Cardinals release Terrell Suggs; claimed by Chiefs

RaidersAreOne

27 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Suggs shows to the practice facility, hold his hand out, and says "I'm really looking forward to getting a thorough look at your playbook" with a big smile on his face...

WYD?

Give him a fake playbook, of course.

• Like 1

Terrell Suggs, released by the Cardinals on Friday and eligible to be claimed on waivers Monday at 4 p.m. ET, will strongly consider not reporting if a team other than the Baltimore Ravens claims him, league sources say.

Any team that claims Suggs will owe him just over $350,000 for the final two weeks of the regular season. But Suggs doesn't care about that money; he cares about returning to Baltimore, which is his overwhelming preference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28298112/sources-terrell-suggs-angling-claimed-ravens-only

Didn't see this update posted, but Adam Schefter is apparently saying that Suggs is prepared to play hardball and not report if another team other than the Ravens pick him up.

Might be in all the teams best interest (except the Cards) to simply not put in a waiver claim. Suggs gets to keep his guaranteed cash from them and in addition gets to go “wherever he wants” without any last minute drama before a playoff push. Said team would need to cut a player only for Suggs to not report? Than hope to get that cut player back for the playoff push?

I know I’m biased, but I could see how even in being “petty” it wouldn’t be worth it for the potential for this move to backfire.

Edited by diamondbull424

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I know I’m biased, but I could see how even in being “petty” it wouldn’t be worth it for the potential for this move to backfire.

Deion Sanders was coming out of retirement to join the Raiders in their Super Bowl push but was claimed by San Diego and stayed retired. SD was out of the playoff race but just wanted to hurt Oakland. Doubt he gets his wish to return to Ravens.

37 minutes ago, G said:

Deion Sanders was coming out of retirement to join the Raiders in their Super Bowl push but was claimed by San Diego and stayed retired. SD was out of the playoff race but just wanted to hurt Oakland. Doubt he gets his wish to return to Ravens.

Perhaps. But football rivalries meant more back then. The Bengals would be more worried about evaluating young talent. Wouldn’t put that maneuver past the Browns. The Steelers seem like the type of classy organization that wouldn’t pull this move... they also have some of the most ferocious rushers. The Browns... well, I wouldn’t put it past them doing it just for some sort of last minute “win” to their fans. The Patriots could do it for strategic purposes.

My only question would be what if Suggs reports, but then decides to not play for his new team come gameday due to injury. There’s still two weeks left in the season. If a playoff team picks him up, Suggs could potentially nuke their chances by joining the roster, forcing them to cut another player (potentially a key special teamer)... and then pull a Jalen Ramsey. Back in Deion’s day, players didn’t have that level of understood leverage.

Dont disagree but the plot definitely thickens. We’ll see come Monday how this saga unfolds.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Perhaps. But football rivalries meant more back then. The Bengals would be more worried about evaluating young talent. Wouldn’t put that maneuver past the Browns. The Steelers seem like the type of classy organization that wouldn’t pull this move... they also have some of the most ferocious rushers. The Browns... well, I wouldn’t put it past them doing it just for some sort of last minute “win” to their fans. The Patriots could do it for strategic purposes.

My only question would be what if Suggs reports, but then decides to not play for his new team come gameday due to injury. There’s still two weeks left in the season. If a playoff team picks him up, Suggs could potentially nuke their chances by joining the roster, forcing them to cut another player (potentially a key special teamer)... and then pull a Jalen Ramsey. Back in Deion’s day, players didn’t have that level of understood leverage.

Dont disagree but the plot definitely thickens. We’ll see come Monday how this saga unfolds.

I would rather cut a 3rd stringer before I let a team I might play in the playoffs get a good starter at a position of need.  I believe there is a designation you could give him that would not effect the 53 man roster if he does not show.

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

The Patriots could do it for strategic purposes.

This is what I'd expect. BB took an injured TE when he had 3 of them already so the Giants couldn't 'stash' him. It didn't help either team but laid the groundwork of what BB would do.

If a player come out and says, that his motivation is to play for a certain team, then I don't see a reason for a team to claim him besides to sabotage his wish/make sure he doesn't improve the competition.

I don't know how that would reflect back on that organization from players perspective, but I doubt it would be viewed at as a something positive.

Besides that, if a team who could benefit from Suggs not ending up in Baltimore, I can understand it as he would upgrade the part of the Ravens defense that is currently struggling.

If New England did it, I could see Suggs just saying "NO" or try to get at Brady in practice just to hit him and make him cry one last time.

If the Chiefs claimed him, I could see him give it a go as he would still have a great chance to get a ring.