Which Coach-Needy Team Benefits the Most From Greg Roman as a Head Coach?

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Roman just started as Baltimore's OC.  

Lamar Jackson is the sole reason why Baltimore's offense is so successful.  

Has nothing to do with Roman.  

Mahomes is crazy talented too. His success in KC probably has nothing to do with Andy Reid either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jg77 said:

Yeah but why flame out with a lesser QB like he did in previous stints as an OC when he has his ideal QB and can build sustained success.  I get what you're saying but I cannot see him leaving.  Maybe in a couple of years but not this upcoming offseason.

Most coordinators probably want to be head coaches, and you simply never know when that opportunity is going to arise again (if ever). Roman in particular knows that all too well as his coaching career nearly tanked after the 49ers / Harbaugh debacle. He was thought to be a hot head coaching candidate in those early 49ers years with harbs and then it just completely evaporated and it's taken him 5 years to get back to it. 

Now, if he doesn't want to be a head coach, that's a different story. I have no idea whether or not he does, but if he does, you generally need to strike while the iron is hot. The NFL landscape is littered with guys who were hot names for a season or two, didn't get a job, and then they fell from grace (Teryl Austin, anyone?) 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I always thought Roman did a good job with athletic QBs, but IIRC, 49ers fans were really fed up with him near the end of the Harbaugh era. @J-ALL-DAY, @N4L, @Forge, etc., is that correct? If so, why?

He couldn't coordinate a complex passing offense to save his life. So rudimentary. Was hard to watch. Receivers running routes over one another. You could cover three receivers with one db sometimes. His running game was always creative and wonderful though.... Except for the fascination with jumbo sets

May not be all on him, lots of cooks in the kitchen with that regime

• Like 1

This is a weird thread if Greg Roman was worthy of being a head coach(and Im sure he'd get his shot this year if he wants) then wouldnt he be good enough to adapt his schemes to his players strengths? 

I mean if you go to atlanta and try to make matt ryan run the ball a lot you probably didnt deserve that job no?

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

He couldn't coordinate a complex passing offense to save his life. So rudimentary. Was hard to watch. Receivers running routes over one another. You could cover three receivers with one db sometimes. His running game was always creative and wonderful though.... Except for the fascination with jumbo sets

Yes, I was going to say this. 

Basically, Jim Harbaugh had 3 people calling plays. Roman would call run plays and a lot of passing plays, someone else would call passing plays on third and long, and then someone else would call redzone plays. The way our offense ran there would be two playcalls in the huddle and then the QB had the option to kill the first play and use the second play or just use the first play. Roman was in the booth, so he would give his playcall(s) in, along with another coach (sometimes) to harbaugh on the sideline, who would then call two plays to our QB, who would then call two plays in the huddle... we would constantly line up with less than 5s left on the play clock. it was a mess and we never could figure it out

The passing plays were often very simple. hardly any double moves or anything like that. The running plays were genius though. It was a very conservative offense that was meant to hold the ball and give the defense rest. (those defenses don't get enough credit historically but that's another topic).

Its clear that either roman has learned a lot about how to scheme passing plays, or he wasn't given enough control of the offense at the time. probably both

@jrry32

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

This is a weird thread if Greg Roman was worthy of being a head coach(and Im sure he'd get his shot this year if he wants) then wouldnt he be good enough to adapt his schemes to his players strengths? 

I mean if you go to atlanta and try to make matt ryan run the ball a lot you probably didnt deserve that job no?

I'm basically just asking which situation would be the best for him to go to, essentially. Maybe he could adapt his scheme, but he's always ran the same thing since 2011 so idk.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm basically just asking which situation would be the best for him to go to, essentially. Maybe he could adapt his scheme, but he's always ran the same thing since 2011 so idk.

If Carolina wasnt moving on from Cam they'd be perfect.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Cleveland's offense would be nice with Roman. He'd just run the entire thing through Chubb and Hunt, turn Mayfield into a bit of a game manager to start off, and Cleveland and it's offense would be the better for it. 

I could also dig the fit in Dallas. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

This is exactly why he won't be the OC every HC needy team is looking to hire. It's not like the Lamar's, Kaepernicks and Taylor's he needs to make his system thrive, grow on trees.

Serious question what opening out there fits (QB) what he does?

On 12/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, sryan66611 said:

you have some serious random hot takes with zero knowledge. 

Roman was successful with

Kapernick 49ers (went to a SB)

Bills Tyrod Taylor had his best seasons ever as a pro with him.

Also, Lamar wasn't that great last season as a rookie running a different system.  Yes he was a rookie I still think he would have done better with Roman as the full time OC.

If you look at that entire '11 season, Alex Smith had a very good year that year. Following season, Smith was looking great again until the injury. He was on pace for 24TDs/10INTs 3300+ yards. Smith's season werent that much different stat wise as Keaps.

So I just think Roman is very good at playing to the strengths of his QBs.

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

On a more serious note, success as an OC does not equal success as a HC. Just look at McDaniels. Some guys should stick to their craft.

While I agree to an extent the opposite end of the spectrum is finding the next Shanahan's,  Pederson's, Reich's and Payton's of the NFL as well.

McDaniel's was just the poster boy for what you dont want in a HC, Back Then. Now maybe he's learned?

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

If you look at that entire '11 season, Alex Smith had a very good year that year. Following season, Smith was looking great again until the injury. He was on pace for 24TDs/10INTs 3300+ yards. Smith's season werent that much different stat wise as Keaps.

So I just think Roman is very good at playing to the strengths of his QBs.

Very great trait. Not many coaches seem to do that as ridiculous as it sounds.

That's what makes me lean towards being someone I'd be cool with the Jaguars really looking into. Haven't had that at the HC position ever really.

Edited by .Buzz