DPOY 2019

goldfishwars

Who you got?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is this year's DPOY

13 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Does White follow guys around, or does he play one side of the field? I suspect it's one side of the field since McDermott is zone heavy guy, although I'm not sure. If he doesn't follow like Gilmore, then there's your answer as to why Gilmore is getting so much more love (well, why he should be, we know in actuality it's as simple as 1 guy being a Patriot and the other being a BIll).

Now that doesn't mean White isn't an elite CB (see: LOB Sherman), but that difference in the difficulty of coverage responsibilities is absolutely a major "tiebreaker" of sorts when it comes to 2 CBs with comparable metrics IMO.

Depends on the gameplan and matchups... White does a both. Sometimes he will stay on one side and other times he will follow a reciever. Really depends. Most of time he stays on one side that which in my opinion is way harder than following a guy. If you follow one reciever you only have to prepare for one guy. You only have to deal with one type of reciever, only have to study one recievers tendencies in the film room... as opposed to staying to one side you have to be ready to see tall recievers, fast recievers, sometimes mismatches with TE/RB split out wide... you have to study every players tendencies. People seem to think that following a star reciever is harder. But it actually simplifies preparation and makes it easier on Corners

Stephon Gilmore is probably going to win it just because they haven't had a DB win the title since Troy Polamalu.  

But, I think TJ Watt deserves it the most.  

Gilmore could barely keep up with Amari Cooper a few weeks back, and he really struggled.  

He's just not as consistent as Watt is.  

I don't think I've ever seen TJ have a bad game for Pittsburgh.  

6 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

Tre White has also been exceptional.  Brady needs to stay well away from him on Sunday. 

He has been great. But one has to look closer at who he has had to cover this year, too. Stats alone does not explain it all.

Does he play man or zone more? does he play in cover 2 or cover 0? things like that count. But in the end, he is real good for sure. Buffy's defense is good as a result.

2 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Stephon Gilmore is probably going to win it just because they haven't had a DB win the title since Troy Polamalu.  

But, I think TJ Watt deserves it the most.  

Gilmore could barely keep up with Amari Cooper a few weeks back, and he really struggled.  

He's just not as consistent as Watt is.  

I don't think I've ever seen TJ have a bad game for Pittsburgh.  

Gilmore completely shut down Amari, he was hopeless against Gilmore. Enough with these blatant lies.

Edited by SBLIII
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Depends on the gameplan and matchups... White does a both. Sometimes he will stay on one side and other times he will follow a reciever. Really depends. Most of time he stays on one side that which in my opinion is way harder than following a guy. If you follow one reciever you only have to prepare for one guy. You only have to deal with one type of reciever, only have to study one recievers tendencies in the film room... as opposed to staying to one side you have to be ready to see tall recievers, fast recievers, sometimes mismatches with TE/RB split out wide... you have to study every players tendencies. People seem to think that following a star reciever is harder. But it actually simplifies preparation and makes it easier on Corners

That is just an outrageous spin zone. So Nnamdi had a harder time than Revis? Teams just didn't throw to his side of the field, and put their best targets on the other side, and the Raiders pass D was never anything special. The Revis Jets literally had a top tier defense designed around Revis's ability to takeaway opposing #1s, they couldn't just hide from him... I mean why wouldn't every team with a pro bowl caliber corner just have them follow around opposing #1s if it was EASIER (not just "as hard", but EASIER lmao)?

This is one of the most egregious takes for the sake of homerism I've ever seen, staying on one side of the field is harder than running around chasing a #1. Jesus Christ...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That is just an outrageous spin zone. So Nnamdi had a harder time than Revis? Teams just didn't throw to his side of the field, and put their best targets on the other side, and the Raiders pass D was never anything special. The Revis Jets literally had a top tier defense designed around Revis's ability to takeaway opposing #1s, they couldn't just hide from him... I mean why wouldn't every team with a pro bowl caliber corner just have them follow around opposing #1s if it was EASIER (not just "as hard", but EASIER lmao)?

This is one of the most egregious takes for the sake of homerism I've ever seen, staying on one side of the field is harder than running around chasing a #1. Jesus Christ...

Not to mention the fact that playing both sides is a lot harder because its almost like kicking/throwing with your non-dominant foot on the side they aren't as familiar/comfortable with.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Not to mention the fact that playing both sides is a lot harder because its almost like kicking/throwing with your non-dominant foot on the side they aren't as familiar/comfortable with.

Exactly. Using the boundary is essential to any CB technique on the outside. That's the #1 reason I'd reckon it is so rare for CBs to shadow, most are better off shutting down their side of the field where they have mastered the technique with the boundary to their ___ (right OR left) than being put out of position on an unfamiliar side. Now I've never played CB, and I'm sure it's something a CB could pick up in an offseason or maybe even week to week and get equally comfortable, but play to play?... and you can imagine how drastic a difference slot CB becomes when you don't have help in the form of the sidelines. I watched Rhodes 2017 tape and he would follow #1s, and did a fantastic job of it, but he would pretty much never venture into the slot, since a physical and big corner like himself who loved press man needed that boundary to play his preferred technique.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Lol one of the best takes I've seen on this forum...

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I know gilmore has had an amazing year, but Aaron donald is the best defensive player in the NFL

He is, but he doesn't have the numbers this year to be DPOY.

You can't just give Aaron Donald the title when there's at least 5 guys that have more sacks than he does.  

23 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Gilmore completely shut down Amari, he was hopeless against Gilmore. Enough with these blatant lies.

Yeah clearly there must be a different imaginary universe where Gilmore didn’t obliterate Cooper and he was watching THAT game. Perhaps this is one of those Mandela Effect moments, but no one else existed within that universe to have similar feelings of disillusionment?

... On another note after yesterdays slate of games, I’m reminded of how dominant Donald is, but in good faith its hard for me to give the DPOY award to a player on a team not in the playoffs as football is ultimately a team sport. Just as I couldn’t give MVP to a player whose team doesn’t make the playoffs. So with that preface, Donald is eliminated out of the competition and it’s going to come down to TJ Watt and Stephon Gilmore. As it stands I have Watt slightly above. Though in third I would have Cam Jordan with an outside shot of winning if he can put together two elite games. That said, if Watt can reach 16+ sacks I think its his award to lose. Especially since he has 2 interceptions, 7 PD, and 6 FF to boot. He’s stuffed the stat sheet in coverage areas and pass rush areas. Had Gilmore continued to go all year without a TD given, I might’ve leaned toward him for that is a crazy stat to almost happen. Though if Gilmore can return another interception to the house, I might lean his way. Either way this is a race that I see coming down to that last defensive performance.

Edited by diamondbull424

Gilmore got roasted by John Brown, and has now allowed his first TD of the season. It was man coverage with a deep safety, so that falls on Gilmore for dropping off the route in man.

<insert hate towards Allen/brown here.>

How drastically does this hurt Gillys chance at DPOY now?

• Like 2