wrong with TJ Watt, Stephon Gilmore or Aaron Donald.

Watt and Gilmore have made "flashier" plays, but Donald has been the most dominant player in the NFL for several years and he's still doing it despite being double teamed more than anyone in the NFL.

I think my vote still goes to Donald, but after last night I hate that TJ Watt plays for Pittsburgh.

I don't necessarily agree that Aaron Donald has been more dominant this year. 1st of all staff on Gilmore in TJ Watt  you can't really compare the 2 because it play 2 different  Positions and what makes them great is different. Aaron Donald is a closer comparison as far as what he does well to TJ Watt and I feel that TJ Watt  has been more dominant of course I'm a little bias I admit because I get to watch TJ Watt every week.

Wow I would not be shocked if TJ Watt gets it. I genuinely will be thrilled for Gilmore if he does also, because he is deserving

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Oh I don't think anyone here is or should be saying Gilmore is not worthy of the award and I'll be honest I'm not sure why there seems to be a voting bias against DBs

I imagine it’s mostly because they’re generally less of a visible impact than a pass rusher and their statistics aren’t as glaring. 

A shutdown CB could have a perfect game, have zero targets, and there stat line would be a virtual goose egg. Perfect game by a pass rusher usually means sacks, ending drives, etc. It’s flashier and easier to quantify, though that’s changing a little bit with more sites doing coverage statistics. 

Sort of a tradition too, I guess. Usually goes to the best pass rusher/LB. Same as COTY - doesn’t usually go to the best coach, just whoever had the biggest turnaround. Shrug.  

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

I imagine it’s mostly because they’re generally less of a visible impact than a pass rusher and their statistics aren’t as glaring. 

A shutdown CB could have a perfect game, have zero targets, and there stat line would be a virtual goose egg. Perfect game by a pass rusher usually means sacks, ending drives, etc. It’s flashier and easier to quantify, though that’s changing a little bit with more sites doing coverage statistics. 

Sort of a tradition too, I guess. Usually goes to the best pass rusher/LB. Same as COTY - doesn’t usually go to the best coach, just whoever had the biggest turnaround. Shrug.  

I agree with both of those Statements

8 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

What is DVOA? I noticed they ranked the 2008 Ravens over the 2008 Steelers using that metric. That years Ravens defense was great but the 08 Steelers defense was godly.

The 2008 ravens  one of the best defenses of the last 30 years. Right with the Steelers 

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That raven D event was not nearly as good as the Pittsburgh Steelers defense that year. Again stats dont tell an entire story and DVOA is flawed.

You have proven over and over again don’t believe in adjusted or advanced statistics just your eye test.