Should the Jets re-sign Robby Anderson?

BlaZeN37

11 hours ago, drew39k said:

The problem is that you would have to pay him before he hits FA so you would be gambling that Cooper is available and willing to come here by choosing to let Anderson get to FA.

True, I didn't think about this. I just don't want to overpay for Robby just because he's our best receiver, because that doesn't mean he's a great receiver.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

True, I didn't think about this. I just don't want to overpay for Robby just because he's our best receiver, because that doesn't mean he's a great receiver.

Ya we have to pay him on his actual value. Not that we don't have really any good WRs. Like I said... he should only be offered around 8-9mill per at max if Parker just got 10 per and is out producing him and around the same age.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya we have to pay him on his actual value. Not that we don't have really any good WRs. Like I said... he should only be offered around 8-9mill per at max if Parker just got 10 per and is out producing him and around the same age.

What is alternative if we let him walk ? It will be another hole to fill. If we can pay Quincy Enunwa, millions of dollars for three straight year for doing nothing we can pay Anderson. Even if Anderson, stays we still need another top receiver. We have to many holes to fill on our roster now, we can't make any more dumb moves.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

sep-2000-steve-smith-of-the-utah-utes-wa

He has easily 10-20lbs more weight on him. He also played tough. Hamler is smaller and not nearly as tough. I know you were just saying a name and not 100% saying that's who you want us to get... but for me that's a very small dude when we need LEGIT WR help. Not a 5'8" 170lb guy trying to play NFL football.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

After 4 years Parker had 163 receptions with 9TDs.  Robby, with two games to go in his 4th season has 202 receptions and 19 TDs. IMO, he’s worth at least as much as Parker. Four years 40-45m sounds about right. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He has easily 10-20lbs more weight on him. He also played tough. Hamler is smaller and not nearly as tough. I know you were just saying a name and not 100% saying that's who you want us to get... but for me that's a very small dude when we need LEGIT WR help. Not a 5'8" 170lb guy trying to play NFL football.

I just totally disagree with the logic. (1) size is total speculation and assumption at this point; (2) you shouldn't judge a player just because he doesn't fit a certain size threshold. There aren't many receivers out there who are 5'8"-5'9", 170-185 lb. just as there aren't many 6'6, 240 lb receivers out there. Playing that cookie-cutter mold game will result in missing on a prospect. 

Now, as far as the need to add a more traditional possession receiver, yes of course I agree with you, which is why I would double dip in this year's deep draft class. But that doesn't mean you refuse to select a player like Hamler, who has elite speed, quickness, game-breaking ability, and can serve as a top-notch special teamer. Sure, the easy comparison is Tavon Austin - a 5'8", 174 lb. receiver who was selected in the top 10 end was a bust, but for every Tavon Austin there's a Tyreek Hill - who is also a small receiver (5'8", 185 lb.) with insane speed and quickness... getting players with that kind of speed are hard to come by, and Hamler has it. Worth the risk of him outside of round 1 not being "big enough" to offer "LEGIT WR help"... 

Edited by jetskid007

14 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I just totally disagree with the logic. (1) size is total speculation and assumption at this point; (2) you shouldn't judge a player just because he doesn't fit a certain size threshold. There aren't many receivers out there who are 5'8"-5'9", 170-185 lb. just as there aren't many 6'6, 240 lb receivers out there. Playing that cookie-cutter mold game will result in missing on a prospect. 

Now, as far as the need to add a more traditional possession receiver, yes of course I agree with you, which is why I would double dip in this year's deep draft class. But that doesn't mean you refuse to select a player like Hamler, who has elite speed, quickness, game-breaking ability, and can serve as a top-notch special teamer. Sure, the easy comparison is Tavon Austin - a 5'8", 174 lb. receiver who was selected in the top 10 end was a bust, but for every Tavon Austin there's a Tyreek Hill - who is also a small receiver (5'8", 185 lb.) with insane speed and quickness... getting players with that kind of speed are hard to come by, and Hamler has it. Worth the risk of him outside of round 1 not being "big enough" to offer "LEGIT WR help"... 

I understand what you're saying... but I just think there's loads of other talented WRs that better suit us. It is one of the best WR classes ever.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I understand what you're saying... but I just think there's loads of other talented WRs that better suit us. It is one of the best WR classes ever.

That doesn't mean we can't select more traditional big bodied possession receiver to accompany him (say Tee Higgins, Brandon Aiyuk, Tyler Johnson, Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims, etc.), but with DeVonta Smith leaning towards returning and Henry Ruggs locked in round 1, I don't think you'll find a guy with greater play making ability than Hamler outside of round 1.

Also, I think it's important to keep in mind that Jamison Crowder's contract was really only a 2-year deal (final year is a non-guaranteed $10m); while I'd absolutely extend him, creating a pipeline wouldn't be such a bad thing either... as he develops into a more nuanced slot-receiver, Hamler can be a quicker, more explosive version of Crowder (5'8", 185 lbs.) in this offense.

Essentially I would draft Hamler as a replacement to Berrios in the short-term while giving him a more active role on offense and special teams while also understanding that his talent could lead to a number of possibilities as an outside deep threat or an inside slot receiver with tremendous YAC ability. Just my POV

5 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

That doesn't mean we can't select more traditional big bodied possession receiver to accompany him (say Tee Higgins, Brandon Aiyuk, Tyler Johnson, Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims, etc.), but with DeVonta Smith leaning towards returning and Henry Ruggs locked in round 1, I don't think you'll find a guy with greater play making ability than Hamler outside of round 1.

Also, I think it's important to keep in mind that Jamison Crowder's contract was really only a 2-year deal (final year is a non-guaranteed $10m); while I'd absolutely extend him, creating a pipeline wouldn't be such a bad thing either... as he develops into a more nuanced slot-receiver, Hamler can be a quicker, more explosive version of Crowder (5'8", 185 lbs.) in this offense.

Essentially I would draft Hamler as a replacement to Berrios in the short-term while giving him a more active role on offense and special teams while also understanding that his talent could lead to a number of possibilities as an outside deep threat or an inside slot receiver with tremendous YAC ability. Just my POV

I think we are beating this Anderson thing to death. He is the one guy on the team that has been playing great the last three weeks. We got bigger fish to fry like getting at least three O lineman in the draft or FA. The O line is the biggest weakness on the Jets. If we don't fix the O line next year will be another down year, an I have a belly full of down years

Edited by doumeyer
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 10:00 AM, jetskid007 said:

Only guy I can think of with elite physical tools outside round 1 would be Reagor.  He looks the part of a game breaker with speed.

Keep an eye on Breshad Perriman as a cheaper alternative to Robby or a replacement to DT if he decides to hang them up. 

Still only 26, was taken round 1 by the Ravens while Joe Douglas was still part of the organization so he has intel on him, and he's shown glimpses of a mid-career resurgence with CLE last year and TB this year. Wouldn't thread the needle, but could be a sneaky addition. 

46 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Keep an eye on Breshad Perriman as a cheaper alternative to Robby or a replacement to DT if he decides to hang them up. 

Still only 26, was taken round 1 by the Ravens while Joe Douglas was still part of the organization so he has intel on him, and he's shown glimpses of a mid-career resurgence with CLE last year and TB this year. Wouldn't thread the needle, but could be a sneaky addition. 

Only if he came super cheap. That guy cannot catch.