Should the Jets re-sign Robby Anderson?

BlaZeN37

Felt like thus deserved its own thread.

Robby has made huge strides over the past month or so towards being a more complete receiver. His contest catch ability has been particularly impressive. It feels like it’s a forgone conclusion that RA is gone after the season, but I think his recent play has given JD something to think about. I personally hope the Jets do re-sign him. With DeVante Parker just signing a 4 year $40M extension, I would imagine Robby would cost somewhere around 4 years $50M.

• Like 1

Of all of our offseason decisions on resigns, who we let walk and cuts... he’s the hardest. For me it’s where the FO should put a price as to his value for us. And stay true to that number. If he plays hardball and wants to test the market and try and get more... so be it. Last thing I’d do is overpay for him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Of all of our offseason decisions on resigns, who we let walk and cuts... he’s the hardest. For me it’s where the FO should put a price as to his value for us. And stay true to that number. If he plays hardball and wants to test the market and try and get more... so be it. Last thing I’d do is overpay for him.

Totally agree. He's not a well rounded enough WR to be giving top money to. I see him more as a pretty good #2 than a #1 WR. If we need to pay him more than is reasonable for that role, I'd be inclined to let him walk and try to pick up a one-dimensional deep threat as well as continuing to look for a true #1. If we content ourselves with him as #1, I think we'll be holding ourselves back.

That said, as far as I can tell, he's only missed two games in his career. Every time I see him out there I feel like he's so skinny he's going to get broken in half. Somehow, he's managed to avoid notable injuries. And he is valuable as a deep threat and speed guy. If his zero 1000 yard seasons and his limits as a receiver keep his price down to a respectable #2 salary, I'd be very happy to keep him.

The issue is Robby has routinely said hes a top 5 WR. Which he clearly is not. Robby is a solid WR who Iwould like on the roster, but he disappears often. Hes more of a #2 WR than a #1. Hes certainly not a top 5-10 WR. 

Hes been doing a better job catching contested balls lately, that is one issue I had with him, he was too weak and if the QB threw to him while he wasn't open or wasn't a perfect pass it would be intercepted or incomplete. a true #1 WR will bail their QB out at times.

It all depends on how much Robby asks for. I would not give him elite money. 

We lack talent.  We all agree on that.  Letting go of Robby and Adams is a drain on what little we have.  I understand if RA wants top WR money, but we should do what it takes to keep those 2.  Bell can go because I do not value RB as highly as some until everything else is fixed (OL, CB, Edge, etc.).

Tag him, because he's going to be asking for big money. Then lets see what he does the following year. If someone wants him, let them cough up a 2nd rounder. Were in desperate need of players on the Jets. I would also inquire about OBJ who is lightyears better than Anderson. Maybe the Jets can swing the newly acquired 3rd rounder(66) to Cleveland for him. How insulting it would be to the Giants if OBJ came back only to haunt the Giants for trading him. 

It all depends on how much money he's demanding. I'd love to keep him. Him, crowder, another WR, and Griffin/Herndon would be a great combination. You have someone that can stretch the defense, someone that can eat you up from the inside, and another threat to go to. Through this mess, he and Bell have been pretty positive through the trade talks and the losing. I don't have a reason why I wouldn't want him back. Take away the luke Fulk & Sam's Ghost/Mono games (Most of the season), he's averaging 100yds games he was targeted more than 5 times in. 

We will have the money to pay up, but sometimes what WR's get in free agency is crazy and I couldn't blame him for demanding it. Then I'd try to trade him after tagging and getting whatever we can. This upcoming draft seems pretty loaded in the positions we are looking at, so I'm cool with only getting a 3rd or 4th for him. 

I would resign him. Really impressed with how he's developed on-and-off the field, and his rapport with Darnold can't be understated. Bring him and Demaryius back and draft a WR in the 2nd/3rd round. If Robby walks for more money, look into adding Sammy Watkins/Demarcus Robinson/Phillip Dorsett/Corey Davis and accompany them with a draft pick. 

• Like 1